how many... (1 Viewer)

ssejamafone

Ninja?
HSC
N/A
how many people who do psychology in Uni actually end up becoming registered psychologists?

Because, i'm thinking of doing psychology, and then becoming a practising 'psychologist' and not a social worker, or councillor, etc. But i've heard that not too many people become actual 'psychologists' when they finish uni.

PC

HSC
N/A
I did Psychology at Uni.

Now I work for a Rugby League club.

liverpool3k

Banned
HSC
Thus, 0% of people who study psychology go to work as psychologists.

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
It is because the process is so competitive (I think). Having to do Honours onwards, where the number of people is severely limited.

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
redruM said:
not many, if any.
How many dudes you know got the skills to go and rock a show like this?
Uh-uh, uh-uh, I don't know anybody...

redruM

Breathe and Stop
HSC
AsyLum said:
How many dudes you know got the skills to go and rock a show like this?
Uh-uh, uh-uh, I don't know anybody...
:uhhuh:

Season

HSC
Well see this is how it works at ANU

Oh and I'm assuming you mean clinical psychologist... ie working with people as appose to research

you do your basic 3 year undergrad psych... you leave- you arne't a clinical psychologist, then you have to gain entry into an honours year. It is compeitive entry, about 50 places and about 200 applicants. Then once you have done your honours you go on into the clinical pysch program (Masters) once you've done that you can be registered as a psychologist.

So getting into psych doesn't mean that you'll be a psychologist... its just the first step towards it.

Not all unis say that honours is complusary but across the board you must have at least 5 years of studying before you can be registered... at least. You cannot be registered as a clinical psychologist with only a 3 year bachelor degree. Which I think is fair enough...

ssejamafone

Ninja?
HSC
N/A
oh ok. Thanks for the replies :)

And, what if i want to become a research psychologist as opposed to clinical? Because, i guess that i've always been interested in the research side of psychology and studying human behaviour (or whatever exactly they do).

wrxsti

Rambo
HSC
Season said:
Not all unis say that honours is complusary but across the board you must have at least 5 years of studying before you can be registered... at least. You cannot be registered as a clinical psychologist with only a 3 year bachelor degree. Which I think is fair enough...
NOT CORRECT!

There are two ways of becoming a registered psychologist: (each way includes the first 3 years of undergrad)

1) Study a further 2 years (masters) to become a "Registered psychologist

or

2) Obtain work with a registered psychologist for 2 years, but the work experience and employer must meet "The psychology board" requirements and criteria.

Sprinkles~

splashing in puddles
HSC
ssejamafone said:
oh ok. Thanks for the replies :)

And, what if i want to become a research psychologist as opposed to clinical? Because, i guess that i've always been interested in the research side of psychology and studying human behaviour (or whatever exactly they do).
Okay, copied straight off the notes we got given yesterday in our pre-professional psych lecture yesterday. Academic psych's work for universities and conduct research, so I'm pretty sure that's what you mean.

What are the main roles of academic psychologists?

* Research and research supervision 40%
* Teaching 40%
* Administration, governance, professional 20%

What do you need to become an academic (research) psychologist?

* 4 year undergraduate degree (preferably with honors)
* Professional postgraduate degree
* Research postgraduate degree
* Post-doctoral position (rare in Australia, many go overseas to get it)
* Research profile
* Teaching profile

Empolyment opportunities: many overseas opportunities; local opportunities fair

What do you need to become a registered psychologist?

* 4 years undergraduate degree (with or without honors)
* 2 years postgraduate degree (ie masters - entry requirements 4yrs undergrad; professional doctorate - entry requirements Honors degree 2:1 or better; Research doctorate - entry requirements 1st class honors or equivalent)
* OR 2 years of supervised clinical experience (they told us that it can be really hard to get especially locally, and costs a hell of a lot per hour)

So basically at the end for your 4 year undergrad degree you can't yet be a psychologist, you need to do postgrad or find yourself somewhere to do supervised experience. You do not NEED to do honors to become registered. Its funny because a lot of people in my course didnt know that and thought they just had to do the 4 years and then they'd be done, so when we had the lecture the other week they were all freaking out hahahaha :p

Last edited:

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
one more requirement for clinical psychologist.. patiences.. :p
some of them look lik they are about to die :)

its why some ppl might opt for research..

ssejamafone

Ninja?
HSC
N/A
Thanks guys. :) But what's this about "Teaching profile"? :confused: How do i get it? Do i have to take a course or something? lol. sorry for sounding like a complete noob. ^_^"

+Po1ntDeXt3r+ said:
one more requirement for clinical psychologist.. patiences.. :p
some of them look lik they are about to die :)

its why some ppl might opt for research..
haha. I'm not exactly a patient person, so maybe research is the thing for me. ^_^

lol. patient.... patience.... patient... lol. I love double meanings.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)