how many hours of study (1 Viewer)

beetree1

HSC
same haha.. I'm assuming you have a really high goal like 99.95, I'm personally trying to scrape by with an 85 lol
I have a question for u beetree- how the heck do you stay focused for that long???? I genuinely can't so any tips would be awesome
Not going to lie, I am not 100% focused all the time, I do find myself going on my phone and looking at random shit or going on this website. So you should get an app called Forest which helps prevent this. It forces you to stop procrastinating, and just do work.

I think 85 atar is definitely do-able for anyone! Stay motivated, take breaks and study hard and you will be surprised with what you can achieve :)

#RoadTo31Atar

HSC
eng 98
3u math 67/70
4u 97
eco 95
legal 98
With those marks I reckon you would do well in the HSC no matter if you studied 10hr a day or 4hr a day, esp because ur ranks would be very good too. There's no downside to working hard tho if u want to.

beetree1

HSC
With those marks I reckon you would do well in the HSC no matter if you studied 10hr a day or 4hr a day, esp because ur ranks would be very good too. There's no downside to working hard tho if u want to.
Very much false because good marks are not inherent, you have to work for them.

Just from personal experience but you cannot have that kind of mindset when studying after you receive good marks, because this would demotivate you to study and lead to your ultimate failure as you did not maintain that hardworking mindset with a goal to get better marks.

To everyone out there that is feeling overly confident with themselves after getting trials back, even if you got 100 in everything, please note that there is so much room for improvement and do not stop studying as much as you did, otherwise you will find yourself struggling in the exams and disappointed with your marks in December.

Working hard is not an option, it is a necessity

Xanthi

HSC

Just from personal experience but you cannot have that kind of mindset when studying after you receive good marks, because this would demotivate you to study and lead to your ultimate failure as you did not maintain that hardworking mindset with a goal to get better marks.

To everyone out there that is feeling overly confident with themselves after getting trials back, even if you got 100 in everything, please note that there is so much room for improvement and do not stop studying as much as you did, otherwise you will find yourself struggling in the exams and disappointed with your marks in December.

Yes especially for those in lower ranking schools who might be rank 1 and 100 for everything. Not a good move to slack off, could be difference between 90 and 99.95.

mmmm.

HSC
I start (now) 6am until 10pm with 1hr breaks for breakfast and lunch and 2 hour breaks for dinner. The rest is just grinding past papers and hating life but whatever there is literally only 20 days left
Omg i couldn't image studying that early in the morning. Do you have any tips for staying focused for such long periods of time?

#RoadTo31Atar

HSC

Yes especially for those in lower ranking schools who might be rank 1 and 100 for everything. Not a good move to slack off, could be difference between 90 and 99.95.
Studying weak areas for 4 hrs a day for example is not slacking off, I'm also not saying that it should be your goal to do nothing and still do well. I'm saying - studying 10hrs a day is prob unnecessary as if you studied hard beforehand in the year leading up to the HSC you should not or even cannot have that much stuff you don't know or bad at. If you need to cram so hard you will prob do bad anyway.

The difference between you and the student who did nothing and is now cramming is that you also worked hard in the year prior to exams and not just 3 weeks before. You can learn a lot more in a consistent year of learning than in 3 weeks of cramming.

What you're doing is both studying consistently and cramming, my point is that you can prob chill a bit and instead of studying 10hrs a day you can study 8, or 6 or 4 and your results will still be great because of the work you put in the year prior.

Xanthi

HSC
Studying weak areas for 4 hrs a day for example is not slacking off, I'm also not saying that it should be your goal to do nothing and still do well. I'm saying - studying 10hrs a day is prob unnecessary as if you studied hard beforehand in the year leading up to the HSC you should not or even cannot have that much stuff you don't know or bad at. If you need to cram so hard you will prob do bad anyway.

The difference between you and the student who did nothing and is now cramming is that you also worked hard in the year prior to exams and not just 3 weeks before. You can learn a lot more in a consistent year of learning than in 3 weeks of cramming.

What you're doing is both studying consistently and cramming, my point is that you can prob chill a bit and instead of studying 10hrs a day you can study 8, or 6 or 4 and your results will still be great because of the work you put in the year prior.
Tbh 4 hours does feel a bit low, if you do the normal school day that's already 6 hours and leaves a bunch of times for breaks. But I get your point, probably just do enough but not too much that it feels like you're going to tire yourself out.

