• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

How many of you think employers are bias towards males. (1 Viewer)

Wooz

^wooz*y^
HSC
I've been searching for an after school job for a while and so have a few of my friends. He applied at KFC and was rejected his cousin and a few of her friends applied at the same time and got the job. You should see all the fast food outlets around where i live such as: maccas, kfc, donut-king, subway, small retail shops etc, they are full of chicks and only employ them. Have u had a hard time searching for a job because they only want to emply chicks (vice-versa)?

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
IMO if employers weren't gender biased then they wouldn't need to advertise the fact that they employ women (or men) so heavily..

From what I've seen in my friends.. they've all gotten jobs at KFC and Maccas.. for places like Donut King I think you just gotta turn up with a nice smile. Mind you i've never gotten a job in retail before >_>

Wooz

^wooz*y^
HSC
Trust me alot of them are biased i always smile, i have a very good resume, 1st's in most subjects etc, 100% attendence etc, i even have a certificate from the deprtment of education for job emplyment and training etc. I and a few of my friends have een trying to get part tome jobs for months and im gettng pissed off when girls at my school always get the jobs that they apply for. The local KFC always has 10 chicks and 2 guys on the pressure cookers, its a similar story with maccas the guys that work there are on the fryers, at my local subway its all ckicks. I've applied at many of these places and i always hear about my female friends getting the job at same place i applied for even though i applied beofre them, i didnt even get a phone call for an interview. GRRRRR, maybe this gender bias is just where i live in.

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
Or perhaps you're just full of yourself and your prospective employers can see this and turn you down on the basis of that.

breaking

paint huffing moron
HSC
seremify007 said:
IMO if employers weren't gender biased then they wouldn't need to advertise the fact that they employ women (or men) so heavily..

From what I've seen in my friends.. they've all gotten jobs at KFC and Maccas.. for places like Donut King I think you just gotta turn up with a nice smile. Mind you i've never gotten a job in retail before >_>
nah to get a job at donut king you need to be asian LOL

P

pLuvia

Some might be biased towards men. But who cares, if they don't want you then move up, no point sulky about it. Its pure coincidence

Wooz

^wooz*y^
HSC
hipsta_jess said:
Or perhaps you're just full of yourself and your prospective employers can see this and turn you down on the basis of that.
Im not full of my self or stuck up, im not snobbish or anything, i did a job finding/searching skills course and i went in mock interviews etc and i was dux of the course and its not just me its my male friends aswell that are finidng it extremely difficult to find jobs in the hawkesbury.

Wooz

^wooz*y^
HSC
breaking said:
nah to get a job at donut king you need to be asian LOL
I'm asian, a female friend of mine got a job there lastweek, they have 6 chicks working there no guys a few of my friends applied they didnt even get an interview or anything.

P

pLuvia

job finding skills course?? mock interviews?? dux?? what's the point, it's all common sense, but congrats :)

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Wooz said:
Trust me alot of them are biased i always smile, i have a very good resume, 1st's in most subjects etc, 100% attendence etc, i even have a certificate from the deprtment of education for job emplyment and training etc. I and a few of my friends have een trying to get part tome jobs for months and im gettng pissed off when girls at my school always get the jobs that they apply for. The local KFC always has 10 chicks and 2 guys on the pressure cookers, its a similar story with maccas the guys that work there are on the fryers, at my local subway its all ckicks. I've applied at many of these places and i always hear about my female friends getting the job at same place i applied for even though i applied beofre them, i didnt even get a phone call for an interview. GRRRRR, maybe this gender bias is just where i live in.
Why you'd want to tell Maccas and KFC that you top subjects at school is beyond me. Look at it this way- you should show them that you are what they want... and I don't think they really care if you can do mathematical induction or not.

Btw we did mock job interviews for Commerce in yr10... it was awesome. I never realised you should sit your ass into a chair.

HSC
If i was an employer, working in fast food / entry level job, i'd pick someone with a more outgoing personality or previous experience, not an academic overachiever who got 'first in course, dux in a job interview course, 100% attendance'.

I couldn't find work for over half a year (probably because my availability was restricted to one night and one day a week) so i resorted to doing volunteer work just to gain experience.

Last edited:

rhapsody11

HSC
N/A
I think they do. Put it this way:

Whether we're more intelligent than females; we're physically stronger.

There is no non-domestic job that a male or a gay guy can't do.

7th Sign

HSC
kfcs my mates work at basically apply any one, they dont care what sex you are...also apparently the managers at this local one are hell shifty let knts take like 5 drinks a night out of the fridge and give out unlimited shit for free lol...

olchik

HSC
I think that it depends on the place where you want to apply. For example once I was rejected to work in the bar, coz they hired just men.

Skittled

What did the crab do?
HSC
Liberal Scum said:
Hot bar chicks = more drinks bought = profit. What an idiot bar owner.
Wouldn't that work for hot bar guys, too?

my sharona said:
If i was an employer, working in fast food / entry level job, i'd pick someone with a more outgoing personality or previous experience, not an academic overachiever who got 'first in course, dux in a job interview course, 100% attendance'.
Spot on... Wooz, you might be coming on as a bit over-qualified, or you yourself think certain things are important that the interviewer doesn't. That said, maybe they're looking for someone who will fit into the current team, rather than someone who has X quality or Y marks. If you've got a team of average students, maybe you'll be isolated and not get along as well, making it harder for everyone, including yoruself.

From there, simply saying you've noticed this trend isn't particularly good to decide that fast food managers are biased towards men or women. The ones in your area may be -- if so, go through the legal anti-discrimination procedures, if you like, but have your evidence ready first.

When you look into the psychology of what you're saying, as humans, you and I are biologically wired up to look for things like this, and as a result we often see patterns and 'biases' which aren't necessarily true. This is the same reason we have prejudice and stereotypes: pepole look for in-groups and out-groups, and react differently to them.

ALSO, people tend to externalise the reasons for their failure ('failure's a hard word in terms of mot getting a job, but it's the word I'm gonig to use, so don't take it to heart). It's not MY fault I was late; I left at 7am and then the train was delayed. It's not MY fault I didn't hand in the assignment; I tried but my dog ate it. For each of those, you can see internalised reasons: you should leave ealier, plan your trip, don't cut it so close. Similarly, control your dog, or something similarl. Try this one: It's not MY fault i didn't get the job: I'm an academic achiever, did the courses, but the interviewers are biased... OR, maybe you're just looking for the wrong job given your skills/talents (OR, maybe they really are biased; I'm just playing devil's advocate).

(However, just to balance up the argument, people tend to internally attribute people's failures; when you're really delayed due to the train, people attribute it to your intenral reasons: you're lazy and sleep in, or whatever... in this context, means that people are more than likely attributing your not-getting-a-job to your personal characteristics... I've done it, and there are other examples in others' posts, too)

Anyway, take it as a blessing... do you really want a fast food job? ;)

Skeeta

HSC
its like the reason maccas hire mostly girls for front counter. They tend to take more shit from customers without starting fights and throwing punches

hiphophooray123

Twisted firestarter
HSC
well in the case of a more professional job i would think that popular stereotypes, such as 'females tend to get more emotional and emotionally attached to things', would affect selection.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)