• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

How many Gigs of music do you have? (1 Viewer)

Götterfunken

HSC
redslert said:
eh.....the world?
it's the international standard, get used to it :rolleyes:
Of course. That explains why hard drives, etc, still come measured in SI units, and not with binary prefixes. Although It's a international standard, it's common accepted as being, for lack of a better phrase, 'not good' and the mega,giga,etc-bytes are still in popular use by the vast majority of the people.

redslert

yes, my actual brain
HSC
Götterfunken said:
Of course. That explains why hard drives, etc, still come measured in SI units, and not with binary prefixes. Although It's a international standard, it's common accepted as being, for lack of a better phrase, 'not good' and the mega,giga,etc-bytes are still in popular use by the vast majority of the people.
no
the only reason for change is because mega is 1000 but mega byte is 1024

you will find that all new software will start to use the new terms, all universities are using the new terms for teaching
so unless you want to be still stuck on using pounds and shillings in australia, then go ahead and stick with your old ways

phizz

aka: Philly Cheese
HSC
I all ways thought is was based on the fact that binary is base 2, not base 10 (decimal system).

Thats why Mega in binary is 2^20, because the number of binary digits required to create an SI Mega (1 000 000) is 20. However the range 20 binary digits is 1 048 576, therefore a binary representation of a Mega, Giga, etc... is different.

If there is a new system being introduced that attempts to form a base 2 system into base 10, it would be as stupid as making PI equal 3 (which an American state apparently did, they changed it back though).

SashatheMan

StudyforEver
HSC
N/A
phizz said:
I all ways thought is was based on the fact that binary is base 2, not base 10 (decimal system).

Thats why Mega in binary is 2^20, because the number of binary digits required to create an SI Mega (1 000 000) is 20. However the range 20 binary digits is 1 048 576, therefore a binary representation of a Mega, Giga, etc... is different.

If there is a new system being introduced that attempts to form a base 2 system into base 10, it would be as stupid as making PI equal 3 (which an American state apparently did, they changed it back though).
what state us that? that be so stupid

phizz

aka: Philly Cheese
HSC
I can't quite remeber which state....Missuri, Ohio???

I was told about it from my Math lecturer, so it'll probably be in some Mathematics magazine, or floating around the internet somewhere.

I think it was initially introduced by ignorant pollitions who couldn't grasp the concept of PI having decimal places and changed it to exactly 3 (in their state).

But it didn't last long when the pollitions were taught why it needs the decimal places, and it was changed back.

Whether this actually happens who knows, but I belive it has at least been 'an-amendment-to-be' at one stage somewhere.

blackbunny

HSC
equiski said:
And let me guess; a shitty soundblaster to top it all off.

Yay, so you can spam the boards with your bullshit at 10megabits a second. How the fuck is that a good thing?
i download at 10 megabytes. i repeat 10 megabYtes. since when fast speed is not a good thing?

jelous... but your criticism, i think yes

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)