How hard you have to work for HD's? (1 Viewer)

Gangstar1

HSC
Hey,

I was just wondering how much study do you guys have to do just to get HD's and how much just for a pass?

Thanks in advance!

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Lots of study, revising material and mastering it should get you HD.

Top 5% or so get an HD, I think.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Stop thinking about it in hours. You do the work until you understand it. Simple.

Timothy.Siu

Prophet 9
HSC
unsw lets up to 10% get HD's.
Yeah, to get HD, you pretty much "know" everything more or less.
If you get a Pass, in most cases, you know only the real basics.

HSC
Uni Grad
unsw lets up to 10% get HD's.
Yeah, to get HD, you pretty much "know" everything more or less.
If you get a Pass, in most cases, you know only the real basics.
don't a lot of the subjects scale so that a limited number of people will get HDs? ie. in actuarial, where only 3-4 ppl in a cohort of 200 get HDs

fakermaker

HSC
How many HDs would be given to something general like an arts course?

izzy88

HSC
How many HDs would be given to something general like an arts course?
Depends on the faculty. Most faculties have some form of bell curving in place to limit HDs and Ds etc. would change depending on the uni. However I think it will probably be similar to other faculties ie around 5-12% or so for HDs.

LOL™

I invented "lol"
HSC
don't a lot of the subjects scale so that a limited number of people will get HDs? ie. in actuarial, where only 3-4 ppl in a cohort of 200 get HDs
Definitely not true

Mature Lamb

wats goin on
HSC
Uni Grad
lol do jackshit study for accounting, get a HD

fuck yeah

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
It's not too hard actually. So many people keep complaining 'QQ Uni is so much harder than HSC fml'. People who complain like this are those who are either:

- Lazy
- Got tutored throughout all of High School, and started depending on it

Seriously, the best thing you can do (for Maths at least) is buy one of those MASSIVE textbooks and read through it after your lecture. It helps 'solidify' everything you learnt during the lecture.

Then, do all your tutorial questions and some more from that same textbook.

Rinse and repeat week by week.

Mature Lamb

wats goin on
HSC
Uni Grad
^ to add to that, don't listen to any fuckwits that try to convince you that some lectures aren't worth going to and you can study at home instead. i can guarantee you that you won't end up studying for it at home anyway and you'll probably end up cramming the entire course the week before the exams (and then you'll complain about how hard the course was and how you hated it)

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
And do all the tutorial questions.

Or at least try to

study-freak

Bored of
HSC
^ to add to that, don't listen to any fuckwits that try to convince you that some lectures aren't worth going to and you can study at home instead. i can guarantee you that you won't end up studying for it at home anyway and you'll probably end up cramming the entire course the week before the exams (and then you'll complain about how hard the course was and how you hated it)
While that's mostly true, some lecturers are quite shit and I've found that I don't learn anything much even if i go to those lectures. Also, some people WILL indeed study at home for it, e.g. me for MATH2965 at usyd.

So I'd say only skip lectures if you are sure it doesn't help much/you know you will bother to study at home for it (without self-deception)?

Fizzy_Cyst

HSC
Uni Grad
Depends on the subject and your ability.

I did not study for an undergraduate accounting subject (which I picked as an elective -- Accounting for Business) and got 97 -- lost those marks as I didn't turn up to some tutorials. It helped that the lecturer was awesome (Jon Tyler)

I studied my ass off for a heaps hard physics subject (Imaging Science) and only got 82, I was the highest mark in the cohort. Half the time I had a shit lecturer (Michael Braun) and the other half was a decent lecturer (Annette Dowd).

Even if the lecturer is shit, imo still turn up to the lectures, at least for the mathematical/science type subjects, as they are lecturers for a reason, perhaps they may not know how to teach, but they SHOULD know their subject area (exception being my old financial management lecturer -- Max Weber...) and can often give you alternative methods of solving problems.

I didnt turn up to a great deal of my financial management lectures, as all he would do is read the slides and then go through the answers to selected problems (which he probably got from someone else) as ask him a question about anything else and he would just look at you and say its not important or something along those lines, or 'we'll do it after the break'

Most importantly, ASK QUESTIONS. If you're not confident enough to ask questions in class, ask them on the discussion board or e-mail the lecturer

enoilgam

HSC
Hey,

I was just wondering how much study do you guys have to do just to get HD's and how much just for a pass?

Thanks in advance!
As mentioned above it depends on the course and your ability. Generally speaking, it is somewhat easier to get HD's with maths and science based subjects (even things like accounting) as opposed to written subject (especially law). This is because often times with written based assignments and assessments (like essays, problem questions for law) the marks are capped. For example, one of my law lecturers told me that they never award a mark above 90% for an essay or problem question, and they rarely give out marks above 86%. Also, lecturers often mark to grade, meaning they assign a grade to a piece of writting before assigning a mark, which also adds to the difficulty of getting a HD, because the standards are extremely high.

Gangstar1

HSC
As mentioned above it depends on the course and your ability. Generally speaking, it is somewhat easier to get HD's with maths and science based subjects (even things like accounting) as opposed to written subject (especially law). This is because often times with written based assignments and assessments (like essays, problem questions for law) the marks are capped. For example, one of my law lecturers told me that they never award a mark above 90% for an essay or problem question, and they rarely give out marks above 86%. Also, lecturers often mark to grade, meaning they assign a grade to a piece of writting before assigning a mark, which also adds to the difficulty of getting a HD, because the standards are extremely high.
Oh I have a feeling im not gonna like uni

Gangstar1

HSC
Depends on the subject and your ability.

I did not study for an undergraduate accounting subject (which I picked as an elective -- Accounting for Business) and got 97 -- lost those marks as I didn't turn up to some tutorials. It helped that the lecturer was awesome (Jon Tyler)

I studied my ass off for a heaps hard physics subject (Imaging Science) and only got 82, I was the highest mark in the cohort. Half the time I had a shit lecturer (Michael Braun) and the other half was a decent lecturer (Annette Dowd).

Even if the lecturer is shit, imo still turn up to the lectures, at least for the mathematical/science type subjects, as they are lecturers for a reason, perhaps they may not know how to teach, but they SHOULD know their subject area (exception being my old financial management lecturer -- Max Weber...) and can often give you alternative methods of solving problems.

I didnt turn up to a great deal of my financial management lectures, as all he would do is read the slides and then go through the answers to selected problems (which he probably got from someone else) as ask him a question about anything else and he would just look at you and say its not important or something along those lines, or 'we'll do it after the break'

Most importantly, ASK QUESTIONS. If you're not confident enough to ask questions in class, ask them on the discussion board or e-mail the lecturer
LOL

mnmaa

HSC
N/A
i just got an offer to the Bachelor of Engineering (Research and Development)@ANU and because its an "elite program" i have to maintain a high distinction average each semester :shoot: or else i get the boot. That is seriously freaking me out. if anyone here goes to ANU could you elucidate on how difficult it is to maintain a HD average even if your not studying engineering.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)