how indicative are 1st yr law units (114,115) of the rest of the law degree? (1 Viewer)

fugi

HSC
Hi there,

I'm a 1st year law student, so atm ive done 114, and currently doing 115, and I found 114 to be pretty hard/boring (haha not to mention the massive amounts of readings)..and atm 115 is just plain boring (lols I'll probably add in hard once that 80% assignment rolls around). Anywais all this has led me to think that if law's gna be like this for the next 4 years, I might as well drop it and cut my losses now and just do straight accounting or finance instead

Having said all that, im wondering for any of those people who have done/currently doing law at mac, how indicative are the 1styr law subjects (law114, 115) of the law units later on (ie. for the units in 2nd-5yrs)?

Are units such as contracts or constitutional law and administration law gna be like this?? Any insight into the later law units would be awesome.

atreus

HSC
im in second year, and it is different to first year. the focus is more on legal problem solving. the readings don't get shorter, but what you read is usually easier to follow and more interesting.
conracts and torts are more interesting because the focus is on solving legal problems. crim gets a bit like jurisprudence sometimes, but the assessments are about half legal problem solving, half history/development/purpose of criminal law.

rubin

HSC
Juris is obviously a very unique subject on its own. You will find elements of legal theory in most law subjects. Some subjects have a solid focus on theory and require you to write essays while others are more practical based. Certainly though i think you will find that in later years there is a greater emphasis on problem solving eg. contracts and property law.

If youre struggling with the required reading - it gets worse. MUCH WORSE.

misericordia

Confused Member
HSC
Uni Grad
fugi said:
Hi there,

I'm a 1st year law student, so atm ive done 114, and currently doing 115, and I found 114 to be pretty hard/boring (haha not to mention the massive amounts of readings)..and atm 115 is just plain boring (lols I'll probably add in hard once that 80% assignment rolls around). Anywais all this has led me to think that if law's gna be like this for the next 4 years, I might as well drop it and cut my losses now and just do straight accounting or finance instead

Having said all that, im wondering for any of those people who have done/currently doing law at mac, how indicative are the 1styr law subjects (law114, 115) of the law units later on (ie. for the units in 2nd-5yrs)?

Are units such as contracts or constitutional law and administration law gna be like this?? Any insight into the later law units would be awesome.
Hey, I'm feeling as same as you for 1st year law units. Maybe it's just me but I find readings to be ok - I rather find assessment questions quite difficult to understand:cold: But I know that I better not drop law because it's a good backup degree....Hopefully the assessment questions for law115 won't be as tough as jurispridence (yikes) :(

coonbaboon

HSC
fugi said:
Hi there,

In my opinion law subjects in first year are an introduction to law in a more general sense. You are dealing with juris = the philosphy of law and law in society (or whatever they call it these days). From second year onwards we have the more "blackletter" law subjects which are essentially what most people studying a law degree want to be doing. They require a different mode of thinking but once you get your head around that it certainly becomes easier than 1st year law.

The required reading doesn't decrease, but as you move through your degree, you become more selective with what you read and are in a better position to use your time wisely.

So in anser to your question, I belive that 2nd year onwards is easier with respect to LAW units (I am currently going into 4th year at Mac).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)