how is it posible to write neutral speeches and essays??? (1 Viewer)

syrena

That question is really annoying me. I have to do a speech for SOR. We're doing Christianity and it's on the characteristics of God. I don't understand how I'm going to say the speech without saying 'Christians believe that...' or 'God is...', whichever one I choose, I'm clearly stating what I believe, aren't I? (this is something that I don't want to do) And also both would get very repetitive, although I quess that that cannot be helped.

Does anyone have any ideas on how I can make my speech more neutral? :confused:

Jinglebell

HSC
how would saying 'christians believe that...' be stating what you believe? i'm christian, but i could say 'jews believe that...' without saying that i'm jewish...

i guess just play around with different ways of phrasing it, like 'for christians...' or 'in christianity...' or, well, i can't be bothered to think of any more right now, but i'm sure you get the idea:)

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
'christians believe that' doesnt say wat u believe, its sawing wat christians believe, if u were another religion u'd say exactly the same thing. just don't use 'I'

kylie

i believe the "in christianity" one will work.. if you having trouble, talk about what the differant VARIENTS believe.. then you will distance the audience from what you mite or mite not believe by showing more then one view point

for example some churches take everything writen in the bible literally whereas the catholics view the bible more as stories or parables relievent to the people of the time to explain things such as creation

Nomes

on a side note, if you're gong to talk about "varients" as kylie said, spell it correctly - VARIANTS.

And agree with the others - when saying "Christians believe that..." you aren't expressing your beliefs or proselytising, you're going about it the right way. Once you have introduced that you are talking about "what Christians believe is...", you are then free to speak about what they believe without constantly saying "In Christianity" etc.

Hope you understand what I was saying, realise now it was a bit jumbled.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)