How important is English for ATAR!!! (1 Viewer)

Living Moment

HSC
I'm currently doing really badly in Standard English I just can never eva get above 70% no matter how hard I try.
I stopped studying for English at end of term 4, because we had a speech on Wilfred Owen, I spent 3 days and nights perfecting it, and studied on 2 hours that day for Math, I got 69% for English and 93% for Math both were on the same day.
I always get high 90 in Chem, Physics and Bio just by reading my notes and doing past papers, but when it comes to English I just don't get it
My Question is say if i get 95 for all my subjects (Math, Chem, Physics, Bio) and only around 70 in English what will be my ATAR??? Any advice on how to improving English??? or Dw about English and focus on everything else???
Please Need help have English trail exam next week Tuesday =(

Last edited:

iBibah

HSC
I'm currently doing really badly in Standard English I just can never eva get above 70% no matter how hard I try.
I stopped studying for English at end of term 4, because we had a speech on Wilfred Owen, I spent 3 days and nights perfecting it, and studied on 2 hours that day for Math, I got 69% for English and 93% for Math both were on the same day.
I always get high 90 in Chem, Physics and Bio just by reading my notes and doing past papers, but when it comes to English I just don't get it
My Question is say if i get 95 for all my subjects (Math, Chem, Physics, Bio) and only around 70 in English what will be my ATAR??? Any advice on how to improving English??? or Dw about English and focus on everything else???
Please Need help have Engish trail exam next week Tuesday =(
English is going to count to your ATAR NO MATTER WHAT, not to mention Standard doesn't align very well so you have to do extra well in that. If anything, leave everything and do English, its EXTREMELY important for your ATAR.

As for marks, use an ATAR calculator to estimate and you will see how important English is.

Alkanes

HSC
Yep english is the icebreaker at the end of the day imo. I didn't care about it in yr 11, but realised how important it was at the beginning of the year 12. So at the end of the day, english will count to your ATAR regardless of how well you perform in your other subjects.

Living Moment

HSC
Yeap i understand that English i very very important, but with me i came to Australia at the age of 5 and spent all K-6 simply learning how to read and write i had reading and writing difficulty because at the age of 4 my right side of the brain, creative and language side was damaged by bomb shockwave, as i had my right side of the brain leaning on the wall on the underground bunker when I air strike when off, And Yes I'm form Afghanistan if you were wondering

But with the ATAR calculator i put in 95 for all my subjects and 70 for English and it say 95.20 and all i need 82 to get in secondary science, plus 10 extra ATAR making it 105.20, do i really need to put in my all into English??? Sorry for asking again

Last edited:

iBibah

HSC
That's ok we're not blaming you for doing standard.

That's assuming you will get 95 for all of them, and 70 in standard, which may not be as easy as it sounds. Can you do that? If yes then you are all set.

M

MichelleV

You still need to work on your English even if your confident in your other subjects. You never know what will come up in the exams or how you'll react to them- It's better to be as prepared as possible for ALL your subjects instead of just a few.

If you can afford it, maybe hire and English tutor for a few weeks to help you work more in depth on your English? I hired a tutor for the last few weeks of the semester and the weeks before my exam just so I could have somebody to work with on preparing my essays and arguments and solidify my knowledge. If you cant afford a tutor (they can be rather expensive unfortunately) , maybe ask your teacher if they will sit down with you during maybe lunch or before school to help you work on your essays and writing skills in general.

Don't let your english mark be what brings you down. You appear to have really strong skills in all your other subjects. I'm sure if you make the effort to really focus and work on improving, you'll be able to not only improve your enlgish skills, but also get the high atar you deserve :)

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad
Expecting 95 in your other subjects might be a bit high. It's rare for someone to be able to do that. Expect around 92-93 if you're good.

kfnmpah

HSC
very

my friend and i got marks all within 2-3 of each other and our ranks were always consecutive (i.e. she was 3rd, i was 4th. i was 1st, she was 2nd) except in english.
She raped me. I was 45/54 for advanced (lol) and she was like 20th or something (and she did ext 1 and 2) and my atar was like 84 hers was 95

Living Moment

HSC
Thanks guy really appreciate it :D
But yea if you guys and girls have any recommended English Tudors that are located in the western suburbs and has good rates let us know please
And if you guy want to read my creative story about my life experiences in Afghanistan very interesting the only time in my life were I got above 70% for English!!!
I’ll upload it as soon as I edit it and finish all past paper for chem, physics and bio thanks

2xL

HSC
Everyone does English, so doing well in English gives a large boost to your ATAR since its a rank.

atar90plus

01000101=YES! YES! YES!
HSC
not really if you are looking to get a <90 atar

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)