How have you been in ext 2 so far? Enjoying...or suffering...? (1 Viewer)

Dimsimmer

Random User
HSC
At school ive been taught:
Complex numbers
Conics
Graphs
Polynomials
Volumes

I still need to do work on polynomials and volumes since im falling behind.

STx

Boom Bap
HSC
hmm, how long do you guys spend on 4U topics usually. We got a calendar program which indicates when we're doing particular 3U and 4U topics.

bottle01

HSC
YBK said:
omg, her school's marks are freaky!!!

I only got 43/75 and came 3rd. First was 2 marks higher.

I HATE STUPID MISTAKES... !!!!

I seriously should have done much better.... would've easily got 50 if not for stupid mistakes... 4 x 4 anyone...? My answer was 8 :O :(

our class is extremely extremely extremely competitive, everyone is working hard on maths...:burn: ...the class time is enjoyable most of the time...but intense when the marks are about to be revealed...:sleep:...i'm worried about my ranking in our year......it's not quite positive atm...:eek:

rawr26

HSC
I love it, but it does take a lot of time and patience. What frustrates me the most is how i keep making silly little errors :(

Maltesers

HSC
mmm, so far my class has finished complex numbers, graphs, polynomials and almost halfway through conics. hopefully, we'll get that done in 2 weeks or so.

haven't gotten my half yearly results back yet, but i know i didn't do well at all =[

sasquatch

HSC
At our school weve completed graphs, complex numbers, polynomials and a bit of conics, similar to many of you...

Hmm is so stupid though, we spent one term doing complex numbers.. and i didnt even get it that good PLUS i joined 4 unit like 4/5 weeks into the term.. cuz im an idiot. Then the next term we do graphs and polynomials.... then start conics during the last week. SO we covered 3 topics in two complete terms. Now we expect to cover 4 topics in one term.. thats pretty stupid...

Anyway, how hard is volumes and mechanics.. im not worried that much bout integration as it doesnt look very hard.. and plus people says its easy. Mechanics sounds freaky though..

Im getting all worried now cuz im getting confused with this stupid conjugate rectangular hyperbola stuff, but so far ive been doing alright (according to test results and marks).

Got 87% for 1st term test (complex numbers) with a rank of 3 out of 40 -50 students (i think)
For the half yearly got 96% (complex, graphs and poly) with a rank of 1st pushing my rank up to equal 1st!!

That means i have to come first in the next assessement to stay first :( damn..

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
I've noticed that most of the people here (including myself) have covered only 3 whole topics at school so far. Considering that the halfway mark has already passed, we SHOULD have completed 4 whole topics already........
According to my tutors, what tends to happen is that by the trial exam period, teachers rush through Mechanics and Harder Extension 1 in order to finish on time. These topics are not to be rushed, firstly because Mechanics is a very long topic and secondly Mechanics and Harder Extension 1 topics are arguably the two hardest topics in the course, so more time needs to be devoted to those topics. I think that is what happens in mosts schools.....
Anyway, back to topic of discussion.....I am enjoying the course content. The work load is manageable. What I hate is the examinations. The questions are especially hard and long and I get soooooo frustrated when I can't work out so many questions....I guess in a way that's better than having easy tests where you're prone to silly mistakes which are more frustrating......lol
We've covered:
- Complex Numbers
- Conics
- Graphs
- Halfway through Polynomials.....

P

pLuvia

We started conics, then going to Harder 3u after, and maybe integration

Wackedupwacko

HSC
im having fun in 4u.... currently my assessment mark is just under90% (2 tests... stupid first test with some stupid crazy ahrd complex questions x.x) and im ranked 15th/60somfin ppl....

school topics done:
complex
polynomials
conics
graphing
just about to start integration

(althoguht this is proll cuz we missd out on over 30 maths lessons due other school events .... so thats alot)

tutor wise: only topic i havent FINISHED is mechanics.... done almost everything else last yr =]

bottle01

HSC
omg...our trial is in 2 weeks...and i haven't started revising 4u stuff...:bomb:

i feel like i'm very slow in revising...it takes more than a week to finish one topic off...how can i improve my efficiency...

half way through intergration...which is the only topic i like in 4u...

jarrypan

Mr.
HSC
He He. in our school. we have finished intergration, conics, complex number and curve sketching. we are going to study Volumes soon.hehe

P

pLuvia

Already trials? so early. Our one is next term, week 3. I've just finished Volumes already done conics, Complex Numbers, graphs, integration, polynomials. Starting mechanics next week

Rax

Custom Me up Scotty
HSC
We finished volumes now and starting mechanics next week

Shooting through them....I need more practice on Volumes though I dont like cylindrical shells

sasquatch

HSC
fuuuuuuuuckk... man were still on conics!!!!! We have yet to do integration, volumes and mechanics.

People say integration is easy..which i hope cuz then ill be able to do it myself. How hard is volumes? Cuz i wanna go ahead and learn it myself... but i dont really see a point, cuz if my class is behind me... i dont think i can learn mechanics by myself..so hmm...

bottle01

HSC
Yes!!!:burn: already trial...

but we are still keeping on learning new stuff...
trial worths like 40% in both 3u and 4u ...
and we haven't been given time for revision...

i'm screwed out...>__<

bottle01

HSC
sasquatch said:
fuuuuuuuuckk... man were still on conics!!!!! We have yet to do integration, volumes and mechanics.

People say integration is easy..which i hope cuz then ill be able to do it myself. How hard is volumes? Cuz i wanna go ahead and learn it myself... but i dont really see a point, cuz if my class is behind me... i dont think i can learn mechanics by myself..so hmm...

i like integration...altho the trig part is a bit hard...:)

Rax

Custom Me up Scotty
HSC
Integration is great, My favourite topic so far. Some of them are tricky usually a fair bit of working, Those Recurrence formula's can be a bit tricky sometimes too. Volumes aint that bad, it is a pretty short topic. You could teach yourseff if you want too but Integration and Volumes ties together, (obviously) so focus on the integration. Oh and if you want a conics question do this one

View attachment 12949

Question 4 in my halfyearly

Me and my classmates only did b) i)
In the test I just coudnt see it, though I ran out of time before I could do b) ii)

Give me some reply's on your solutions

_ShiFTy_

HSC
I'm not totally sure about my answer but can you say that the area is a max when sin@cos@ is a max b/c the 'a' and 'b' are constants?

So (sin2@)/2 is a max when @ = π/4

So the max area would be (a<sup>2</sup> - b<sup>2</sup>)<sup>2</sup>/2ab . (sin π/2)/2

=(a<sup>2</sup> - b<sup>2</sup>)<sup>2</sup> /4ab

Rax

Custom Me up Scotty
HSC
No I got that one, I mean do the crazy conics one ie part a)

Thats the doozy....well It was in there, I can actually do it now

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)