How Many Pages Did You Write? (1 Viewer)

p342i

HSC
yummdogg said:
Hahaha, easy on mate. It's good to know you have your future planned, don't get too cocky though.

Yeh, it's awesome how some people can write that much...must take a lot of practice. I managed 16pgs for my creative and 13 for the essay (writing was much tighter in the essay) and it's the most I've done this year in timed conditions.

I don't think 40+pgs is impossible...my mate sitting behind me had about 5-6 8 page booklets filled up. Good on you if you can write that much! I just think markers who let their initial impressions (i.e. number of writing booklets) influence the way they mark are ignorant. But ultimately the quality of the response should win out.
Here here. Quantity in terms of booklets or pages or anything is insignificant as compared to the quality of your response - with quality coming adequate textual analyis and articulation to support your points.

I think this is all riddiculous now, I set out saying that page numbers was largely irrelevant considering writing size and formatting. But here we are arguing over something that is both stupid and pointless.

I apologise to anyone who was offended by what I said; and I think that everyone who wrote a good* response regardless of length will be rewarded. I finish on Tuesday so I don't want any feelings of animosity to ruin this very exciting time in our lives.

Good luck to everyone in all that they have done so far; and I wish you all the best in whatever you have left.

gottman

HSC
p342i said:
Here's a profession you might want to consider as a grunt in the Army - I'm sure it will suit your violent personality:

http://www.defence.gov.au/Army/

I'll be working for a Top 6 law firm within the next 5 years, a partner in the next 10 and a gold collar worker for the Magic Circle in 15. I'm going to get no where in life?

You certainly do lack tact p342i, but you also lack rudimentary respect. Ridiculing the effort of Australian soldiers whom you so callously refer to as 'grunts', generalising them as 'violent' is no way to degrade others who chastise you for being a wanker, because that is exactly what you are.

You seem to be quite able to blow lots of hot air, predicting your future, contrasting a 'gold collar job' against the grunts of the army. But humility and respect is what sees the majority of Australian soldiers develop character and moral fibre, of which you have none. Your self-aggrandisement impresses no-one, while your lack of respect offends many.

p342i

HSC
gottman said:
You certainly do lack tact p342i, but you also lack rudimentary respect. Ridiculing the effort of Australian soldiers whom you so callously refer to as 'grunts', generalising them as 'violent' is no way to degrade others who chastise you for being a wanker, because that is exactly what you are.

You seem to be quite able to blow lots of hot air, predicting your future, contrasting a 'gold collar job' against the grunts of the army. But humility and respect is what sees the majority of Australian soldiers develop character and moral fibre, of which you have none. Your self-aggrandisement impresses no-one, while your lack of respect offends many.
I believe 'grunts' is the correct terminology to refer to a low-ranked Army soldier; ie. a 'Private'. I used the term to distinguish between being a soldier, and being an officer; ie: normal enrolement as compared to ADFA.

I wasn't saying that the soldiers were violent, rather that "Tanker" was for saying they would like to slap me, and that a job in the army would be able to accomodate that violence simply through the inherent nature of the profession [which can undoubtely involve violence]

Also, do you think I care if you think I'm a wanker. Its not a definitive description of someone, just a way to say 'I don't like you' - and if so, then good for you.

I outlining my future I was defending against "Tanker's" claim that I would get no where in life with that attitude - I wasn't comparing to any other career in an attempt to prove I am better. There are way to many lawyers in the world as it is, so why would I promote it to people as a better career?

Oh, and you're statement about moral fiber? How would you know what soldeirs are acutally like, generalising like a particular profession consisits entire of pinnicles of morality and character. You are so full of shit, and you dare make a judgement on whether I have morals? You don't even know me, and I do have morals, many of them as accords to my own personal philosophy.

Anyway, if you had read my post afore you would have realised that this stupid argument in this forum is over.

BTW Gottman: do you have any idea of the kind of bastardisation that goes on in the RMCA. I have a cousin who enlisted, and although he wasn't a taget himself. He told me what went on. Considering the hype that has recently been in the media, I would have thought that you would have had the sense to not make a riddiculous defence of the army. Rape of women, 12 times as many suicides in the army as to the air-force, lowering of standards. They really are the paramount of moral fiber and character.

Last edited:

MARK01

HSC
There was an example high range essay answer our teacher gave us for 2004's paper and that was 11 pages...so it really is about the quality of your writing: How you structure your essay according to the question, the ideas you express, how well you write, etc.

The example I'm talking about didn't really maintain a high level of expression throughout the essay, but they structured it to address the question accurately and succunctly, and that got them the marks.

Last edited:

JayJay07

HSC
I think I started this whole Pages debate in this thread from my comment lol ... I was just pointing out that the markers notes DID say (I forget which year though) that a 8-10 page quality essay, was better than a 20+ page one with a lot of filler. (They were the exact numbers they gave)

crimsonking

HSC
How about you both ease the fuck up and start this arguement all over again when you get your marks back.

LISOC

HSC
man, this thread is going out of control. i do appreciate those who agree with me although most of what p342i is now saying is almost in complete agreement with my initial argument.

however, i don't believe that a reference to the australian army in a way which represents uninhibited outbursts of 'violence' is correct nor is it respectful.

i have 3 generations of members of the australian army in my family. my great-grandfather fought in france during WWI, my grandfather was an intelligence lieutenant in new guinea during WWII and my father was a 'grunt' i.e. private who served in Vietnam as a front-line troop. i happen to be very reserved in my opinions of soldiers, particularly privates and the importance of their role within the australian army. it's a very tentative subject that flippant remarks should not be made upon.

p342i

HSC
JayJay07 said:
I think I started this whole Pages debate in this thread from my comment lol ... I was just pointing out that the markers notes DID say (I forget which year though) that a 8-10 page quality essay, was better than a 20+ page one with a lot of filler. (They were the exact numbers they gave)
I agree with you; a 10 page quality essay is better than a 20+ one with filler.
Accordingly; a 20 page quality essay with no filler is better than a 10 page quality essay.

Which is what I have been saying all along, LISOC is now realising that almost everyone here says quality is better than quantity. However some, such as myself perceive that a quality answer amounts to not just insightful and relevant concepts, but also a good amount of textual analysis to support these; hence why I personally feel that for me, 20 pages was a good number.

crimsonking said:
How about you both ease the fuck up and start this arguement all over again when you get your marks back.
I couldn't have put it better myself.

p342i

HSC
CONGRATULATIONS EVERYBODY!!!

Due to the contrevesy in this Forum, the heated arguments and all, we have just surpassed the "What Did You Think" Thread in hits.

sarzie89

HSC
30 for the essay. 16 for the creative... :S i always write so much. i have big writing too..

scaredofstudies

HSC
4 pages creative
6 and a bit essay... and i didnt finish my essay.

Yeah fuck it all, i dont work well under pressure.

I know my attempt is shameful, but 60 pages, thats just insane, pure bullshit. But hey good on you. How do you have the time to articulate what you are writing?

RE: to someone who took the piss out of that other dude by saying he skinned a cow in the examination and had time to re-write war and peace in russian. That was one top call mate, still laughing my arse off ! ! Cheers

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)