How many quotes per essay? (1 Viewer)

SoCal

Hollywood
HSC
I am just wondering how many quotes everyone thinks is necessary in an essay. Is three fine:)?

s2ophie

HSC
well everything you say should be supported with textual evidence and that usually means quotes or paraphrasing. There is no magic number, as long as you use your quotes effectively

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
well i generally use 2 per text. it depends on the module though, king lear does not need as many quotes in my opinion. quote when you want to show techniques, don't just state what you are saying - back it up

Naji

reading the examiners notes for last years exam and in the king lear it stated that many students failed to provide enough textual reference within their essays...

nothing beats good textual reference from ur text to support the point ur making...

do not limit urself to two or three quotes... use them when u think u need support... just dont over do it...

and dont copy out slabs of quotes from a text... big no no

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
Originally posted by Naji
reading the examiners notes for last years exam and in the king lear it stated that many students failed to provide enough textual reference within their essays...
damn, lear is hard to provide reference for, it doesn't need as much

Naji

lear is full or references!! u can support almost anything with sumthing from the text

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
i find it hard to support what i am saying though. like just because there is a quote on the family doesn't mean it supports my point on the family drama

Antisocial

Originally posted by iambored
i find it hard to support what i am saying though. like just because there is a quote on the family doesn't mean it supports my point on the family drama
That's why I did chose to do take up a post-structuralist/decontructionist view on Lear. While I find there is support for feminism, Marxism, historicism, etc. I don't have enough solid evidence to be in-depth about at least two readings. :)

jaNetix

2 or 3!?
is that all you use??......
my notes r paked with quotes....i plan to use heaps..
well of course i ahvenbt actually practiced in time restrictions yet..

SoCal

Hollywood
HSC
Originally posted by jaNetix
2 or 3!?
is that all you use??......
my notes r paked with quotes....i plan to use heaps..
well of course i ahvenbt actually practiced in time restrictions yet..
I have a bad memory, OK:p.

destroyx

it's good to seem like you know lots about the text and way to do that is to use quotes. if you make lots of generalisations without supporting your statements with evidence, your arguments might seem a little weak. another way without using quotes is to paraphrase stuff using the same sort of vocabulary that is used in the text.

LadyMoon

HSC
to extend your marks even further..you want to integrate quotes into sentences...it not only makes it easier when you are studying, you wouldnt believe how far you marks will be propelled if you do so!
so now you just remeber key sentences that you are going to insert into your writing, but ALSO you have your quotes in to!
two in one.

SmokedSalmon

HSC
I heard that in each paragraph of your essay there should be at least one quote... or if you are doing a text such as king lear then probably a film/stage technique is fine as well in place of a quote. But you need more than 3 quotes in a essay... like 10 :) If not then unfortunately you lose marks.

SoCal

Hollywood
HSC
Originally posted by LadyMoon
to extend your marks even further..you want to integrate quotes into sentences...it not only makes it easier when you are studying, you wouldnt believe how far you marks will be propelled if you do so!
so now you just remeber key sentences that you are going to insert into your writing, but ALSO you have your quotes in to!
two in one.
I do try and do this as much as possible too:).

SoCal

Hollywood
HSC
Originally posted by SmokedSalmon
I heard that in each paragraph of your essay there should be at least one quote... or if you are doing a text such as king lear then probably a film/stage technique is fine as well in place of a quote. But you need more than 3 quotes in a essay... like 10 :) If not then unfortunately you lose marks.
So that means I need to remember 30 quotes:eek:!

crazylilmonkee

HSC
i study about 5 quotes for each text cos u dont know which one would fit in.. cos not all fit into what you write about

VanCarBus

~--> Quincy <--~
HSC
ma Tutor, says that 15 gets u like a pass, even if you don't answer the question.

Naji

theres no real formula... just use it to support urself... taking in 15 and writing down 15 without answering the question is pointless and u wont pass

jizmiester

i do 15 per text if thats any help... i think it's the backbone of your essay/article/speech/whatever.... you can say anything you want and it will sound good, just as long as you back it up with a quote!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)