• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

How many marks lost for not including conclusion (1 Viewer)

Starship22

HSC
Hi, I ran out of time to write a conclusion on my 20 mark essay, which led me to write [INSERT INTRO HERE AS CONCLUSION].

How many marks would I lose, assuming that my essay is pretty decent all around?

iloveeggs

HSC
Hi, I ran out of time to write a conclusion on my 20 mark essay, which led me to write [INSERT INTRO HERE AS CONCLUSION].

How many marks would I lose, assuming that my essay is pretty decent all around?
ok so im gonna speak abt my specific school here, this might not be applicable to everyone

in my school they value your arguments and quality of your writing over overall structure. ive seen a few ppl get full marks without conclusions but they have top-notch body paragraphs. also keep in mind even without a conclusion their incomplete essay as a stand alone met the marking criteria, so they answered the question well enough in the bodies for it to work even without a link back to the q in the end.

ive seen a sample essay for prelims that was so good my teacher called it a 25/20 and so it got 20/20 even without the conclusion

that being said its hard to do that and if your body paragraphs are whatever you might lose one or 2 marks at most.

tigerian

HSC
N/A
As a marker an essay without some sort of conclusion is considered incomplete. I would probably mark it around 17 maximum

igor9

HSC
hello mr sir, i got a 19 once in year 11 without a conclusion or finishing my 3rd body with an ultimately sentence, i definitely think it is still possible.

tigerian

HSC
N/A
hello mr sir, i got a 19 once in year 11 without a conclusion or finishing my 3rd body with an ultimately sentence, i definitely think it is still possible.
it’s definitely possible but with marking being so subjective Im just asking if it’s worth the risk? This is still a very contentious debate in our perspectives as markers . I would encourage everyone to at least have a one sentence conclusion.( preferably 2 or 3 ). At least your marker revognises your essay is finished

iloveeggs

HSC
i think its really dependent on the marker and quality of everything else you've written but def don't count on getting good marks w/o a conclusion. i dont think it would fly in the hsc

QuiteLiterate

HSC

Hi Starship!

HSC markers are trained to avoid 'deducting' marks or 'penalising' mistakes, and instead, they're tasked with rewarding what what is done successfully in a script. If you don't have a conclusion, the main impacted criterion will be the third dot point relating to control of language/form for purpose, audience, and context, which will likely be bumped to a B-C range. It'll depend entirely on the quality of everything else you've written, but it's rare to see an incomplete, albeit exceptional script achieve anything beyond a high B-range.

jay_son

HSC

yeah, unlucky... one of my mates didn't write a conclusion and he got a 10 lmao

fesi2w3

If I don't get a 99+ it's over for everyone
HSC
I've lost 1 mark from my essay for not putting a conclusion (because essay structure, y'know), it's largely a matter of quality. At my school you're better off trying to squeeze one in, it's fine as long as it exists and says what it needs to say in as minimal words possible, it doesn't even have to be good :smile: but it could be different for yours

jay_son

HSC
perhaps it wasn't because of his conclusion, perhaps it was because of his shit essay innit??
lmao just a joke, i was trying to say not writing a conclusion isn't too deep, he'll still get a decent mark if his essay was good :cool:

iloveeggs

HSC
HSC markers are trained to avoid 'deducting' marks or 'penalising' mistakes, and instead, they're tasked with rewarding what what is done successfully in a script.
totally agree, i have heard my english teachers say this pretty much word for word. obv its not ideal to leave out a conclusion but yeah it depends on where the marking criteria says you are in terms of meeting outcomes

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)