How Many Pages Did You Write? (1 Viewer)

p342i

HSC
nahian said:
"And the markers are going to think: 'there's no way this is a direct/genuine response to the question', at least that's what I hope"

Mozric mate, Do you seriously think markers think that students who write alot of pages arent direct?
At last, a voice of reason amid this babble of jealousy and lies.
People who say they write more than 30 pages are lying; unless they do double spacing.
People who go on with this trash about quality over quanitity are deluded. You are trying to make out that there is some kind of indisputable relationship between length of essay and the competency of its content.

Some people write less and its all relevant. Some people write more and its just filler. And some write long and well.

As ive stated; if you have two essays which are both direct to the question; one is 10 pages and the other is 20, the only difference between them is the 20 has more textual analysis, or an extra paradign it addresses; then what do you think the markers are going to do.

I think above 10 is a minimum requirement for 1 hour; getting to twenty is fine and in my opinion, the best amount, at least for me.

I wrote that much and I did not have any filler at all. I addressed and question, conveyed my thesis and supported it with textual analysis. I didnt have any of these "in additition to this" or "furthermore" - signs of improvisation for the intention of beefing up essays.

Finally, I will draw your attention to the fact that the EXEMPLAR response is 22 pages long. There is no disadvantage is writing alot, there is however in writing less. Anyway, my teacher, a HSC head marker for Ext 1 is famous for saying,

"It's the same thing every year. The girls always beat the boys in length."

Esqarial

HSC
I pretty much agree with the above - no essay length is directly congruent to a good or bad mark. If you're happy with your work, whether you wrote 15, 25 or 50 pages total, then best of luck to you. If not, bemoan a crappy stimulus, mental blanks during the exam or just get off the computer and actually *study* for your next one.

As said at the top of the thread, there are so many points of variance between people's speed, size and spacing that comparing the number of pages written is ultimately superfluous.

I wrote 46 at ~ 5 words a line. Do I think I waffled? No. Am I happy? Yes. Did I answer the question? Yes. That should be satisfying enough..

Last edited:

vigNETTE

HSC
Lol, well last year's "high-range mark" essay for pomo wrote 14, I don't think it matters in terms of quantity. It could also depend on ur handwriting, lol, mine looks like a giant and I wrote 16 for essay, 10 for creative, but it's all good. In the end, the markers will be able to tell if you wrote a good essay or not.

gottman

HSC
Essay: 60 pages
Creative: 50 pages (not including my borders and illustration)

total: 110 pages of writing bliss

I probably wrote close to 12,000 words and still had 20 minutes left to spare.
I went through 5 pens and had to use my minature math pencil to finish.

I also took the liberty to include a small contents page so my marker could find his/her way through with ease.

I also included a small glossay, defining all difficult terms and concepts.

Furthermore I managed to bind my pages and add a blurb to the back.

Beat that bitches!

Chrispy

vote for dtp = <3
HSC
10 for essay, 8 for creative. Soooo happy. I wrote 5 pages for my trial essay and got 20/25, and this was a much better attempt overall.

Length is not indicative of quality, but it helps.

Ghazi

Ghazi
HSC
gottman said:

I also took the liberty to include a small contents page so my marker could find his/her way through with ease.

Beat that bitches!

Hahaha!:rofl:

Nice to see someone enter this heated debate with total whimsy!
(Or total BS, I'm not sure which)

JJPH

HSC
crime fiction

essay: 34 pages

creative: 36 pages

fully pwned it mate :)

btw: neone notice trend that this yr all exams have been easier than previous?

watch out eco, sor n chem...major pwnage is awaiting

mithu

HSC
he he. how fitting. HSC: the new launchpad for a writing breakthrough. well, guess we have just found a possible use of the HSC in real life...don't get your hopes up though.

urgay

HSC
i did 26 for essay and 21 for creative, not bad not bad

LISOC

HSC
p342i, go binge on a box of mars bars then compare it to the experience of eating a 5 piece box of lindt lindors.

QUALITY.

QUALITY.

