how long does it take to make a database? (1 Viewer)

wasd

HSC
hi guys, how long approx does it take to make relational database in Microsoft Access. i have to do:
-make a schema
-create queries and reports
-create data entry forms

is two days enough?

swagmeister

HSC
Lol no, not unless you have made a few before. Database work is tedious and normalisation takes quite a while.

obliviousninja

(╯°□°)╯━︵ ┻━┻ - - - -
HSC
Uni Grad
Schema will probs take a while. Rest is pretty straight forward

CanU_Not

HSC
Totally agree with sweigmaster. Database making is super tedious and long. You probably wouldn't think it is (cos I didn't lol) since it's just punching in some random details, but entry takes a while. Especially since you've got different stuff linked together and yuh.

Having said that, data-entry usually takes the longest (I'm assuming you're creating a make-believe database for IPT) as you need to consider the various fields an actual organisation will take.

Creating queries/reports are not that bad if you're OK with the standard types. If you're inserting banners/ customised headings etc, formatting also takes a while. If you're using Access, it's better if you can export it to a third-party software to manually code it (if you're good with that sort of thing) because then you can do tons of things with it.

Access does the schema for you automatically, as long as you're entering relationships correctly. (Pretty sure it's just toggling another view).

OH and if you're using Access but haven't used it before, it takes a while to get used to it. (for me, at least).

enoilgam

HSC
It really depends on how large the database is, but I dont think two days is nearly enough even with Access. You need to really plan it out well, because it's the type of thing where if you dont think ahead, you're going to have to redo quite a few things, which can be super time consuming. I should note that I'm not IT trained nor have I done IPT (I did do a unit in uni though), but I have built a HRIS (i.e. HR database) for a mid-size government department (800ish staff with around 70+ fields of data). To give you an idea, it's taken me about 40 man hours to build and I'm still modifying it at the moment.

The most difficult thing is probably importing all the data into the program, because you need to ensure data quality and consistency. Also, building forms is quite tedious, especially if you want to make changes afterwards. To be honest though, this is hard to avoid, because some things you just dont really realise until you are actually using the database.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)