• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

how is a degree spread (3 Viewers)

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
mine are 5 days.. with 26 contact hrs.. and about 1-4 hrs a night research..

hatty

Banned
thanks all

well im planning on doing a business degree and i want to know how much work (like a job) i can fit in the week.

so its the way you pick ur timetable? i thought the uni just throws you one (like school) and u stick with it.

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
i think some unis might make your timetable for you, but i think most just tell you when the possible timeslots for each class are and you just have to try and slot them in.

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
nope.. but generalli there are restrictions.. so lik u try and schedules so that u can catch lunch or same as ure mates :)

babydoll_

wat
HSC
N/A
Engineering and Science tend to have longer hours due to practical work. So the number of days per week depends on your degree.

Like Minai said, business and commerce degrees are about 10-14 hrs/week. They tend to focus on lectures and tutorials, but to do well you gotta do a lot of reading and practise.

hatty

Banned
natstar said:
nope
in nearly all cases u get freedom so u can make a time table that works best for u. What uni are u looking at going too
im looking at UWS, yeah, im thinking whether or not i should do part time or full time seeing it takes pretty much the same amount of time to complete, i just want to compress as much as i can into as few days and leave the rest for work.

hatty

Banned
really? i read in the UAC guide for UWS, and i found that most of the Business courses take 3 years full time to complete, and it has EqP partime which i tihnk means it takes the equivalent ammount of time partime to complete

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
hatty said:
really? i read in the UAC guide for UWS, and i found that most of the Business courses take 3 years full time to complete, and it has EqP partime which i tihnk means it takes the equivalent ammount of time partime to complete
equivalent parttime meaning its still the same amount of units and all that, just stretched out over (typically) double the years.

babydoll_

wat
HSC
N/A
hatty said:
Talk to Malazn Pleasure, he does B Business part-time at UWS and works as an auditor.

Cape

Forza Ferrari!
HSC
I got to uni for only 4 days a week ... it seems long but my leactures are only for 3 or 4 hours and thats all i go for. My timetable looks like:

Monday: 9am - 1pm
Tuesday: 9am - 12pm
Wednesday: 9am - 12pm
Thursday: 9am - 12pm

There is an arts course which is more or less the same as mine ... but they seem to do so much more work.

The only thing which is a pain is travelling time ... sometimes it can take 3 hrs to get home in the afternoon ... but its a good chance to do some readings on the train home.

santaslayer

HSC
hatty said:
thanks all

well im planning on doing a business degree and i want to know how much work (like a job) i can fit in the week.

so its the way you pick ur timetable? i thought the uni just throws you one (like school) and u stick with it.
Some universities are different but for me I usually get a million choices for my timeslots. The biggest problem with students that do subjects with little people in them is that they don''t get to choose. :uhhuh:

hatty

Banned
oh ok

i thought the degree you did determined which subjects you do and hence ur locked in it for the duration of ur course, unless u change degrees.
i hve so much 2 learn

thanks alot dudes

Cape

Forza Ferrari!
HSC
Generally first year is core subjects then later u can choose whatever subjects as long as u have the pre-requisites.

Its hard to understand until u start uni ... then things become easier to understand.

Cape

Forza Ferrari!
HSC
I am wanting to do some geology subjects in my course, but i dunno yet ... i don't know of many tourism subjects that i can do, which weren't core subjects. Guess we will see next yr.

cayte

It really does depend on your degree. It ranges from generic (eg BA/BSc) where you have ultimate freedom, to uber specific, like, say, BEng: Aeronautical Space, where you are required to sign your time, freedom and soul over to the evil troll gods of the central timetabling unit for half a decade. Excited?

Cape

Forza Ferrari!
HSC
I didn't get to choose anything this semester ... but theres only just over 100 in tourism and aboriginal classes and 50 in nature classes, so there is no need to create more than one class.

hatty

Banned
hey

well im actually a guy and im tihnking of doing either human resources and industrial relations or the business and commerce one.
if i cant get into those, ill prolly look at financial mathematics.

cheers

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 3)