How much can ATAR be improved after internal assessments (including Trials)? (2 Viewers)

mknn

HSC
The subjects I'm doing are Advanced English, 2U & 3U Maths, Chemistry, Biology, Music 1 and SOR 1.

At the beginning of Year 12 (up to Term 2 of Year 12 or normal Term 1), I was aiming for a 95-98 ATAR, which looked promising since my grade across all subjects was mainly in the high 90s. I was 1st for Music, tied 1st for Chemistry, 3rd for Biology; and top 5 for the rest at my (mediocre) school (approx 130 students).

However, as Term 3 commences, the more I pushed myself (unhealthily), the more my grades started to fluctuate with my highest being 100% and the lowest being 40% (first failure of the year 😐). I've had a history with anxiety and panic attacks, but it was never as bad as this year- 2020 has already been an unprecedented year with all the disruption, then came along the passing of a friend and other personal issues. But I'm still the root of my own problems because I can become quite critical in setting high expectations of myself and would be quite unforgiving when these are not met.

The more I became paranoid about my performance, which escalated due to HSC, the bigger toll it was on my physical and mental wellbeing, and ultimately, my marks and ranks have just been declining. This reaches its climax prior to trials where I possessed a quite negative outlook and burned out that I couldn't really retain any content or practised effectively. I've recently received my trial marks back and am pretty disappointed with most of them.

I've spent some time to estimate my marks and ranks for my subjects (including trial results), with weightings taken into consideration.
  • Adv English - B6 91 (top 1-3/48)
  • 2U Math - B4 75 (6/24)
  • 3U Math - E2 31 (10/15); prob won't count towards ATAR anymore :(
  • Chem - B4 78 (3/10)
  • Bio - B5 87 (2/50)
  • Music - B6 96 (1/12)
  • SOR - B6 45 (10-20/~60)
Putting this into an ATAR calculator (Matrix) estimated an ATAR of 90.25.

I want to do better and I know it is possible since I didn't find the trials difficult - I just wish I didn't let my anxiety engulf me because I know I would have done significantly better with a better mindset and practice as well. I hope to look after myself better from now on to at least do my best in HSC, but rankings used to be my safety guard, and now they're not as good so I'm scared that even if I get decent HSC marks, they would go to someone else instead, and my cohort is also quite underwhelming. I'm particularly concerned about Chemistry since I know that my class is not strong at all and is small in number.

I will do my best and am aiming to bring everything to the next band (ie. all 6 & 5's). But I still want a 93+ (preferably 95) ATAR, what are my possibilities looking like so far?

Thanks.

Last edited:

idkkdi

HSC
The subjects I'm doing are Advanced English, 2U & 3U Maths, Chemistry, Biology, Music 1 and SOR 1.

At the beginning of Year 12 (up to Term 2 of Year 12 or normal Term 1), I was aiming for a 95-98 ATAR, which looked promising since my grade across all subjects was mainly in the high 90s. I was 1st for Music, tied 1st for Chemistry, 3rd for Biology; and top 5 for the rest at my (mediocre) school (approx 130 students).

However, as Term 3 commences, the more I pushed myself (unhealthily), the more my grades started to fluctuate with my highest being 100% and the lowest being 40% (first failure of the year 😐). I've had a history with anxiety and panic attacks, but it was never as bad as this year- 2020 has already been an unprecedented year with all the disruption, then came along the passing of a friend and other personal issues. But I'm still the root of my own problems because I can become critical in setting high expectations of myself and would be quite unforgiving when these are not met.

The more I became paranoid about my performance, which escalated due to HSC, the bigger toll it was on my physical and mental wellbeing, and ultimately, my marks and ranks have just been declining. This reaches its climax prior to trials where I possessed a quite negative outlook and burned out that I couldn't really retain any content or practised effectively. I've recently received my trial marks back and am pretty disappointed with most of them.

I've spent some time to estimate my marks and ranks for my subjects (including trial results), with weightings taken into consideration.
  • Adv English - B5 88 (top 3-5/48)
  • 2U Math - B4 73 (6/24)
  • 3U Math - E2 32 (10/15)
  • Chem - B4 78 (3/10)
  • Bio - B5 87 (2/50)
  • Music - B6 96 (1/12)
Putting this into an ATAR calculator (Matrix) estimated an ATAR of 89.45.

