How many.. (1 Viewer)

HorrorOfBeauty

HSC
Related texts do we need to have in our AOS essay, I thought it was one but people are saying two?

Thanks! xx

SSejychan

HSC
HorrorOfBeauty said:
Related texts do we need to have in our AOS essay, I thought it was one but people are saying two?

Thanks! xx
You definitely need to know at least 2 texts. Sometimes the question will only ask you for one text, but more often than not it will ask for 2 related texts. So, yes, you MUST know 2 related texts.

DownInFlames

Token Member
where I spend the vast majority of my time
HSC
You should have two prepared.

The question will probably have wording like this:

In your answer, you should refer to your prescribed text, one text from the prescribed stimulus booklet Journeys, and other related texts of your own choosing

So you have to show you understood the question fully by reading the plural 'other related texts'

hobosexual

HSC
You can go by with only 1 however its best for you to have 2. I had two self selected texts prepared for my trials, but i ran out of time so i did only one - i got 18/20 for it! :D

kloudsurfer

HSC
The AoS questions have always said 'at least ONE' text of your own choosing in the HSC, never 'TWO 'or 'related texts' (plural)

So yes, you can get away with using just one in yout essay. I have in the past and have gotten full marks, and I have read exemplary answers that only use one.

However, I agree that you should have 2 just in case they ask. Its one of those things, like knowing all the Harwood poems or Frontline episodes for the modules in case they ask you for a specific one. Its never happened before, but it could.

pixie.

HSC
kloudsurfer said:
The AoS questions have always said 'at least ONE' text of your own choosing in the HSC, never 'TWO 'or 'related texts' (plural)

So yes, you can get away with using just one in yout essay. I have in the past and have gotten full marks, and I have read exemplary answers that only use one.

However, I agree that you should have 2 just in case they ask. Its one of those things, like knowing all the Harwood poems or Frontline episodes for the modules in case they ask you for a specific one. Its never happened before, but it could.
thats exactly what i thought - prepare 2 but you need only include one in your essay unless they specifically ask for two right?

my teacher told us to write 2. which means 2 prescribed texts (in my case, 2 coleridge poems) one from the stimulus booklet and 2 related texts.

is anyone else finding it absolutley ridiculous that we have to completely analyse 5 texts inside and out, plus introduction and conclusion plus time for planning... all in 40 minutes.

the hsc is the enemy. gr.

sammi260

President of the World
HSC
pixie. said:
is anyone else finding it absolutley ridiculous that we have to completely analyse 5 texts inside and out, plus introduction and conclusion plus time for planning... all in 40 minutes.

the hsc is the enemy. gr.
YES! it is so stupid how many texts we have to write about in such a short period of time. And you spend the first 5 mins planning anyway so you've got 35 mins left and then 5-10 is taken up with your intro and conclusion so that means approx. 5 mins per text! how can you write everything on poems like the rime of the ancient mariner in 5 mins! its ridiculous.

Forbidden.

Banned
HSC
hobosexual said:
You can go by with only 1 however its best for you to have 2. I had two self selected texts prepared for my trials, but i ran out of time so i did only one - i got 18/20 for it! :D
Well of course you should stick with one related text of your own.
You'll begin to lack analysis dramatically if you try to cram in another related text in conjunction with a stimulus booklet text and your first related text of your own choosing.
So for the AOS paper I'm not going to bother with another related text.

LOL at your avatar.

kloudsurfer

HSC
They better not ask for two this year! They never have, but you never know...

My first related text is really good, but my second is really crap...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)