• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

How important...? (1 Viewer)

ram14

HSC
Hey people,
Just wanted your opinions on how important you think Preliminary Maths was for the HSC, I missed out Prelim as I was oversaeas doing Britsih Curriculum higher maths which is waaay different to what they teach here and now im in Year 12 and all the new stuff i learn im understanding, i was able to do the end of year prelim maths exam in my school and got about 52%...but im worried that i could do pretty bad on my HSC if i dont know a lotta the prelim stuff so how important is it?? and im hopin to get around 90% in maths....
I guess its just afew chapters but ive tried to understand like relations and fucktions from Fitzpatrick 2 Unit maths but its like dude....wat the hell is this guy on about?...
Your advice please?.

HSC
It is pretty important but what i suggest is to go through allt he past papers. You will notice that there is always coordinate geometry on there (prelim) and Q1 is basic prelim stuff

It is pretty important in the sense it buys u the easy marks which save u later when you may not be able to get q10 for example.

What things in prelim arent u familar with?

SoulSearcher

Entangled in the fabric of space-time ...
HSC
Up to 30% of the preliminary course will be tested in the general, 2 unit and extension 1 HSC exam, so you might try your best to learn as much of the preliminary stuff as you can, things like co-ordinate geomettry, differentiation and maximums and minimums will usually appear in the HSC exam, but anything out of there can be tested in it.

Riviet

HSC
N/A
It helped me pick up the new / harder topics more easily because of the solid base that I developed in preliminary maths.

ianc

physics is phun!
HSC
yeah, hsc assumes that you know everything in prelim........for example prelim introduced trig and trig equations, which is built on in the hsc.

i recommend for you to get your hands on a prelim 2unit book and work through it so that when you start school again youll be up to date and feel confident for your hsc.

sleepy syndrome

HSC
N/A
It is pretty important...Like what the others said, HSC maths is based on the Prelim maths.

HSC
SoulSearcher said:
Up to 30% of the preliminary course will be tested in the general, 2 unit and extension 1 HSC exam, so you might try your best to learn as much of the preliminary stuff as you can, things like co-ordinate geomettry, differentiation and maximums and minimums will usually appear in the HSC exam, but anything out of there can be tested in it.
100% of Year 11 can be examined in three unit maths.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)