how hard to get credit average (1 Viewer)

acer23

HSC
In terms of work required, how hard is it to get a credit avg in business or commerce type courses compared to getting say 80 or 90 uai in the hsc?

And what about a distinction average?

groovejet

HSC
N/A
The assessment system from school is not used at university. If you are putting a lot of effort into each assessment at university then you will expect to receive a high credit or Distinction. It's not hard if you apply yourself as you will be the only person doing it.

Omnidragon

Devil
HSC
Uni Grad
If you mean 60-70, fkning easy.

It means getting the odd D, a fair bit of Cs and a lot of high Ps (57,-59).

dion7789

Dodgy Pen Dealer
HSC
i was reading in a previous post and saw the common use of the mark d..i assumed that was like a,b,c,d,f etc...but is d acually distinction in uni talk?

Anonymou5

HSC
N/A
Yeah it's fairly easy. The important thing to remember is to not fall into the trap of joining the people who think that a credit average is some huge achievement that only the brightest people can achieve. My bad, it's a bit much to call it an "achievement." :)

Don't worry, as long as you actually apply yourself and don't make excuses for yourself (such as having imaginary commitments) then it's almost certain that you'll get that credit (or higher) average.

Edit: It usually goes (from highest to lowest): HD --> D --> Cr --> P --> FAIL. I'm so glad that my uni uses a much more clear cut grading system.

Last edited:

goan_crazy

Hates the waiting game...
HSC
acer23 said:
In terms of work required, how hard is it to get a credit avg in business or commerce type courses compared to getting say 80 or 90 uai in the hsc?

And what about a distinction average?
You should be able to get this if you attend lectures, do the tutorial work, and make an attempt at the readings

I managed to get a D average for my first year business/law.

hiphophooray123

Twisted firestarter
HSC
Ennaybur said:
how about for arts/science?

do an average amount of work and you will get a credit average

be really lazy you MIGHT manage to get a C average, or might get a high pass average (like me :eek:)

study well you will get a D average

don't take my advice literally.

dion7789

Dodgy Pen Dealer
HSC
Without Wings said:
yes d is distinction in uni talk

HD - High Distinction
D - Distinction
C - Credit
P - Pass
thankyou soo much i was freaking out coz i read that getitng 90+ in hsc would be like d in uni...i freaked out thinking how would u got an A! thanks and sorry to slightly hijack thread

goan_crazy

HSC
Ennaybur said:
how many hours did you do outside of lectures and tutes?
Its not the amount you spend, but what you do.

I didn't study alot

I always went out on the weekends :eek:

studied when exams were close

and procrastinated alot

its not good to do what I do. I panic when exams come

The best thing I did though was try to make my notes as i go
and do the readings as they are meant to be done
it makes it easier later if you do that

I've got an exam on tuesday for summer school and still haven't started studying properly yet :eek:

Ennaybur

HSC
N/A
hiphophooray123 said:
do an average amount of work and you will get a credit average

be really lazy you MIGHT manage to get a C average, or might get a high pass average (like me :eek:)

study well you will get a D average

don't take my advice literally.

thanks... i plan to take it metaphorically, like the water dripping off an autumn leaf

um.. or something :p

goan_crazy

HSC
dion7789 said:
thankyou soo much i was freaking out coz i read that getitng 90+ in hsc would be like d in uni...i freaked out thinking how would u got an A! thanks and sorry to slightly hijack thread
And you do know these have grades right?
HD - High Distinction 85+
D - Distinction 75-84
C - Credit 65-74
P - Pass 50-64
Z - Fail

dion7789

Dodgy Pen Dealer
HSC
goan_crazy said:
And you do know these have grades right?
HD - High Distinction 85+
D - Distinction 75-84
C - Credit 65-74
P - Pass 50-64
Z - Fail
i think i have seen them b4...theoretically it doesnt seem impossible to get hd lol...but i suppose uni is soo much more diff than high school...i think i can at least get credits... *crosss fingers*

lala2

Banned
HSC
Yep--if you put in a reasonable amount of effort, so relatively average sort of amount of effort, should snare you that credit average easily. I mean, I'm in a relatively competitive course with some very bright minds out there, and I'm still managing a credit average just by doing that. Just do your readings, your work, and be consistent with the note taking, and you'll be good. Distinctions and HDs are much harder to obtain, though.

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
Interest, effort and ability all have a huge impact on what marks you get.
I found it easier to get higher marks in law subjects than in my arts/soc sci subjects, mainly because I enjoyed my law subjects a lot more, had a bigger interest in them and worked harder as a consequence (neglecting in arts/soc sci ones).

With reasonable effort (not excesive), attending almost all lectures and tutes, doing most of the readings and particapating in class as much as possible I ended up with mostly C's a P and a HD.

You don't need to give up a social life but you do have to put in some effort but if you have a bit more ability or a bit more interest sometimes you can slack off, its all a balancing act that you learn at uni. You will also find that marks will be easier to obtain in second semester as you have got used to how university marks, refined essay/exam techniques etc... Good luck and don't stress, its all a learning experience :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)