how many times shud i read it??? (1 Viewer)

elizabethy

I'm the best !!
HSC
hey cud ne 1 tell me how many times shud i read
emma and king lear???

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
at least twice ... once to understand what is going on ... and the twice to analyse it and make notes relating to module ...

McLake

The Perfect Nerd
HSC
Originally posted by flyin'
at least twice ... once to understand what is going on ... and the twice to analyse it and make notes relating to module ...
and a third time before the HSC ...

B

Bambul

The only text that I actually read *once* was 1984 (besides the changing booklet and Skrzyneski poems which were really short).

elizabethy

I'm the best !!
HSC
Originally posted by -=MLhtʻ=-
hehe
i only read everything once, i didnt even read king lear, juz watched movie.
how much did ya score in ur hsc????

McLake

The Perfect Nerd
HSC
Originally posted by t-i-m-m-y
hey shouldn't we be reading them as many times as possible before losing our sanity?
That's about right. If your as mad as King Lear by the end you have probably read it enough ...

McLake

The Perfect Nerd
HSC

yeah thanx for the advice i'm doing hamlet he ends up dead.. if i end up dead i've read it enough??
Oh yeah,I forgot that class of '03 is doing Hamlet in place of Lear, lucky bastards.

I think it's more a case of if you have killed anyone ...

McLake

The Perfect Nerd
HSC

kekkee rite

i think ppl r still doing lear.. in 03 but i feel sorry for 04 total overhaul of syllabus:p
Oh, that's right, '03 is still our "new" syllubus, it's '04 that is the "newer" syllubus that replaces Lear with Hamlet.

So what topic are you studing Hamlet under?

McLake

The Perfect Nerd
HSC

hamlet is under the module called transformations and submodule or something another heading called "texts and contexts" eh .. all no good:D
That's right, you study it with the Tom Stoppard play "RAGAD". Far better than BNW & BR ...

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
In my HSC exam, I abbreviated it to "R+G are dead" and "Ros and Guil"

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
Originally posted by Rahul

is it alrite if we do that?
It's alrite as long as u give the full title at the beginning, with the shorthand in brackets

eg, in my essay it was something like:
'...Shakespeare's tragedy "Hamlet" was transformed in the contemporary "Rosencrantz and Gulidenstern are dead" (R+G are dead), where Rosencrantz and Guildenstern (Ros and Guil)....'
then after that, u can henceforth refer to them as the shorthand

zannaz

Deloused
HSC
Originally posted by elizabethy
hey cud ne 1 tell me how many times shud i read
emma and king lear???
More than once. The first time to just get to know the story line and then a second to further analyse, take down quotes stuff like that. But it can can very dull reading emma. I only read in once and three quarters the second time.

King Lear is much easier and shorter. So reading it twice or more, shouldn't be as hard as reading emma!!!;)

anti

aww.. baby raccoon ^^
HSC
I only read the texts in their entirety once.. I don't think I finished some of them.

Generally you're looking for bits to focus on rather than knowing the whole text inside out, anyway.

anti

aww.. baby raccoon ^^
HSC
I didn't touch a study guide :p
I hear they're kind of broad.. well, they're only what, 90 pages?

Essentially I think study guides are useful for brief overviews of characters, perhaps some context, and the storyline. If you want to go into more detail that's what you do in class or by making notes from the text itself.

zannaz

Deloused
HSC
Study guides are sometimes too simplistic without going into any deatil. Its more of a general overview. Some are good and more useful than other. I would recommend using it as a last minute revision but don't rely on it too much!!!!

hgpstar

get the CD and listen to hamlet, and read along in your book - SOOO much easier, you get through it heaps more times, and plus, the people reading it know, somehow, what shakespeare meant, so they can put the emphasis on the right things, and you understand it better.

oh, and DONT watch the R&G movie - its complete crap...i had enough trouble working out what was happening in that damn play the first time i read it, and that movie just made it worse! just read it again...and again...and again...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)