• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

how is a degree spread (2 Viewers)

hatty

Banned
hey

i was wondering. if i was to do a single degree. how many days do i show up 2 university.

is it like school where u attend 5 days a weeks, or is it less (or more) then that.
or does it really depend on what degree ur doing.
if thats the case, then what is the average number of days would you attend uni for a normal degree, just a basic idea really.

thanks

great_gregory

I'm really just OK...
HSC
Depends on the course. If you do a normal load, you might be able to get all your classes in 3 days. If not, probably 4. I've had 4 day weekends both semesters so far! :D

RCMasterAA

I vant to suck your blood
HSC
Well first of all there's no normal degree and if you do a degree such as arts or commerce then yeah, you'll only have 4 days or less. The more demanding ones such as science, engineering will require you to have 5 days a week.

editted

Last edited:

Generator

HSC
N/A
RCMasterAA said:
Well first of all there's no normal degree and if you do a degree such as arts or science then yeah, you'll only have 4 days or less. The more demanding ones such as commerce, engineering will require you to have 5 days a week.
What makes those degrees more demanding than Science or Arts, RCMasterAA?

jlh

sooner or later...
HSC
the number of days will depend on what days the uni schedules the lectures for your units...
with my experience, if you do units from the same faculty, they normally schedule the lectures around the same days giving you a day off, maybe even two... then all you do is schedule your tutorials within those days you are at uni...

what degree are you considering hatty?

Last edited:

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
Roughly, and I say on average, if you do an Arts or Commerce degree, you'll be doing 10-14 hours a week (how many days depends on how you make your timetable), Science up to 22 hours and Engineering is even more

craz

HSC
Roughly at uni i spend 11 hours a week....and I spread mine over about 3 and a half days...but some can squeeze it into 3 days. It really depends esp at my uni which tute u can get into for Arts....but yea I feel like I'm barely at uni but i have heaps of work to do.

RCMasterAA

HSC
Generator said:
What makes those degrees more demanding than Science or Arts, RCMasterAA?
The number of hours that come with the 3unit/6unit subjects you do.
Here's what my semester one timetable looked like.

Generator

HSC
N/A
RCMasterAA said:
The number of hours that come with the 3unit/6unit subjects you do.
Here's what my semester one timetable looked like.

That's a pathetic reason. Besides, commerce at USyd is, by and large, as 'demanding' as an Arts degree if we are to use your amazing sense of logic.

Last edited:

RCMasterAA

HSC
Well hey, i don't do Commerce and according to Minai, it's about 14 hours anyway so meh, what you gonna do about it?
And how is it a pathetic reason? The faculties decide how many hours a subject should have and it's practically general knowledge that mechanical engineering subjects and science subjects will have lots of hours.

And sorry if I seem to be offending you with my logic, seeing as how you seem to be intent on attacking me just because you may not agree.

Generator

HSC
N/A
It was the word demanding... You cannot make such a call merely on the number of hours spent in class.

Generator

HSC
N/A
Your assumption does not even consider the number of required readings (not just recommended) that a course may possess. That's why I am making the point.

RCMasterAA

HSC
Then let's just say that all courses are equal in difficulty and demand because everyone's different and may find different things harder.
E.g. some may love doing required reading while some may love learning everything in a lecture/tutorial.
All good?

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
it depends on the uni and the subjects you are taking, and the program and all that..

like, one of my mates is doing like BBus or something at newcastle, and has managed to squish his week into 3 days (it was 2 last sem!!), whereas im BSc and im there 5 days (4 last sem)

it just depends on the subjects and the availability and if they have repeat lecs and all that sorta stuff

santaslayer

HSC
Depends on:

-Number of people in the course (repeat lectures)
-Nature of the course (Practicals, workshops, self directed learning?)
-Course
-Timetabling system

People doing Science will almost always have more contact hours then a Commerce or Arts students because most of their time is required at home studying instead.

On a side note, I know someone doing a B Commerce/B laws student who managed to fit everything on two days. (16-17 HOURS) :p

Lundy

Banned
HSC
I'm doing arts and I spend more time doing all the required readings than I do in lectures. And along with the required reading is the "recommended" reading. So yeah, number of hours isn't all that indicative of the workload.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)