How much can a Band 3-4 affect you? (1 Viewer)

WildestDreams

HSC
How much can a Band 3-4 affect you, say if all your other marks high band 5/band 6?
I tried putting it on an ATAR calculator and it seems possible to get above 95 given the above. Has this happened to anyone??
I'm doing really shit in Phys and wanted to know. Unfortunately it will count towards my ATAR
Any insight appreciated thanks.

D94

HSC
N/A
Well any low mark will affect your ATAR if it counts. That's inevitable regardless of the mark.

Yes it's possible to get over 95, it depends on your marks and how your subjects scale.

aidan059

HSC
Dude honestly same, I'm currently in b4 territory for 2u math somehow even though e4 territory for extension 1 (lol), if it has to count then just put in the extra effort for the rest of the year, it'll definitely be worth it, even if it's just a low band 5 or mid. If you really care about your atar, just take a little bit of time out of your day to put in to physics, may even be 20 mins. Last thing you wanna do is give up on a subject that has to contribute. It will really bring your atar down, and sort of neutralise the impact of good marks some where else. A low band 4 compared to a mid band 5 could be difference between a 91 and a 95

WildestDreams

HSC
Dude honestly same, I'm currently in b4 territory for 2u math somehow even though e4 territory for extension 1 (lol), if it has to count then just put in the extra effort for the rest of the year, it'll definitely be worth it, even if it's just a low band 5 or mid. If you really care about your atar, just take a little bit of time out of your day to put in to physics, may even be 20 mins. Last thing you wanna do is give up on a subject that has to contribute. It will really bring your atar down, and sort of neutralise the impact of good marks some where else. A low band 4 compared to a mid band 5 could be difference between a 91 and a 95
Ahh finally someone in the same position! But yeah your right, I've got to put in a little effort everyday except I just don't feel like it will get me anywhere. Don't really have the motivation :/

aidan059

HSC
Ahh finally someone in the same position! But yeah your right, I've got to put in a little effort everyday except I just don't feel like it will get me anywhere. Don't really have the motivation :/
tell yourself that if you don't you'll thoroughly regret it in a years time, you'll get back your results and think, if all I did was an extra 10-20 mins of physics a day I could of possibly of gotten a high band 5 and could of brought my atar up from say 93 to 96. Trust me a band 3 or 4 doesn't seem that bad when you look at it, but when its in the scheme of calculating and atar it will bring it down ridiculously and not reflect your effort in other subjects.

chickencoop

HSC
Speaking from experience, a band 4 will affect your ATAR quite substantially (igotb4ineconomics), however it does depend on the mix of subjects, strength of your cohort, as well how well you perform in your b5/6 subjects.

A tip however to try and maximise your ATAR, is to focus on the subjects where you are getting low bands, and seek to effectively raise that grade as much as possible. It is easier and far more beneficial to focus on your weak units, rather than to try and ace the subjects you are already peaking in.

WildestDreams

HSC
Speaking from experience, a band 4 will affect your ATAR quite substantially (igotb4ineconomics), however it does depend on the mix of subjects, strength of your cohort, as well how well you perform in your b5/6 subjects.

A tip however to try and maximise your ATAR, is to focus on the subjects where you are getting low bands, and seek to effectively raise that grade as much as possible. It is easier and far more beneficial to focus on your weak units, rather than to try and ace the subjects you are already peaking in.
Thank you, that's what I've been thinking about too. I still have approximately 3/4 of assessments (both internal and external) to get through so hopefully I still have a chance

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)