• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

how many additional texts for AOS??? (1 Viewer)

bladenia

HSC
N/A
i only got one but i see ppl with two???
do we need two for area of study?????

tennille

HSC
You dont have to have 2 of your own, but it is recommended. You wouldn't get penalised, though, if you dont.

J

jhakka

I have two of my own just in case. I'll use the one that best relates to the question, and if I have time I'll use the other one.

CrashOveride

HSC
they usually say AT LEAST One of your own choosing. so techincally...u wudnt be penalised for doing only one i would think?

anti

aww.. baby raccoon ^^
HSC
Yeah, if they say at least one they mean one AND MORE
If they say only 'one' then they mean one, not two or three or zero.

If you do more texts than they ask you to (from the stimulus booklet or related texts) you won't exactly be penalised but they just won't mark the second text - wasting your time.

tennille

HSC
They do say at least one. However, if you do only one, they wont penalise you. They say at least one, so clearly a minimum of one. I prefer to do only one and go into a greater depth than two and only talk about them generally.

Our trial exam stated at least one, and I only did one and I managed to get 14/15. So I doubt they'd penalise you for only doing one. Remember, you only have 40 minutes- if you do 4 texts overall, that's less than 10 minutes for each text (because of the introduction and conclusion).

J

jhakka

Considering the 40 minute thing, it doesn't seem right that they'd want four text for Area of Study and a maximum three for all the others (since all sections are supposed to take 40 minutes).

tennille

HSC
If they wanted more than one, then they would have specifically said at least TWO.

J

jhakka

Well they probably mean "We really want one, but two or more would be great".

CrashOveride

HSC
They mean "here is a chance to waste some time, dont worry about creative writing is bs anyway " =p

I've got the students answeres from last year published by BOS and would i be correct in saying that for..AOS, its not worth reading any opf the section1 or 3 stuff coz it is all about change? i mean u can get ideas about style and marking but i dont want to start remembering stuff about change in the exam on monday hehe...also some of the stories there was a guy who wrrote like 9 and a bit pages, and some guy who only wrote like 2 and a half, and they both scored high range hah :)

J

jhakka

Change and inner journeys are practically the same thing, though.

CrashOveride

HSC
Hmm you think so? i know change can be considered as an element of inner journeys..

anti

aww.. baby raccoon ^^
HSC
Tennille said:
They do say at least one. However, if you do only one, they wont penalise you. They say at least one, so clearly a minimum of one. I prefer to do only one and go into a greater depth than two and only talk about them generally.

Our trial exam stated at least one, and I only did one and I managed to get 14/15. So I doubt they'd penalise you for only doing one. Remember, you only have 40 minutes- if you do 4 texts overall, that's less than 10 minutes for each text (because of the introduction and conclusion).
My feeling is that analysis of one text does not fufil the syllabus requirement of various contexts and composers, although that's just my interpretation of a verbose document :p

tennille

HSC
They wouldnt penalise you, though. I don't think they do as I've been told by one of my teachers. They have to take into account the time limit and like I said earlier, if they wanted more than one (which they clearly prefer but is not compulsory), then they would have said at least 2. I know where you're coming from and I wouldn't mind to do 2 other texts, but the time limit is just crap and therfore I wouldn't be able to explain the process of journey properly. If it was 60 minutes, that's different.

tennille

HSC
I'm so scared for AOS. Why couldn't they make the exams 3 ours each, then you'd be able to talk about 4 texts overall without any problems.

lukebennett

Happy Member
HSC
bladenia said:
i only got one but i see ppl with two???
do we need two for area of study?????
youd be better off with two. they say "at least one" but they really would prefer two. it is safer doing two as youd need a very good one text otherwise. go wit two

:: dreami ::

Diamond BOS'er
HSC
just do two

our trial was "related texts" and around a quarter of us left out one and were penalised big time -- A range dropped to a C range :S

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)