• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

how many additional texts for AOS??? (1 Viewer)

CrashOveride

HSC
im using one. but i just got a suggestion that if somehow u find u really need another one, then just use one they provide in the reading? :D

za

HSC
in the examiners report they said that the best answers were those that contained more than one text of ure own choosing.
so im uisng 2 others

artfaggette

dongs
HSC
Gosh, I'm using five texts (including set and stimulus) and i feel as if I cover each one of them in depth... eek.

Seraph

Now You've done it.......
HSC
N/A
za said:
in the examiners report they said that the best answers were those that contained more than one text of ure own choosing.
so im uisng 2 others
if thats truly the case i will use 2

however, time is always a factor... i would say use 1 if time isn't on your side

tennille

HSC
Ive looked at the making guidelines for last years HSC. They said many people used a variety of texts and sacrificed a detailed knowledge. They also mentioned that hte requirements were only "at least one additional text" to see how candidates could give a detailed analysis of their texts. I'm sticking with only one.

espo14

Banned
haha god damn. finding out you need another supp. only 4 days before the hsc. I'd hate to be in your shoes buddy

tennille

HSC
I rang up the advice line and she was sooooo nice. You won't get penalised for only mentioning one additional source for AOS. They prefer people to go into detail.

townie

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
u should know 2 so u can cover all contingencies

...unless they ask for THREE *laughs evily*

tennille

HSC
Yeah, I know two, just in case the question's weird :( . Then I'll choose one to write about.

pirate

Tennille said:
You dont have to have 2 of your own, but it is recommended. You wouldn't get penalised, though, if you dont.
in our trial exams we got punished, it just depends on whether or not they ask for it. i got a 12/15 which was the highest with only one text. so it just comes back to the question

tennille

HSC
Technically that's not fair because it does say a minimum of ONE and if you have one, then you're fine (as long as theres enough info). But like you said, it depends on the question. I'm hoping they wont say "a variety of other texts", but considering they had "atleast one" for the past 3 years, im pretty sure it'll remian that way. I would love to do 2 additional texsts, but if i do, i'm just going to go overtime and therefore stuff up the other sections (because im doing that section 1st).

I still managed to get 14/15 for the trial with only one additional text (which was hte highest in the grade).

pirate

yeah i'm fairly good at the AoS paper. i can write a story in about 30mins which gave me a 14/15, the first section i can do in about 35 and also i got 14/15 so that leaves me with about 55 mins for section 3 and i can add my two texts stimulus and prescribe in a maximum of 50mins if i write slowly. so yeah, i feel comfortable with AoS paper

:: ck ::

Actuarial Boy
HSC
sorry guys band 6 requires 2 texts
no 2 texts = no band 6

CrashOveride

HSC
ryan u know that from where?
if it says at least one, i hope thru the study of english all year etc people know what this means.

tennille

HSC
Originally posted by :: ryan.cck ::
sorry guys band 6 requires 2 texts
no 2 texts = no band 6
How exactly do you know this? You don't have any idea how the system works. I don't mean to be rude but people are capable of getting a top band for only mentioning one text. If one of the markers of the Board of Studies says one additional texts is good, then it should be. I'm not going to sacrifice a detailed analysis to do 4 texts. It is NOT asking for a VARIETY of texts. Why the hell would they state AT LEAST ONE TEXT (clearly meaning a minimum of ONE and which allows people to choose an easier option) and penalise those who do only one text?

I spoke to the advice line and they said you DON'T get penalised. Anyway, they prefer a detailed analysis rather than a superficial analysis of texts. If you can write fast and provide a detailed analysis in 40 minutes (giving you less than 10 minutes for each text) then good for you. But I doubt that they'd penalise those who can't write as fast and only talk about one additional text.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)