• Best of luck to the class of 2024 for their HSC exams. You got this!
    Let us know your thoughts on the HSC exams here
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

How is Macbeth Brought to corruption? (1 Viewer)

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
I don't really remember Macbeth much cause I did it a year and a half ago.

You can say that his ambition caused him to corrupt the state.

You can also say that the supernatural, external forces caused him to commit wrongful actions or doubt his actions, allowing him become corrupt with power.

Sorry, that's all I have. Hope this helps.

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
Perhaps you could also argue that Lady Macbeth helped to bring about, or accelerate Macbeth's corrupt and amoral actions in an attempt to help her husbands to ascend to the throne

iJimmy

not dead
HSC
N/A
so do you think he is corrupted by ambition, temptation or by other forces?

Audranda

HSC
Macbeth was driven towards corruption by two primary catalysts:
- Lady Macbeth
- The Witches

Whilst the Witches instilled the prophecy within his life, his wife's overbearing, domineering ambition played a definite role in converting Macbeth to a valiant, loyal soldier, to a malevolent tyrant. The example can be easily elucidated through his wife's pressure (and lack of qualms) to murder the King, in order to ascend to the throne. As his wife, she also plays with his concerns of masculinity, offering him to kill Duncan in order to be considered 'a real man'.

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
I think it is a combination of factors-both internal subconscious desires evoked by Lady Macbeth's persistence as well as external factors that provided all the essential features for him to capitalise on this opportunistically-with others help-i.e. a little encouragement... to argue he is corrupted by a single external factor is to ignore the complexities inherent in any Shakespearean text-it actually doesn't matter what my view is, what is your view? as long as you have a unique view and can support it with strong textual evidence, whether our views agree or not will matter very little....

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)