how is everyone enjoying ext english? (1 Viewer)

klaris

HSC
i am loving it. my favourite class, bar modern.

we haven't really done much as of yet. we're studying modernism.

i am getting graded to read 1950s Truman Capote and 20s Woolf? i love this.

i had extension this morning and all we did was talk about the short stories and analyse it to bits, which i love doing.

in short, english extension is the best subject i have ever done and i am happy that i picked it.

what about you?

AmieLea

HSC
great. our teachers really good though. we're doing crime ficton right now, though last year it was the devolpment of the 'vampire' so that was a lot more interesting

agirlinatutu

Im just not ready...
HSC
Yeah we are doing Romanticism so it is a bit heavy with all the theory at the moment but it isn't too bad.

Luxxey

candied queen
HSC
Really getting into crime fiction now, I never used to read it before.

Loving the analysis, though the writing is a bitch.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
I'm doing Textual Dynamics, and it's great! The books you read... they just are brilliant. A great follow up to Mrs. Dalloway and it's stream of consciousness, now we're doing If on a winter's night a traveller, a 2nd person novel as well as being many other things, and I've just finished reading the French Lieutenant's Woman - at first I was a bit tentative, but it's a great book.

Can Orlando the movie live up to expectation?

But still, I'm loving it! Awesome stuff. Really mind blowing, it's up there as a favourite for sure.

caitlinjinks

HSC
we are doing crime fiction, i like crime fiction but writing character profiles gets frustrating, having to write on the spot is just scary because of writersblock ;@does everyone have to do the same things for extension throughout NSW?

HSC
Does anybody else do Genre: life writing? Life writing is hard. Interesting, but challenging, as an extension subject ought to be.

thehummingbird

HSC
I'm glad most of you guys are enjoying extension. I'm year eleven and I'm about six weeks into the course and I'm dreading it. At first I loved it cause like somebody mentioned, we analysed short stories and it was really cool to just talk about our opinions amongst the seven students. But now that I'm doing a presentation on Wednesday, I'm freaking out. I don't know if everybody did it? But it's the one where you have to research and read about a literary period - I'm doing Romantic - and then present it to the class for the entire period. Seventy-five minutes of hell for me. I hate speeches, speaking, presenting and whatever else. Honestly, I'm hating it. Maybe after I present this assignment I'll feel better about it but right now I want to scream at my teacher and go hide under a rock somewhere far away...

le Mali

HSC
Same as Lady Marella and Klaris, It's my favourite subject bar Modern...although History Ext may have creeped up into second.

I have the same teacher for all three - as an aural learner I really have to like my teacher to like the subject.

I did Gothic fiction in Prelim, which was really neat. I liked it because it allowed you to explore the genre and the vampiric urban legend on a sophisticated level above that of Twilight and all that rot.
Ext allows you to explore the reasons behind genre in society which makes it really interesting. It's really all about change and progression/regression.

My school does crime in the HSC, so far it has been really good. It's really all about solving problems and perceptions of justice/morality. So it goes a step further to explore the human psyche.

It's a lot of work, but a lot of fun as well.

dan2452

HSC
^^^^^ sounds exactly the same as my school. Doing gothic fiction for prelim, which is awesome so far!!

le Mali

HSC
I'm glad most of you guys are enjoying extension. I'm year eleven and I'm about six weeks into the course and I'm dreading it. At first I loved it cause like somebody mentioned, we analysed short stories and it was really cool to just talk about our opinions amongst the seven students. But now that I'm doing a presentation on Wednesday, I'm freaking out. I don't know if everybody did it? But it's the one where you have to research and read about a literary period - I'm doing Romantic - and then present it to the class for the entire period. Seventy-five minutes of hell for me. I hate speeches, speaking, presenting and whatever else. Honestly, I'm hating it. Maybe after I present this assignment I'll feel better about it but right now I want to scream at my teacher and go hide under a rock somewhere far away...
Speeches are for most people their worst assesment. But with subjects like EE, you've really got to be able to put yourself out there, wether verbally or on the page in your essay or creative.
The workload for EE is pretty big, when you consider units etc it's best to think of it as a 2U course.

If your not feeling up to it, go get help. Even if you hate your teach, go find another english teacher or someone who can help. EE is challenging and you have to keep on top of it, it's not easy marks.

le Mali

HSC
^^^^^ sounds exactly the same as my school. Doing gothic fiction for prelim, which is awesome so far!!

Doing Dracula??
Yeah it was pretty good. I love how EE enables you to adapt it to your own preferences. We had some girls doing novels like Jane Eyre as one of their RTs and I did The Tale of Despereaux as one of mine.

le Mali

HSC
we are doing crime fiction, i like crime fiction but writing character profiles gets frustrating, having to write on the spot is just scary because of writersblock ;@does everyone have to do the same things for extension throughout NSW?

Your teacher chooses what topic you do. Theres a list to go off, like after the bomb and romanticism and stuff.
I think crime is the most popular though.

Our EE teachers have developed a good method of preparing us for the creative section, we just did an assesment where we had to develop a persona profile and then write a creative piece using them. We have to keep writing with this persona so that they become in essence an extension of ourselves and we can put them in any situation. It also helps you get familiar with your own writing style and so you know what sub-genre type you are most comfortable in and is the easiest to write for you.

NewiJapper

HSC
We are doing After The Bomb. It is simply amazing and so much better than normal adv english :p. I think the reason I'm doing so well in it is that I love it so much :D

le Mali

HSC
There is a mountain of work in EE!!!
You have an hour each for the essay and the creative so you are expected to write and epic amount.

Our teacher was going to do After the Bomb, but it requires knowledge of a lot of Modern History which makes it hard for those who don't do Modern.
I'm loving crime though.
I find it much easier to write for than gothic fiction, but it has more complexity for the essay.

gesh17

HSC
N/A
Doing Crime Fiction; wish I had done postmodernism or something like that but oh well. I find it pretty straightforward though.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)