How many units do you do? Anyone do 14+? (1 Viewer)

K

Kozak92

Backups do not exist in the HSC. Year 11s don't be fooled by this! If you want to focus and do best in 10 units, do it! In the end only 10 units will count!

11 units is best, you still have to try for every subject because they all count - but you also have 1 unit to fall back on.

10 units - you have no back up

12 units - extra 2units work, 1 subject won't count

14 units - extra 4 units of work, 2 subjects won't count, you must have very good time management

16 units - don't bother
What backup bro? You have to focus hard on every subject! You can't fall back on a subject because if one subject isn't going so well you shouldn't be doing it in the first place so your other subjects can then have maximum priority!

Last edited by a moderator:

iRuler

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
Backups do not exist in the HSC. Year 11s don't be fooled by this! If you want to focus and do best in 10 units, do it! In the end only 10 units will count!
Bad advice, its good to have backups unless you're 100% confident.

Just in case you screw up an exam on the HSC day for lets say Biology, and you're doing 10 units, you're dead, if you have something else to back it up, its better (Only if you're doing ok at everything in school that is).

K

Kozak92

Bad advice, its good to have backups unless you're 100% confident.

Just in case you screw up an exam on the HSC day for lets say Biology, and you're doing 10 units, you're dead, if you have something else to back it up, its better (Only if you're doing ok at everything in school that is).
If you're screwing up exams on the HSC day then you obviously weren't ready for that subject and shouldn't have been doing it in the first place.. The only proper reason you could possibly screw up an exam accidentally is if you're sick, which in this case you shouldn't even be sitting it that day, or are late, which is frankly, your own fault.

x jiim

zimbardooo.
HSC
Uni Grad
If you're screwing up exams on the HSC day then you obviously weren't ready for that subject and shouldn't have been doing it in the first place.. The only proper reason you could possibly screw up an exam accidentally is if you're sick, which in this case you shouldn't even be sitting it that day, or are late, which is frankly, your own fault.
Not necessarily. If you were stressing out about them, it would be pretty easily to majorly freak out and stuff up an exam if they threw you an off question/paper, like in english aos or sor last year.

yups

HSC
Well heard some people are doing - or someone is doing 16 units, and another person was doing or still is doing 20 units so... wtf.

Generally do smart people (people with high UAI) do around 1o-11 units? Whilst the people who are going to fail do like 25 units?
what the hell .. well the people that i personally know who have done really well in the HSC mostly did 10 or 11 units

iRuler

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
how is french ext, german ext, latin ext and english ext 16?
i thought it was 12
I didnt add another 4units worth of subjects to my sig.

Lets see if you can guess them :hammer:

yups

HSC
I didnt add another 4units worth of subjects to my sig.

Lets see if you can guess them :hammer:
japanese ext. and chinese ext. ?:p
honestly though, i'm amazed you're doing 4 extensions. good on you :)

K

Kozak92

Find Table A7, it shows the relationship between No. of Units completed, and UAI/ATAR received.

Of the students who got 100 in 2008, 22% did more than 14, and 66% did more than 13 (87% did more than 10 units). Of those who received 99-100, 87% did more than 10 units.
In those figures did it show how many of those people considered their extra units a "backup"?

These people that get 99-100UAI with those extra units aren't doing it as backups, they're doing it because they know they will focus on each and every subject equally and can handle the extra stress.

K

Kozak92

I love it how you know exactly what those students were thinking. You must be incredibly psychic.
You neg. repped me for suggesting you mentioned backups yet I did not suggest you mentioned backups at all. I was merely asking a question that suited this threads consensus on extra units.

Thanks for understanding though.

HSC
Everyone knows what they can handle. I'm doing 11 units, because I hated Legal Studies and picked up extension 2. Three people I know were doing 13 units; one of them now does 11 because their other subjects were being sacrificed. Some people do 10 and ace 10 units. Everyone's different.

johNNyboy772

HSC
14+ - that's only done by accleerated students who've already done at least 2 units in their year 11 and feel like doing 12 units again in year 12

no1 in their right minds would do 14 units in thier year 12

x jiim

zimbardooo.
HSC
Uni Grad
14+ - that's only done by accleerated students who've already done at least 2 units in their year 11 and feel like doing 12 units again in year 12

no1 in their right minds would do 14 units in thier year 12
Sorry dearie, I'm doing all 14 in yr12. Then again, my sanity is questionable =\

LateForTea

HSC
12 units.
almost 4 major works - that is, if you count IP & GP in Drama as separate MW.
Kill me.
Actually, it's not that bad, really. I just need to work out how to organise it all. :uhoh:

lucyc19

HSC
Hi everyone,
I really need some advice on this:

I'm doing 14 units (year 11):
- extension english
- extension maths
- german
- modern history
- legal studies
- physics

I'm only doing 3U maths this year so I can do better in 2U next year, but I'm a pretty good all-rounder and did really well in the School Cert. My best subjects are history, english and german, but most of my marks were over 95 anyway. :shy:

It's between physics and legal studies ... I know physics scales better, but with that in mind, I'll be at the bottom of the class, whereas I'm likely to do much better in Legal Studies.

I'm pretty sure I want to go into Media and Communications/Arts/Law or a combination of two of the three. I know physics doesn't lead towards those, but then I don't know if it's wise to drop all science ... I could change my mind but I doubt it.

I would really like a high ATAR (as in over 98) and think it's possible for me ... what would you recommend I drop?

(Please only reply if you have at least a vague idea what you're talking about because I'm confused enough already.)

It would be good if you could send me a direct message reply or whatever it is so I get a notification by email.

Thanks!!! :cake:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)