How many related texts for crime fiction? (1 Viewer)

HSC
Hi I'm just wondering how many realted texts people are planning to use for the analytical response. I'm doing two related and two prescribed, but I've heard it good to include three related.

tennille

HSC
When I did my exam, I used two prescribed and two related.

From memory, it was Sherlock Holmes, the Bone Collector, The Real Inspector Hound and The Big Sleep.

ellejay145

HSC
I agree. I am doing two prescribed (because i am not overly fond of one of my prescribed texts, The Skull Beneath the Skin) and two related. It really does depend on your own characterisitics, the amount of information you are able to retain and the length of your essays. But if you are like the average person and cannot write a novel in an hour, then i suggest two prescribed and two related; it is better to show an in depth understanding of a smaller amount of texts, than to have simply "dot points" of alot of texts. Basically, if in writing about more than 4 texts you cannot sufficiently fulfill what the markers want, then dont do it. :wave:

blind_cat

HSC
i'm studying all three sub genre. b4, i didn't really like Real Inspector, but looking at past HSC questions, sometimes goldenage and hard boiled works well while other times hard boiled and contmeporary work well. I think its cos my trial HSC question focused on the development of CF and its overall significance which made me rethink of studying all 3 sub genres instead of 2. Hopefully the HSC will only ask for 2 presribed which means two extra related on top on each prescribed, but it feels good to have a choice. The texts i'm using incl:
RIH
Dorothy L Sayers’ novel Strong Poison
Guy Hamilton’s film The Mirror Crack’d (1980) (based on the novel by Agatha Christie)
TBS
Frances Coppola’s 1972 film The Godfather
Edna Buchanan’s novel Cold Case Squad
AG
Shizuko Natsuki’s novel The Third Lady
Mary Logue’s novel Dark Coulee
and some i might chuck in via name

riot_girl88

HSC
Tennille said:
When I did my exam, I used two prescribed and two related.

From memory, it was Sherlock Holmes, the Bone Collector, The Real Inspector Hound and The Big Sleep.
Are we allowed to use Sherlock Holmes as a Character and how he fits into the conventions without analysing one of his books?

thanks

B35tY

HSC
No, just pick a random Holmes story and analyse him in that.

ellejay145

HSC
i think you would be able to do that, but i wouldnt rely on it as a main part of your essay, because you wont be able to support yourself very well if u dont have a particular text ie to get quotes from. but if you just want to chuck him in and how his character is one of the most influential detectives of the genre, then i say go for it.
eek, exam is tomorow, goodluck everyone, lets just hope they dont pull something crazy out.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)