• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

How many hours part-time job would not effect a law studnet drastically. (1 Viewer)

theloorloor

HSC
N/A
Im studying commerce/law and I was wondering how many hours of part time (approximately~ I dont want answers like it depends on person) a week would not drastically effect my uni marks if I am aiming in the Distinction average range (not HD).

wannaspoon

ремове кебаб
HSC
Uni Grad
There is time for anything if you do it right...

I know people who are working full time and doing 3 subjects at any one time... they do really well... (Not saying you will be the same)

hate to say it (because you advised against it) but it really does depend on the person in my opinion... I see people who never rock up to uni getting distinction averages wondering how... just do what you feel comfortable with I guess (by that I mean experiment and hope your employer plays ball)... Law is hard, however, it is honestly not as hard as a lot of people say...

enoilgam

HSC
It really does depend on the person and a variety of factors. This question cannot really be answered with a simple number.

theloorloor

HSC
N/A
Im looking for someone who has studied law before and have also worked part-time and I want to hear their personal opinion of how the pressure was and their hours

enoilgam

HSC
Im looking for someone who has studied law before and have also worked part-time and I want to hear their personal opinion of how the pressure was and their hours
I have studied Law before and worked part time - my answer remains unchanged. For me, I found it fairly manageable although there was a lot more work compared to just straight commerce. But really, that will vary from person to person. Factors like ability, motivation and personal management all factor in, so a definitive answer is difficult to provide.

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
Exactly eight. If you do nine, you will die. Seven or less and employers will laugh you out of the room

Crobat

#tyrannosaurusREKT
HSC
Exactly eight. If you do nine, you will die. Seven or less and employers will laugh you out of the room
+1 Nailed it.

Even if you don't like to hear it, there is no formula for hours in employment and doing well in uni. It is not like x hours = y% less in marks - it genuinely differs from person to person predominantly because not everyone is on equal footing when it comes to learning and understanding their work.

My mother worked full time as an accountant whilst studying two master degrees and supporting a family with 2 kids (aged 4 and 1) and still kept a distinction/high distinction average in her subjects. I work ~10-15 hours a week (english tutoring) and have a steady D-HD average with the off credit once in a while. I have friends who work 20+ hours a week only managing passes and credits, but others working that much with Ds+. It comes down to how effective you study, which does not necessarily equate to how long you study. That being said I know it's more comforting to have more hours than you need to study, so 10 hours a week seems fair enough.

Spiritual Being

hehehehehe
HSC
Uni Grad
Formula:

(hours required by work) + (20 additional hours required due to inherent dumbness) + (4000 hours convincing employer on the green Earth to hire someone with such incompetency) - (time worked per week) = amount of hours you can work which won't "effect a law studnet drastically"

wannaspoon

ремове кебаб
HSC
Uni Grad
Wannaspoon is a Law student, so you might want to give their post some consideration as well.
thanks boss...

my opinion also remains unchanged... I got a better idea...

1: don't work,
2: find out what benefits you are entitled to with centrelink
3: get "sponsored" by (scab from) centrelink
4: ???
5: thanks obama,
6: PROFIT!!!!

I was honestly doing 45+ hours (four 10 hour shifts + overtime a week, labouring) and 2 subjects each semester with my last degree... It was only a social science degree... but I managed perfectly-ish...

Thinking about it now... It was dumb, dangerous, etc (at times I was running on 2+ days without sleep driving forklifts etc (yes, I got a forklift licence)... this was especially the case around assignment time... However, this was a rare occurrence)... taking a break from work at the moment and have enjoyed sitting on a wad of cash I collected while working (I save really good)... I want to get back into the workforce as well... however, If I repeat what I did back then I know I will not cope with the workload... to give you an indicator of what I want I would do no more than 20 hours a week... and maybe trim it down to 14-16 hours come exam and assignment time...

don't hold me to that account but... I'm not saying you would be able to cope with that... but then again you could do more if you somehow think you're better than me... :lol:

also, you might also want to consider holding off working during the university semester and just working your arse off over the summer and winter holidays... they take ages and it can be a good pass time...

thx noted,

anyone else want to share?
did what I wrote above help at all...

Last edited:

theloorloor

HSC
N/A
thanks boss...

my opinion also remains unchanged... I got a better idea...

1: don't work,
2: find out what benefits you are entitled to with centrelink
3: get "sponsored" by (scab from) centrelink
4: ???
5: thanks obama,
6: PROFIT!!!!

I was honestly doing 45+ hours (four 10 hour shifts + overtime a week, labouring) and 2 subjects each semester with my last degree... It was only a social science degree... but I managed perfectly-ish...

Thinking about it now... It was dumb, dangerous, etc (at times I was running on 2+ days without sleep driving forklifts etc (yes, I got a forklift licence)... this was especially the case around assignment time... However, this was a rare occurrence)... taking a break from work at the moment and have enjoyed sitting on a wad of cash I collected while working (I save really good)... I want to get back into the workforce as well... however, If I repeat what I did back then I know I will not cope with the workload... to give you an indicator of what I want I would do no more than 20 hours a week... and maybe trim it down to 14-16 hours come exam and assignment time...

don't hold me to that account but... I'm not saying you would be able to cope with that... but then again you could do more if you somehow think you're better than me... :lol:

also, you might also want to consider holding off working during the university semester and just working your arse off over the summer and winter holidays... they take ages and it can be a good pass time...

did what I wrote above help at all...
dude thats actually insane. You must be a beast.

So you recken 10 hours a week would be decent considering im bit below the average student.

wannaspoon

ремове кебаб
HSC
Uni Grad
dude thats actually insane. You must be a beast.

So you recken 10 hours a week would be decent considering im bit below the average student.
its easy when you never rock up to uni... got a wake up call when I got my first year, first semester marks at law school and decided to quit...

my manager looked like he wanted to flip a table when I announced that I wanted to quit...

do whatever you feel comfortable with...

lawstu

HSC
Im studying commerce/law and I was wondering how many hours of part time (approximately~ I dont want answers like it depends on person) a week would not drastically effect my uni marks if I am aiming in the Distinction average range (not HD).
I entered law school with a part-time job at a firm and a part-time job doing pro bono. I realised shortly after starting that, despite things being a breeze (in retrospect), I could not juggle everything then.

If you've had a job before commencing a law degree and for a long duration, you could probably continue with it, working no more than 8 h. However, this isn't you, do not get a job until you can manage what is probably more important for you in the long term; uni and law school.

I can't comment on what it takes to obtain a D, as I don't know how you do, how others do, and multiple factors. I am also not in the position or able to offer you an estimate of the number of hours that would not markedly affect your performance. For myself, however, I know that asking for less than 8 h is unrealistic and absurd, and any more than 8 would be too much on top of 18 h days. Some students work as much as three times a week from morning to evening, but they don't perform quite as well. Whether they would perform as well without the work, who knows.

Edit: As a combined law student, in the interest of your own advancement, you could probably get some experience now. Don't overdo it, but don't do nothing because it's almost essential to start getting your foot in the door now. This seems inconsistent with the above reply, but your non-pure law years are relatively easy (thank goodness you do B.Comm.!). Once you hit your pure law years, you could probably still work, but you have to be careful with the change from combined law (Law III) to pure law (Law IV).

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)