How many pages should I write? (1 Viewer)

sammi260

President of the World
HSC
Everytime I write an essay my teacher's comment is always to write at least 2 more pages. I average about three pages an essay and my writing is fairly small. Approximately how many pages does everyone else write?

yosemite sam

HSC
if its an in-clas sor exam essay, you should aim for about 5-7. that being said, quality comes into it as well. theres no point waffling for 2 pages just so you can say that you wrote that much. i usually do 4-7 for a modern essay.

Kujah

HSC
N/A
sammi260 said:
Everytime I write an essay my teacher's comment is always to write at least 2 more pages. I average about three pages an essay and my writing is fairly small. Approximately how many pages does everyone else write?
How many words do you cram into one line? 15-20? That might mean that you'd write your essay much shorter, and I think that's the problem I'm facing atm. I write so small, and I'm only managing 4 pages at least under exam conditions. I might start writing bigger and try cursive writing.

sammi260

President of the World
HSC
lol yeah i think i might try and write bigger from now on cos my teachers too blind to realise if i started writing 10 words per line instead of 20.

el gwapo

HSC
for someone who writes approximately 10 words to a page, i write a page with 1-2 paragraphs in about 10 minutes, less if i'm in the zone. i say in a 45 minute essay aim for 4 pages. absolute minimum i reckon

treehat

HSC
WHAT!? how big are your pages lol? are they double spaced or something because on normal paper I do 2 pages max in a test and get good marks loll. It is impossible for my hand to move any faster than that..

Kujah

HSC
N/A
^2 pages won't be sufficient I think, especially if the essay was going to be in the National or Internal study. It'd be fine for the Core Study, where you are given an allocated 2 pages.

HSC
At least 5 pages
in order for your essay to be comprehensive and sustained

sydneyphoenix

HSC
N/A
I remember writing at least 25 pages for Section II and Section III combined in my HSC as well as writing to the last lines and beyond for questions in Section I.

williamc

HSC
In the HSC exam, ive been told: (bearing in mind 2 HSC booklet page is approx 1 an a4 page)

Core study: could get full marks filling up what you've been given, but the BEST responses go further.
National study: can get full marks with around 8-10 pages.
Personality study: 3-4 pages for the 10 marker, and 5-6 pages for the 15 marker.
International conflict and peace study: 8-10 pages.

(so divide by 2 if you are using a4 pages)

Last edited:

kloudsurfer

HSC
williamc said:
In the HSC exam, ive been told: (bearing in mind 2 HSC booklet page is approx 1 an a4 page)

Core study: could get full marks filling up what you've been given, but the BEST responses go further.
National study: can get full marks with around 8-10 pages.
Personality study: 3-4 pages for the 10 marker, and 5-6 pages for the 15 marker.
International conflict and peace study: 8-10 pages.

(so divide by 2 if you are using a4 pages)
Quality over quantity mate. You can get 'full marks' and write fewer pages.

I for one usually write 7 HSC booklet pages per section and manage to get 24s. Ive got pretty big writing too.

looie

HSC
In my trials I wrote 19 pages all up for Section II and III. I was pretty happy with that. My hand was killing me though. I averaged about 5-7. This felt like a sufficient amount for me to show my knowledge and answer the question in a fairly succinct manner.

williamc

HSC
kloudsurfer said:
Quality over quantity mate. You can get 'full marks' and write fewer pages.

I for one usually write 7 HSC booklet pages per section and manage to get 24s. Ive got pretty big writing too.
It might not be marked at HSC standard.

You need to go into depth to get the high range marks, or full marks.

"Cem" a history HSC marker will clarify.

Edit:

cem said:
Point one - the quality is more important than the quantity but... if you aren't sure a good guide is:

WWI - you can get full marks using only the given pages but most of the top responses will write an extra page or so for each of the 10 mark questions.

Personalities - top marks needs about 4 pages for the describe section and about 6 for the second section

Essays (both National and Internationa Studies) you should be looking at 8 - 10 pages

The pages sizes I am referring to here are exam booklet pages remember.

These are a guide only and are assuming average size handwriting.

Last edited:

el gwapo

HSC
So what would be the equivalent of 1 page of HSC exam booklet page? I haven't had much experience of using exam booklet pages, when I had some in the Modern Half yearly and Trial I just wrote "see attached page" and wrote in the pad provided...

fishy89sg

HSC
ON TOPIC: i think 5 pages for a 25 mark question seems reasonable

rr.dun.dun

HSC
tanjin said:
I write 7-8 pages :D
do you mean you actually write 7-8 A4 size pages? because the equivalent to 8-7 pages for a HSC essay paper would be about 3-4 pages.. i suppose something like that

rr.dun.dun

HSC
treehat said:
WHAT!? how big are your pages lol? are they double spaced or something because on normal paper I do 2 pages max in a test and get good marks loll. It is impossible for my hand to move any faster than that..
wow! you are lucky if you can get really good marks with only writing 2 pages, its expected that you write a lot more than that.

tanjin

el oh vee eee ♥
HSC
rr.dun.dun said:
do you mean you actually write 7-8 A4 size pages? because the equivalent to 8-7 pages for a HSC essay paper would be about 3-4 pages.. i suppose something like that
A4 pages :D

I find history essays easy to write as long as you know the content really well.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)