QUALITY.

hence thus therefore and futhermore, regardless of quantity, quality is soley the most important factor. you display an incredulity towards ALL shorter responses whilst admitting that many of the longer responses do indeed consist of 'filler'. there is no way that you can determine that length consistently delivers better marks. how DARE you accuse those who simply disagree with your point of view as being deluded and guilty of 'jealousy and lies'.

your response does not exhibit linearity and in many ways, is an elaboration of what i previously mentioned. i do not in any way taint the importance of length, i instead choose to realise that quality- regardless of length, is the most important factor in marking a response. passing judgements on length is impossible as it essentially boils down to the quality of the essay, whether it be 10 or 20 pages as to the determining of what mark it will recieve.

no matter how much you stress the ability of length to add textual analysis and depth; the marking criteria is written to determine the level of QUALITY.

mhmm lindt lindors.....

urgay

HSC
LISOC CAN put a lindt chocolate up his arse, y write like a wanker when ur not in an exam anymore

astonvillan89

HSC
Hmm, a bit like the pot calling the kettle black don't you think?

We are supposed to live in a democratic society, with free speech. Thus everyone is entitled to their opinion and their ability to voice it. It goes without saying that in such a situation, not everyone will agree, and disagreements do arise. But while one is free to argue their point, others should be free to argue against them.

This is one of the points behind forums. People come here to discuss, to question, to challenge other viewpoints, and hopefully from it, we all learn something. Learning is an ongoing process, and sure if you want to forget about it all do so. But the exam isn't the end line. That completely defeats the purpose to an education if you just drop your bags having done the exam. But it's your choice, and I won't stop you. But I won't stop other people wanting to further it, or discuss issues surrounding it, because I don't have the right, and neither do you. If it bothers you, leave. But this forum is open for debate. People are completely naive if they come here not expecting their opinion to be challenged.

Personally, I stand by LISOC -- I agree with her line of argument, one, which for the record, SHE puts forward in a relatively eloquent, polite and diplomatic manner.

Everyone's opinion is valid, but if you're going to just going to turn around and come off with an immature comment about shoving Lindts up peoples' backsides, well, I hope you had fun. Because I don't think you're thesis, when argued like that, stands on any firm ground.

But that's just my opinion. Just like yours is yours. And not everyone will agree to either of us.

NightShadow

HSC
quality doesn't matter if you dont have enough points to give you the marks..you might get full marks for the points you've raised, but you simply dont have enough support and points to get you 25

p342i

HSC
NightShadow said:
quality doesn't matter if you dont have enough points to give you the marks..you might get full marks for the points you've raised, but you simply dont have enough support and points to get you 25
IS THIS NOT WHAT I HAVE BEEN SAYING ALL ALONG?

Foremost of all, Quality is the best. But beyond two quality answers, quantity will prevail as the leading response.

The fact is everyone writes as much as they can in the two hours. For some they can only get 10 pages out, others 20, and apparently others make it to 30+

My only criticsm of smaller answers is that they may not be able to back up their quality arguments with enough evidence and textual analysis. Therefore I would be in favour of a longer, well structured and written response, rich in textual analysis. I feel that larger responses have if anything, an advantage in that.

To criticse people for writing alot can only be a sign of inadequacy - its not as if you would be writing less if you could actually make the length. Everyone wants to write as much as possible that much is certain. The argument here is between those who can, and those who can't make that length.

slash013sxe

HSC
gottman said:

Beat that bitches!
hmmmm not a bad start, certainly, but i'm not sure that'll do it. personally i wrapped up the 60 page essay in about 9 minutes, which was unfortunately a bit behind schedule, allowing me to really kick into the creative.

I had actually contracted a local pen factory to churn out pens constantly for me over the course of the day and deliver them one by one by hand, ensuring that no math-pencils were required.

Having completed it in a total of 97 pages, i frankly got a bit bored so rewrote 'War and Peace' in the original Russian and tacked it onto the back just for kicks. I then sent off a letter to a few renowned contemporary authors requesting that they might perhaps write a foreword, and the reply from DBC Pierre arrived just in time for me to rewrite it at the beginning.

I wrapped up the exam by leather binding the complete response and embossing the title in copperplate writing with a bit of gold leaf to finish the effect nicely. I tell you what, slaughtering the cow in the exam room and skinning it was a hassle, and messy!! Advice for future years - bring in pre-skinned leather.

Remember, i'm not in anyway attempting to use this forum to boast or inflate my ego somehow - i just thought you'd all like to know. Best of luck everyone!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)