how important?? (1 Viewer)

redslert

yes, my actual brain
HSC
im just wondering exactly how important are hsc assessments done at school towards my actual uai??

im in yr 11/12 rite now and in a week my first hsc assessments starts and i aint really that well prepared....
i wont fail just not as good as i can do
just wanna know if i do stuff things up, will i still be able to get a really good uai, when i say good i mean high 95s

thankz :p

Ozz^E

The assessments are pretty important. DO NOT TAKE THEM LIGHTLY. But keep in mind that the marks of assessments in isolation are not that imporatant. It's your position in the overall cohort at your school that matters most. Briefly, at the end of the yr, the closer you are to the top, the less inadvertent scaling ur school assessment will undergo and vice versa. The top ranking student CAN'T be scaled down.

So yea...my advice would be to 'get down and work hard'.

Weisy

the evenstar
HSC
your school assessments are altogether '50 percent' of your final HSC mark.

the HSC marks for your ten best units are more or less used to calculate your UAI

so that would make school assessments important.

BlackJack

Vertigo!
HSC
DO them... ;) And do them WELL... :D remember that if you can't get the top rank you could also help other people in your school to boost the scaling come the external exams.

Rosie

I know of some people that have either dropped out or have to repeat next year purely because they didn't do the assessments tasks well and put the effort in! The assessments are important other wise why would they have them? Obviously the assessments will help you when it comes to the hsc exams coz most schools base assessments on questions that u can learn something from. So my advice? don't end up failing coz u fell into the trap of not bothering with assessments. :)

Mr Wiggle

The Best
HSC
N/A
assessment counts for 50% of your UAI and your HSC mark so if you don't do well than u have no hope of getting a good UAI i think they do this is to give people who do don't well in the exam to make it up in the class assessment during the year.

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
The basic rundown on assessments:

Try and get the absolute best mark u can in every assessment, cos ultimately, u want to get the best rank possible (which is of utmost importance)
Your rank determines your moderated assessment marks, based on the performance of your cohort in the HSC exams

!meeee!

melbourne during uni- sydney during holidays
i completely agree assessments are important but don't stress about what marks you get, rather focus on ranks, especially if ur hoping for a high uai
remember your school might mark comparatively harder and send in quite low assessment marks overall but as long as your ranks are high, you'll be ok
you can afford to have the odd bad assessment so don't panic if you do
take advantage of the time you have to do them, don't do them at the last minute, put in a bit of effort and you should be fine :)

tammer

Remembering P.I.G.
HSC
by doing well in your assessments it takes the pressure off you to make up for it in the exams, so make sure you knuckle down on assessments as well as the final exams. tammer's mistake #1

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
as ive said in some other post ... hsc assessments are MORE important then hsc examination result ... why because not everyone would have worked to their optimum during the year so you can get ahead of your exam ranking and more or less guarentee a high assessment mark ... happens every year ... the bastard who does alot of work get the good internal marks ... why more important than examination because you cant guarentee an excellant exam mark because you may fall ill, get annoyed at your cat, eat the wrong breakfast (this does happen mind you) ... this is how you rort the system ... of course you can just bludge at school and wonder what happens ...

Overshoot

But remember, if you screw one assessment up, don't get all depressed, it is unlikely to affect your ranking too much (unless it's your trial or something). Just don't make a habit of it. ;)

One of my friends brothers got 5/15 and 6/15 for his first 2 related english assessments a few years ago because his teacher didn't like the way he wrote.

He got 99.75. :)

Last edited:

luigi

***LouLou***
HSC
yea assessments are a good time to get ur marks up, specially at the beginning, when ppl are putting less effort in

Ultimate

Unknown
HSC
Yes assessments are important but, but even if you don't get a high ranking as long as your marks are relatively close to the top you will still do well, particularly if you kill the HSC examination.

So to all those current year 12 students, don't put too much pressure on yourselves. Your HSC performance and that of your cohort scales your assessment mark, and if your assessment marks are relatively close you will receive relatively close moderated assessment marks.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)