How is my ATAR so low? (1 Viewer)

Eagleye

HSC
I have received an ATAR in the 60's after doing: Engineering Studies, English (Standard), Mathematics, Mathematics Extension 1, Physics, Software Design and Development. All subjects (except for English) were around the 80 mark, while english was 67.

I would have thought my ATAR would be at least 70, but was very disappointed when I saw my final rank. Could someone please explain where I missed all my ATAR points?

Thanks

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
As in 67 HSC mark and 80 HSC mark? Or internal marks?

EarthSci34

Good grief.
HSC
Software Design and Development (as I'm aware of) does not scale very well...
A 67 in Standard English also lowered your ATAR. Physics also does not scale well if it's in the lower band 5s.

That said, I would've at least expected a 70 from you as well :/ Don't worry champ, there's life after HSC.

Eagleye

HSC
dam, well thanks anyway. Alot of hard work for a crappy ATAR...

Queenroot

I complete the Squar3
HSC
N/A
Standard English is a notorious ATAR killer, people don't understand how much of a difference it is when they decide to drop from adv to std.

band6man

HSC
I only got a 97 atar because of getting an 81 in english, such a disgrace that geniuses like me are forced to do this retarded subject.

Eagleye

HSC
Standard English is a notorious ATAR killer, people don't understand how much of a difference it is when they decide to drop from adv to std.
I suppose the thing that makes me very frustrated is that I want to get into a software course in uni, but now with this ATAR that may be difficult because i'm very bad at english. I sure as hell know my software despite my ATAR result. But someone else that did english adv and not as good on software would get a better ATAR and would get into uni easier then I would...

Queenroot

I complete the Squar3
HSC
N/A
pun intended

I suppose the thing that makes me very frustrated is that I want to get into a software course in uni, but now with this ATAR that may be difficult because i'm very bad at english. I sure as hell know my software despite my ATAR result. But someone else that did english adv and not as good on software would get a better ATAR and would get into uni easier then I would...
So where are you planning to go?

Eagleye

HSC
I was thinking of doing Computer Science at uni of Newcastle. Thanks to the bonus points i might just get in

mariannebags

HSC
N/A
So, remember English is compulsory because they really want you to be good at English. The university don't have the facilities or the desire to work with anyone who can't cope with uni level written and verbal tasks.
Yes, that was the reason you didn't do as well as expected. Also, the others are right that the closer you get to the average the less even difficult subjects help your ATAR.

Eagleye

HSC
Wow that sucks so much. If I knew that English adv was so important I would have pushed myself to do it. So basically anyone who doesn't do English adv or higher is screwed.

HSC
Wow that sucks so much. If I knew that English adv was so important I would have pushed myself to do it. So basically anyone who doesn't do English adv or higher is screwed.
Not necessarily lol. Regardless of what subject you do, in order for scaling to be on your side or for scaling to be great, you yourself need to get high marks.

I did standard english (got 89) and ended up with a 98.20 ATAR.

So no, doing standard doesnt screw you up, provided you do well.

Eagleye

HSC
Well I guess only i'm screwed since i'm not good at english.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)