• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

How many units? (1 Viewer)

How many units?

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 13 40.6%

Votes: 4 12.5%

Votes: 4 12.5%

Votes: 7 21.9%

Votes: 3 9.4%
  • 14+

Votes: 1 3.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

mazza_728

Manda xoxo
HSC
Hey guys,
Ive got :
Adv english
2 unit maths
physics
chemistry
legal studies
music
3 unit maths
and im considering picking up 4 unit maths for the HSC
that means 14 units! has anyone taken 14 units into year 12? How did u cope? I would drop a subject but i really enjoy all my subjects and i go relatively well in all of them (i dont know about physics or chemistry yet becuase i havent got my yearlies back) between 85-90% whats ur opinion?

jm1234567890

Premium Member
HSC
drop music or legal studies
4units maths needs alot of work
I accelerated in 6 units and still found it heaps of work

LaZy_KoReAn

DrunkenMC
HSC
Originally posted by jm1234567890
drop music or legal studies
4units maths needs alot of work
I accelerated in 6 units and still found it heaps of work
i agree, drop music not legal, if you can cope legal well

crazylilmonkee

HSC
no point doin 14 wen only 10 count, u can spend more time concentrating on just 10-11 units instead of all 14.. i do 13 but only 11 count and the other course was just an O VET one that i've finished

Huy

HSC
N/A
I do 14, and my marks are "good" IMO (well, they arent spectacular in my opinion, but they can be a lot better, of course ;))

It's true what crazylilmonkee said, "why do 14? when only 10 count".

I just did it because that's who i am, i like to have a broad/general/whole knowledge, than specific knowledge. (and of course, i like to put myself under pressure and see how i cope, how to manage stress levels, extend myself, etc).

:)

kow_dude

HSC
Originally posted by crazylilmonkee
no point doin 14 wen only 10 count, u can spend more time concentrating on just 10-11 units instead of all 14..
Yes i agree. This is why i choose to do 10 units so i can concentrate on my weaker subject/s. I found doin 12 units would be riskier since that would mean 20% more work.

picaresque

HSC
I'm starting 13 next term, have been doing 14 for prelim year (with one accerlerated course) and hopefully will be accepted into a distinction course boosting me to 15.

Whilst I might be forced to drop some units due to fatigue, I have to say that I'm doing these subjects because I want to. (well, it's only four school subjects - the minimum amount. i'm just taking a lot of extensions). I'm aware that I am doing more than enough for the 10 units required for the UAI, but I see my education as just that - an education to learn things that I'm interested in/challenged by. I'm not just in school to get a kick-ass UAI and then promptly forget everything I've learnt - the HSC is not the be all and end all, so obviously, I don't care to dedicate my life to getting high marks (although that is one by-product I'm interested in) with minimal effort.

Or, maybe I'm just crazy.

kimmeh

Sleeping
HSC
i'm going to do 12..
i've got:
phys
chem
bio
adv enlg
4 unit maths

i wanna drop to 10 units.. but if i drop.. i'm most likely to drop either bio or phys..
i dun wanna drop bio coz i love it :)
and i dun wanna drop phys.. coz i'm a maths person :cold:

i wonder which units will end up be counted ... except for english :chainsaw:

tash

lalalala
HSC
Originally posted by LaZy_KoReAn
i agree, drop music not legal, if you can cope legal well
don't drop music it's the bomb! i found that it was a really good way to escape the stress of the hsc, if you don't mind putting in the amount of practice you need. so that'd take up a bit of time which might make 14 units a bit hectic esp with 4unit maths.
i say just try it and see how you go and if it's too crazy then drop whatever's your worst subject or whichever you hate first.

MissSavage29

Resident Priss
HSC
I'm going in with only 11 units and i'm a little worried about that - but i'm doing all the subjects i love so i dont think there would be a problem...
I think if u do what u like then it doesn't matter how many units u have

mazza_728

Manda xoxo
HSC
Im not considering dropping music. Music is my RELAX subject- theres no pressure, i normally do music out of school, just completed my CMUS (2nd highest level) so id have to practice and do work anyhow so why not let it go towards my HSC? im pretty good (well i think so anyway) and yeah its a relax subject. All my other subjects i love, except for maybe physics and chemistry but i cant decide which one i like more -- the only reason i dont like them is because of my teacher :chainsaw: he's crap! i think i can handle 14 units im a pretty diligent student and i like challenging myself. I doubt ill keep 4 unit maths anyway, i think i will give up on it but yeah i think ill just see how i go. thanks for all ur help xoxo

Skywalker

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by Huy
It's true what crazylilmonkee said, "why do 14? when only 10 count".
All-rounders mate. If you care about that sort of thing...

Huy

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by Skywalker
All-rounders mate. If you care about that sort of thing...
Yeah, but you could still be an all-rounder with only 10 units, assuming you top every subject (Band 6) and receive a great UAI.

You'd still be getting 90+ in 10 units or more, so Premier's Award, here they go ;)

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
u can try but 14 with 4 u maths is a LOT of work

Skywalker

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by Huy
Yeah, but you could still be an all-rounder with only 10 units, assuming you top every subject (Band 6) and receive a great UAI.
Yes of course you could, I'm just saying that with 14 units you'd probably increase your chances of getting it, especially if you did a VET course like accounting. Also, you wouldn't need to get > 90 in english which i reckon is the killer subject.

Last edited:

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
People with 4 unit maths shouldn't be doing more than 12 units, let alone 14. Not only is it a pile of work (which doesn't sound so bad) but it is also VERY mentally taxing. You should only consider it if you have a love of maths itself, rather than for marks and/or scaling reasons. As for music vs legal...music is more work, harder course, but scales better. It's also far more relaxing as a subject, very important for the HSC. Legal is (in my opinion) a waste of two units. If you intend on going to uni then legal just isn't worth it, you could do so many other, better subjects in those 200 hours.

mazza_728

Manda xoxo
HSC
Thankyou lexicographer! I know that legal is a waste of time especiially if you want to do law in uni because its totally different! but i get good marks in it and i greatly enjoy it, plus its my only real theory based subject and i can write heaps and heaps. I think ill have a talk to my year advicer - i really dont think ill be able to keep 4 unit maths, im not sure what it involves and so it will probably come as a real shock to me and i think ill end up dropping it. but i think ill just see how i go?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)