How is your internal rank calculated??? (1 Viewer)

stereoheart

HSC
So say these are your ranks in the order you recieve them after each task in the year out of a class of about 50:

What rank can this person "finish" on?

So confused! :/

nightweaver066

HSC
How is that final course marks obtained?
Every assessment you take has a weighting - whether it be 5%, 20% or even 40%.

Your marks in these assessments are used to calculate your course mark.

Your ranks are determined by arranging the course marks of each student in a subject from highest to lowest (first to last).

stereoheart

HSC
so say I get 62% is something that is weighted 25% in a subject but then for every other task(which will mostly weigh 20/25 % I manage to get a 90%+ ....would that boost up my internal mark or is it already hugely affected by this 62 mark?

nightweaver066

HSC
so say I get 62% is something that is weighted 25% in a subject but then for every other task(which will mostly weigh 20/25 % I manage to get a 90%+ ....would that boost up my internal mark or is it already hugely affected by this 62 mark?
Boost.

stereoheart

HSC
Ok so right now, if I add all the weightings left of 500% , I have 355% left and Ive hugely messed up on a 25% and a 15%.....
Thats not too bad as long as I do well from here on, right?

nightweaver066

HSC
Ok so right now, if I add all the weightings left of 500% , I have 355% left and Ive hugely messed up on a 25% and a 15%.....
500%? lol what.

D94

HSC
N/A
No, this is a completely wrong calculation. When they say "your assessments are worth 50% of your HSC mark", they mean your moderated assessment mark. What you are calculating is your raw mark, which is used to determine your moderated assessment mark, based on your HSC performance.

stereoheart

HSC
Ok well right now I have messed up big time on 2 "raw marks" ...one weighted 25% i got 62% at and the other worth 15%.

Will that have a massive impact? It already dropped my ranking alot but because its a one off kind of thing, can I impove it and still get a band 6 in each of those subjectts?
In the task that I got 62% in, have I missed out on a band 6 already?

stereoheart

HSC
No, this is a completely wrong calculation. When they say "your assessments are worth 50% of your HSC mark", they mean your moderated assessment mark. What you are calculating is your raw mark, which is used to determine your moderated assessment mark, based on your HSC performance.
And where does my moderated mark come from? Doesnt it come from my raw assessment marks?

D94

HSC
N/A
Ok well right now I have messed up big time on 2 "raw marks" ...one weighted 25% i got 62% at and the other worth 15%.

Will that have a massive impact? It already dropped my ranking alot but because its a one off kind of thing, can I impove it and still get a band 6 in each of those subjectts?
In the task that I got 62% in, have I missed out on a band 6 already?
It's hard to say if this is an issue or not. Sure it's very possible for you to achieve a Band 6. You, and your cohort require a strong HSC exam performance in order to raise your cohort's assessment marks.

And where does my moderated mark come from? Doesnt it come from my raw assessment marks?
Yes, it comes from your raw marks, but also your exam marks. I explained it in the other thread:

...your moderated assessment mark is determined by your raw marks and the cohort's overall exam performance. Now, what the BOS does is pin first and pin last, so ALL your moderated assessment marks range from the highest exam mark to the lowest exam mark, excluding any obvious outliers.

Then, the BOS calculates the mean/average of the raw marks and the mean of the exam marks, and aligns them. Then, by a process of standard deviation, BOS determines how much your raw marks deviate from the mean, and applies that same factor to the moderated assessment marks.

Essentially, the moderated assessment marks reflect the raw marks, however, they have been aligned according to the exam performance.

stereoheart

HSC
aaahh i get it, finally!

But I have another q, so basically my rank internally will be the one used by bos and then my cohort external exam performance, right?
So then say in a class of about 60 people where raw assessments are out of 20 marks, 20 of those students always get marks ranging from 18-19-20 therefore only a mark or so separates them..when their assessment ranks go to BOS, the person who comes 20th will really only have been apart fromt he first person by a couple of marks. Is that taken into account when marks are aligned? Or would they still receive the 20th "mark"?

D94

HSC
N/A
aaahh i get it, finally!

But I have another q, so basically my rank internally will be the one used by bos and then my cohort external exam performance, right?
So then say in a class of about 60 people where raw assessments are out of 20 marks, 20 of those students always get marks ranging from 18-19-20 therefore only a mark or so separates them..when their assessment ranks go to BOS, the person who comes 20th will really only have been apart fromt he first person by a couple of marks. Is that taken into account when marks are aligned? Or would they still receive the 20th "mark"?
Not your rank, your raw assessment marks. BOS doesn't say "because you're 20th, you should get x amounts of marks". Yes, that gap is very important as those students will deviate about the same from the average mark, hence their moderated assessment marks will probably be the same.

stereoheart

HSC
Not your rank, your raw assessment marks. BOS doesn't say "because you're 20th, you should get x amounts of marks". Yes, that gap is very important as those students will deviate about the same from the average mark, hence their moderated assessment marks will probably be the same.
Ok thankyou :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)