How many essays do u attempt a week? (1 Viewer)

hieuh

HSC
Well this generally concerns anyone doing modern history.. how many essays do you guys attempt each week leading up to the HSC? .. and to anyone out there doing Japan as their national study is there any textbooks on Japan from 1904-1937 ? ..THANKS!

craz

HSC
Essays are real important in Modern History. In a week, you should try 2-3 essay questions preferably out of past exam papers. If you are keen you could do 4-5 essays but keep in mind when practicing essays that you should time yourself to ready yourself for the HSC.

hieuh

HSC
What do u mean past exam papers? ..the new syllabus was implemented in 2001 so does that mean i gotta do questions in the old syllabus?

craz

HSC
It would be advantageous for you to look at some of the past 2001 papers...even though there is a new syllabus because they can still pluck out questions from past papers and rephrase them or something.

I would also advise you to read the questions carefully, do it within the time limit and don't just write crap, know your stuff.

hopeles5ly

Take Me Higher.
HSC
N/A
Will be writing 2 for each topic leading up to my trials. Our teacher is holding a Modern study day tomorrow at school lolz. Should be interesting.

illmatic

NaS
HSC
rubbish. i never churned out 2-3 essays per week months prior to the actual exam. I did no essays in preparation for the Trials, but more importantly i did not even know all the facts to actually create a decent, historically accurate essay. For that i got around 60% and i learned my lesson. i convinced myself id change and start enthusiastically writing essays every week. that never happened. instead i ended up learning and understanding all the facts, and i made sure i knew them. leading up to the hsc i did a few essays, but everyone does that shit.

just know your shit, write a few. dont full pressure yourself to know half the facts and making an essay out of it just for the sake of it. know your shit, then write a couple, otherwise youll find yourself trying to memorise shit from pre-written essays which is a huge no no for modern history. in the end i got a band 6.

craz

HSC
There is one chance in a million that you can get away with writing crap. For the vast majority of us, it is not that easy. Sure, there are some people like illmatic who may get band 6 for writing bull, but make sure if you know that you write bull and it's got nothing by it, evidence, facts or even an argument, be prepared to accept the consequences.

Do what you think is best for your own study. BUT don't follow what one says just because one says so. Think before you take any action.

Bobness

English / Law
HSC
N/A
everyone's got a different studying method.

but for those who study the entire content .. how the f*ck can you go through EVERYTHING?

illmatic

NaS
HSC
craz said:
There is one chance in a million that you can get away with writing crap. For the vast majority of us, it is not that easy. Sure, there are some people like illmatic who may get band 6 for writing bull, but make sure if you know that you write bull and it's got nothing by it, evidence, facts or even an argument, be prepared to accept the consequences.

Do what you think is best for your own study. BUT don't follow what one says just because one says so. Think before you take any action.

I didnt say i got a band 6 from writing crap. I got a band 6 by just knowing my shit thoroughly, and i wrote only a couple of essays because by doing so many i found i would get into the habit of just trying to memorise.

the whole point of my post was that it's not the end of the world if you dont write 1000000000000000000 essays per week. the point is to know the shit so you're able to "just write" without having to think about it too much.

craz

HSC
Please note illmatic I am not blaming anyone. All I'm saying is that not everybody may not be as talented as you are at knowing your stuff. Each person learns differently. Just recognise that.

HSC
bobness said:
everyone's got a different studying method.

but for those who study the entire content .. how the f*ck can you go through EVERYTHING?
Don't panic about how huge the course is. What you need to do (and I appreciate that some people don't/can't work like this - but it worked for me), is to not worry about the big picture and work your way through the course dot point by do point. Get a calendar/diary, and plan to work through one dot point every two days - and then in the few weeks leading up to the exam you won't have to worry about compiling the information you need, it will already be there.

EDIT: In response to the topic, I found that I would go through MH essay writing phases, where I would write one every day for two weeks or so, but then at other times I wouldn't write any for a month. Personally, I think that writing practise essays is invaluable because you need to make sure that you can synthesise your information into an argument and that you have a 'history essay voice'.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)