Mazar97

HSC
Ngl I haven’t been studying much cause I just need a 60+ (maybe 65 to be on the safe side) ATAR to get into my course

jojosiwa123

HSC

yeah even as one of those students who crams I agree w this...but at the same time amount of hours isn't always everything, quality of study matters as well eg some people will literally stare at and highlight notes for 4hrs vs someone doing a past paper in 3hrs

beetree1

HSC
I still think it is not too late for anyone to start cramming in 3 weeks as everyone will be surprised with how much they can achieve in a short amount of time. Do not be disheartened!

jojosiwa123

HSC
I still think it is not too late for anyone to start cramming in 3 weeks as everyone will be surprised with how much they can achieve in a short amount of time. Do not be disheartened!
hope so haha. thanks for being so positive a lot of people need reassurance right now. btw I hope you do really well!!! good luck!!

pikachu975

Premium Member
HSC
yeah even as one of those students who crams I agree w this...but at the same time amount of hours isn't always everything, quality of study matters as well eg some people will literally stare at and highlight notes for 4hrs vs someone doing a past paper in 3hrs
Yeah same our school had 3 sets of trials back then (so 3 trial blocks, i.e 3 trials per subject) and I somehow had to cram every single one... the pressure just makes study so efficient sometimes

Xanthi

HSC
Yeah same our school had 3 sets of trials back then (so 3 trial blocks, i.e 3 trials per subject) and I somehow had to cram every single one... the pressure just makes study so efficient sometimes
3 sets of trials? Like over 3 weeks?

jazz519

HSC
Uni Grad
3 sets of trials? Like over 3 weeks?
i went same school lol nah legit 3 different trial periods 😂 1 in term 2 week 7-8 , 2 in term 3 from week 2-3 and then like 7-8. yeah I know our school is mad

beetree1

HSC
i went same school lol nah legit 3 different trial periods 😂 1 in term 2 week 7-8 , 2 in term 3 from week 2-3 and then like 7-8. yeah I know our school is mad
So like internal assessment tasks but with 3 hour time periods

jazz519

HSC
Uni Grad
So like internal assessment tasks but with 3 hour time periods
I know it sounds mad and I don't even know if it's allowed by NESA to give so many assignments and exams but well our principal liked to do revolutionary things so he just did whatever he thought was best. This was our exam structure for most subjects (some were just plain exams but most like this):
- Term 4: research assignment + a 1 hr exam off the research assignment or just an exam for an hour or so
- Term 1: half yearlies that went for 3 hours I think for most stuff other than English which was like 2 hours
- Term 2 beginning: practical exam (sciences) (and in that they sneaked in more exam theory stuff too) or for other subjects we had some kind of exam like a speech for English or just a normal exam for an hour or two
- Term 2 towards end: first set of full trial exams with length like you would do for the HSC exam
- Term 3 beginning: 2nd set of full trial exams of the CSSA with length like you do for the HSC exam
- Term 3 towards end: 3rd set of trial exams written by the school with length like you do for the HSC exam

So yeah kind of screwed up when you look at it like that but it got results so I guess it worked

beetree1

HSC
I know it sounds mad and I don't even know if it's allowed by NESA to give so many assignments and exams but well our principal liked to do revolutionary things so he just did whatever he thought was best. This was our exam structure for most subjects (some were just plain exams but most like this):
- Term 4: research assignment + a 1 hr exam off the research assignment or just an exam for an hour or so
- Term 1: half yearlies that went for 3 hours I think for most stuff other than English which was like 2 hours
- Term 2 beginning: practical exam (sciences) (and in that they sneaked in more exam theory stuff too) or for other subjects we had some kind of exam like a speech for English or just a normal exam for an hour or two
- Term 2 towards end: first set of full trial exams with length like you would do for the HSC exam
- Term 3 beginning: 2nd set of full trial exams of the CSSA with length like you do for the HSC exam
- Term 3 towards end: 3rd set of trial exams written by the school with length like you do for the HSC exam

So yeah kind of screwed up when you look at it like that but it got results so I guess it worked
that actually sounds pretty good... my school always gave us 1hour to write a 1000 word essay for english and heaps of time for everything else too so everyone was just pretty much Fked for trials lol

jazz519

HSC
Uni Grad
that actually sounds pretty good... my school always gave us 1hour to write a 1000 word essay for english and heaps of time for everything else too so everyone was just pretty much Fked for trials lol
Yeah it's good for students who are willing to put in the work cause on top of that we finished content really early like term 2 week 5 and they did some non-assessable practice exams as well for some subjects like maths so we got a lot of practice

beetree1

HSC
wtf what school is this???? i wish my school did that
Yeah it's good for students who are willing to put in the work cause on top of that we finished content really early like term 2 week 5 and they did some non-assessable practice exams as well for some subjects like maths so we got a lot of practice

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)