• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

How many related texts? (1 Viewer)

steph89

HSC
Ok. So it's getting closer to the stupid HSC, and I'm starting to actually worry and think about studying- too late, as usual.

For Journeys- I have two related texts. Technically we could be asked for three- right? How many does everyone have? Should I bother trying to look for a third? Also- stimulus material- I focus on two texts from the booklet. Should I be doing 3? Can they specify a particular one to include?

Also, for Module 3- Telling the Truth- Frontline. I have 2 related texts, and we could be asked for three. How many does everyone have? I think I'll once again gamble on not being asked for more than 2 related texts, with 2 episodes. Does anyone know if they can specify which episodes we have to talk about?

Eek.

ange310

HSC
i had a english teacher who was past her time and has now gone on stress leave, and found out about a week ago that we had to have at least 2 related texts for journeys... but i don't think they can ask for three, but it might be an idea to have a third in case it fits better. same with the stimulus, i think they only ask for one but good idea to have more.

as for frontline, yes they can specify episodes, but usually they'll say 'refer to add sex and stir and one other episode' or something like that. i think you need two additionals for that.

zingerburger

HSC
For Journeys, they won't ask for more than two. If we get lucky, we might only be asked for one. Personally, I have two. Think about it - in Journeys you have one prescribed text, one stimulus book text and usually two found texts. Thats' four texts all up to write in 40 minutes.

I don't know why you've done two texts from the booklet because they only ever ask for one. It's incredibly rare, but they could specify a booklet text. But it would most likely be the two most common - "The Road Not Taken" or "Journey to the Interior".

I don't do Telling the Truth so I don't know the specifics of that.

suzieee

HSC
i did both those topics last year (but eveyone does journeys hey?) i had heaps (like 8 lol) texts to relate to journeys and about 5 for telling the truth. it just makes it easier cos you can pick which ones relate best to the exam questions. what is the other topic?? i forget!! oh and make sure you have a few creative writing responses planned for the first paper... just vauge ideas of what you can write, so that you can pick which one works best with the question- last year the question actually made mine better! good luck guys!

steph89

HSC
Thanks ange310 and zingerburger.

Bleh, I think I'd have a heart attack in the middle of the exam if they specified either "Journey to the Interior" or "The Road Not Taken". Yuck to both of them.

steph89

HSC
Gah, 5 and 8, suzieee? I have 2, and 2. And at this point I don't think I have enough time to find more. So I guess I'll have to force them to fit the question. :|

I've got two creative writing ideas I can use, but they took me ages. I absolutely detest creative writing, and I can't be bothered to think of any more ideas. I figure I'll just have to deal with it when I sit the exam.

kloudsurfer

HSC
Isnt there a similar thread somewhere?

Anyway two is fine. You dont need any more.

By the way, you can get away with one in the AoS. Ive read a few exemplar answers that only use one. Of course, you should have 2 prepared just in case they ask, but they have only ever said 'at least one' in the HSC, never two. According to a senior teacher of mine, they generally dont ask for more than one related text because the stimulus booklet text is like another 'related text'. But its ideal to have 2 just incase.

-impactimposta-

HSC
last year in journeys i am pretty sure t hat they asked for at least two related texts PLUS one from the stimulus booklet. have at least three texts just in case.
if you look at the answers that only use one text, they have usally referenced other texts into it even though their main focus is only one.
you cant get away with one only and no reference to others because then your showing that you can research and compare other texts effectively.

so, it is alrite to use only two texts as your main focus, but also bring in reference to a third if you can.

i personally used four in my answer, two as a main focus, a third to back up the others and a fourth to combine them all and prove my point.
five min each on the last two.

kloudsurfer

HSC
-impactimposta- said:
last year in journeys i am pretty sure t hat they asked for at least two related texts PLUS one from the stimulus booklet. have at least three texts just in case.
if you look at the answers that only use one text, they have usally referenced other texts into it even though their main focus is only one.
you cant get away with one only and no reference to others because then your showing that you can research and compare other texts effectively.

so, it is alrite to use only two texts as your main focus, but also bring in reference to a third if you can.

i personally used four in my answer, two as a main focus, a third to back up the others and a fourth to combine them all and prove my point.
five min each on the last two.
Last years journeys they asked for at least one. Just checked.

And I have read exemplar answers that have only one related text without referencing any others. Though they did have a very good analysis of that one text.

Personally I think its better to do one or two to ensure that you cover them in depth, rather than just skimming over lots of them.

It also depends on how much you can write too. If your one of those people who struggle to fill a booklet, its better to do one in depth than write very little about two. If you can write a lot, go ahead and do multiple related texts.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)