• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

How many related texts? (1 Viewer)

ashllis92

HSC
but arent you expected to compose a smooth, flowing argument with at least some level of sophistication? trimming an essay excessively to the point where its technique after technique with little discussion doesn't seem right to me
I didn't mean to trim it to the point where it's just here are the techniques in the text... I just meant to trim whatever parts of the essay aren't directly contributing to your arguments because writing that is wasting precious exam time you could be spending earning marks. Of course it still needs to flow logically and smoothly but it doesn't need to be overly descriptive or explanatory ie. the marker will know what stichomythia in a play is so you don't need to explain it but if you were writing the essay for a more general audience you would need to explain ...

lychnobity

HSC
I didn't mean to trim it to the point where it's just here are the techniques in the text... I just meant to trim whatever parts of the essay aren't directly contributing to your arguments because writing that is wasting precious exam time you could be spending earning marks. Of course it still needs to flow logically and smoothly but it doesn't need to be overly descriptive or explanatory ie. the marker will know what stichomythia in a play is so you don't need to explain it but if you were writing the essay for a more general audience you would need to explain ...
so say a part of an essay is spent emphasising one of your arguments, would you cut it out?

ashllis92

HSC
so say a part of an essay is spent emphasising one of your arguments, would you cut it out?
nope because emphasising an argument is earning you marks but dont feel the need to emphasise with 3 examples because thats just flogging a dead horse...

lychnobity

HSC
nope because emphasising an argument is earning you marks but dont feel the need to emphasise with 3 examples because thats just flogging a dead horse...
lol, so when you did your belonging essay (the one with 7 texts), how many examples did you use for each one?

I can't comprehend it

hermand

je t'aime.
HSC
When I say succinct I mean if anything isn't 100% making your point, don't write it! I don't introduce texts like In X text, X speaks about X. This can tell us X. I just write X text uses X technique to tell X. My essays are 1200+ though... just look at one of your essays, chances are theres a fair bit of fat there which isn't directly earning you marks just making it sound a bit nicer. Don't introduce the text, your audience is a hsc marker who would know the texts backwards and doesn't need to be told.
Keep going through your essay and trimming fat, then you find yourself another X number of words for another text and stuff...
haha. i can barely write 800 words in an exam. so there's no trimming needed. it's borderline skeletal.

ashllis92

HSC
Wow, it must be fairly thin for only 800 words. Still you have a week, just practise like a freak for a week and you might get that up 100 or 200 words...1000 words is achievable im sure

ashllis92

HSC
lol, so when you did your belonging essay (the one with 7 texts), how many examples did you use for each one?

I can't comprehend it
For prescribed 2 or 3 and for related 1 or 2... I don't go into much detail for my related because i figure if they wanted heaps of detail they wouldve been prescribed just enough to reinforce the point... I don't structure my essays based on text but based on themes, arguments, motifs etc...

I just counted the words in a belonging essay, it was 1358 so i do write a lot...

Michaelmoo

cbff...
HSC
LOL, not for us folk doing poems. Standard no. poems is 3, and at least 2 related on top of that...it's an absolute mission to sort out the best parts. I think discussing 6 texts would be stretching it ...

But, if I had a lovely book or film as my prescribed, would definitely go for 3 related.
Hmmm is it 3? I did 2 poems + 2 related in my trial and still managed to get a 15. Although in one sentence, I did make reference to a 3rd. Would it be worthwhile talking bout 3 in the HSC?

hermand

je t'aime.
HSC
Wow, it must be fairly thin for only 800 words. Still you have a week, just practise like a freak for a week and you might get that up 100 or 200 words...1000 words is achievable im sure
i can't physically write any faster.

i have really small writing. so i usually get three pages in. one of my modules essays was a page and a half in my trial though. i just can't write any faster. it's impossible.

lychnobity

HSC
Hmmm is it 3? I did 2 poems + 2 related in my trial and still managed to get a 15. Although in one sentence, I did make reference to a 3rd. Would it be worthwhile talking bout 3 in the HSC?
Depends, I meant 3 as in you'd have to be prepared to write 3. I write 2.

Could be worthwhile talking about a 3rd though, but it'd be pointless if you can't do it thoroughly and in detail.

Here's hoping they don't specify a poem this year...

mesbaz

HSC
N/A
dont know if i missed it. i didnt read the whole tread. but usually the question asks for ' at least one other text of your choosing ' or something along those lines, but it usually says ' at least one other '

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)