How many hours of study...?? (1 Viewer)

rosannisayshi

HSC
hey ppl whose lookin at this, i'm new here so this message is just for trying out...

Please answer this:
Does everyone do a few hours of study each and every day and if so, how do you manage this as a part of your daily routine?
Doesn't it bore you to death?

Chambalam

HSC
I know 3 hours a day is recommended on school nights, maybe 5 on weekends?

I personally don't "sit down and work". I sit at my big desk, eating food, maybe watching youtube, talking on msn/facebook as i do my work. This means I get 3 hours of schoolwork done over maybe 5 hours. So basically I lose MOST (i play sport) of the night. I prefer it this way because sitting down and solidly working can cause mess with my head.

That being said I've done 14 hour sundays before during assessment weeks to try and nail things... But that usually does some strange things to your head (putting cereal in the bathroom)

slyhunter

Retired
HSC
Half an hour per subject, excluding major assignments.

ReNG

HSC
I know 3 hours a day is recommended on school nights, maybe 5 on weekends?

I personally don't "sit down and work". I sit at my big desk, eating food, maybe watching youtube, talking on msn/facebook as i do my work. This means I get 3 hours of schoolwork done over maybe 5 hours. So basically I lose MOST (i play sport) of the night. I prefer it this way because sitting down and solidly working can cause mess with my head.

That being said I've done 14 hour sundays before during assessment weeks to try and nail things... But that usually does some strange things to your head (putting cereal in the bathroom)
LOL! At least i'm not the only one whos doing strange things. I walked around my house without even realising i walked in the first place. O_O

sydchick

HSC
N/A
Guys, you're in prelim. Don't worry about studying...wait, until the HSC takes over your life as it inevitably will.

Chambalam

HSC
Guys, you're in prelim. Don't worry about studying...wait, until the HSC takes over your life as it inevitably will.
I'd half agree. If you can treat prelim like the ultimate learning curve and not the marks then you're pretty damn on track.

Example: We have a chemistry assessment, a lot of kids go hastling past-students (as they sat the same one) and get all the insight and hints, whereas I'd rather independently try and go at it and figure out things without other peoples direct help, because thats more like the HSC.

I mean take maths, a quarter of that content is on the HSC anyway. And the English course is a mirror isn't it? I think the guy that can work hard, do their study, treat it like a learning experience - but not get stressed, and not get tied up about their marks / ranks is set :\

Sadly few of those exist, either people brush it off completely, or let their pride in the way and chase it at the expense of burning out :p

pacman911

HSC
For me, the only things I do during the weekdays is homework. Try to work ahead of the class by a couple of dot points, so when your in class it kinda serves as your revision. On your weekends, just go over everything you've done in the week, this shouldn't take more than 20 minutes per subject, even if its just a brief read over. I do about 1-2 hours of homework on weekdays, and I spend 2 hours of my Sunday just revising on the stuff we did during the week.

kaitmaree77

HSC
N/A
I'm awful. I don't really study unless it's really neccessary. I do my homework and assessments as set, but I'd really rather read for leisure so that usually steals my time. I do try to get a little study in, and I do a lot more for Ancient than I would for my preliminary subjects. I do plan on picking up my efforts next year, it's just priorities at the moment that turn me away from being focused on my prelim. stuff.

Chambalam

HSC
I'm awful. I don't really study unless it's really neccessary. I do my homework and assessments as set, but I'd really rather read for leisure so that usually steals my time. I do try to get a little study in, and I do a lot more for Ancient than I would for my preliminary subjects. I do plan on picking up my efforts next year, it's just priorities at the moment that turn me away from being focused on my prelim. stuff.
Term 3 is your last term to build study habits, and be able to try them out and fail. Sometimes things won't work, so it's best to do some trial and error now-rather-than later during the HSC where a few marks in this assessment can cost your atar (once they accumulate)

t00l

HSC
i like to spend every day studying besides sundays as thats a day off to relax and take a breath. the amount of work you do every day will depend on yourself however. also, it will probably be work everyday in yr 12. time flies by fast

kaitmaree77

HSC
N/A
Term 3 is your last term to build study habits, and be able to try them out and fail. Sometimes things won't work, so it's best to do some trial and error now-rather-than later during the HSC where a few marks in this assessment can cost your atar (once they accumulate)
No, I'm definitely aware. It's more that (as you can see in my signature) I am sitting a subject that is for the HSC this year, so my focus is much more directed that way. I do focus and study on that.

Thanks for the advice, though. I definitely agree and plan on bettering myself as a student this term.

Chambalam

HSC
No, I'm definitely aware. It's more that (as you can see in my signature) I am sitting a subject that is for the HSC this year, so my focus is much more directed that way. I do focus and study on that.

Thanks for the advice, though. I definitely agree and plan on bettering myself as a student this term.
Right! Now I see, good point, the HSC subject would have the focus.

It really is hard to justify giving a damn during a competency based course :\

HSC
Uni Grad
hey ppl whose lookin at this, i'm new here so this message is just for trying out...

Please answer this:
Does everyone do a few hours of study each and every day and if so, how do you manage this as a part of your daily routine?
Doesn't it bore you to death?
Depends
As for me, I don't have a set study routine, instead I just do whatever work I have to do as of now..
Although in year 12, I know that I'll have to change my routine around; year 11 isn't really that difficult anyway.

Studying in a routine bores me to death, that's why I don't do it; instead study more for the subjects that have content that will carry over to year 12, like Maths (plus the fact that I have to be ranked in top 15-20 in ext 1 maths to do 4U)

Popcorn311

HSC
Ive been trying to keep a routine of 2-3 hrs after school each day but fk its hard :(

20Ten

HSC
Quality not quantity. It's not about the period of time studied, it's about what you achieve and the progress you make in the period of time spent studying. There's no use saying you'll study X hours if you're not working productively because then you'll just be wasting your time.

Instead of concentrating on how long you're studying, actually look at how much you're getting done.

freehug

HSC
i study when i can lol which i hardly get time to but i squeeze it in somehow i try go for quality not quantity... TIP for people who show horses a good way is to read you notes to the horse to stop it pouring beside the truck while holdin a lunge whip in the other hand it works :)

Help Galore

HSC
Quality not quantity. It's not about the period of time studied, it's about what you achieve and the progress you make in the period of time spent studying. There's no use saying you'll study X hours if you're not working productively because then you'll just be wasting your time.

Instead of concentrating on how long you're studying, actually look at how much you're getting done.
This.

/End thread.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)