I want to do better and I know it is possible since I didn't find the trials difficult - I just wish I didn't let my anxiety engulf me because I know I would have done significantly better with a better mindset and practice as well. I'm still confident that I can at least get an ATAR of 90, and I hope to look after myself better from now on to at least do my best in HSC. But rankings used to be my safety guard, and now they're not as good so I'm scared that even if I get decent HSC marks, they would go to someone else instead, and my cohort is also quite underwhelming. I'm particularly concerned about Chemistry since I know that my class is not strong at all and is small in number.

My final goal is to get band 6 for English, Bio, Music, SOR and band 5 for the rest. I still want a 93+ ATAR, what are my possibilities looking like so far? I wanted to consider scaling and moderation as well, but wasn't sure if they would increase or decrease my marks.

Thanks.
Atar calculators account for scaling and moderation. 93+ is clutchable, but you have to pull a fat clutch. Worrying about actual scores won't do much, just aim as high as possible.

大きい男

HSC
Are those your raw marks or have you 'aligned' your trial marks using rawmarks .info ? I think with those ranks you should be able to get 95 provided that your school is within the top 100

idkkdi

HSC
Are those your raw marks or have you 'aligned' your trial marks using rawmarks .info ? I think with those ranks you should be able to get 95 provided that your school is within the top 100
"Rank 150" with what appears to be a small cohort, cuz 2u math only has 24.

mknn

HSC
No, I haven't aligned any of these marks (but I've read that alignment doesn't affect your ATAR anyway? just your performance band). And my school is in the top 200 :(

idkkdi

HSC
No, I haven't aligned any of these marks (but I've read that alignment doesn't affect your ATAR anyway? just your performance band). And my school is in the top 200 :(
Use HSC Ninja, put in your school name, and it spits out the number of band 6's your school achieves for each subject, that serves as a better way to estimate your mark.

yooook

HSC

However, as Term 3 commences, the more I pushed myself (unhealthily), the more my grades started to fluctuate with my highest being 100% and the lowest being 40% (first failure of the year 😐). I've had a history with anxiety and panic attacks, but it was never as bad as this year- 2020 has already been an unprecedented year with all the disruption, then came along the passing of a friend and other personal issues. But I'm still the root of my own problems because I can become critical in setting high expectations of myself and would be quite unforgiving when these are not met.

• Adv English - B5 88 (top 3-5/48)
  • 2U Math - B4 73 (6/24)
  • 3U Math - E2 32 (10/15) - prob won't count towards ATAR
  • Chem - B4 78 (3/10)
  • Bio - B5 87 (2/50)
  • Music - B6 96 (1/12)
Putting this into an ATAR calculator (Matrix) estimated an ATAR of 89.45.

I want to do better and I know it is possible since I didn't find the trials difficult - I just wish I didn't let my anxiety engulf me because I know I would have done significantly better with a better mindset and practice as well. I'm still confident that I can at least get an ATAR of 90, and I hope to look after myself better from now on to at least do my best in HSC. But rankings used to be my safety guard, and now they're not as good so I'm scared that even if I get decent HSC marks, they would go to someone else instead, and my cohort is also quite underwhelming. I'm particularly concerned about Chemistry since I know that my class is not strong at all and is small in number.

I will do my best and am aiming to bring everything to the next band (ie. 6 & 5's). But I still want a 93+ ATAR, what are my possibilities looking like so far?

ezaily 93 + dont even worry bout it. DO you go Pymble LC by chance?

Thanks.
ezaily 93 + dont even worry bout it. DO you go Pimbles LC by chance?

TamzidZ

HSC
Atar calculators account for scaling and moderation. 93+ is clutchable, but you have to pull a fat clutch. Worrying about actual scores won't do much, just aim as high as possible.
Bruh fax. Aim for the best you can without stressing about past performance. Internals are in the past so all you can do is your best for that 50% hsc clutch. I believe in you bro good luck.

queenb_3

HSC
Uni Grad
Quick question, why does it matter if the school is within the top 100?

大きい男

HSC
Quick question, why does it matter if the school is within the top 100?
Without knowing exactly who OP is, their school rank is a good indicator of the strength of their cohort and hence the meaning of their ranks. For example, someone who is 20/50 at a top 5 school is very likely to get a better HSC mark than someone who is 20/50 at a school ranked 500th because of the difference in the calibre of the students. A school being in the top 100 is just an empirical indication of how well this student is going relative to the state and would lend to a higher ATAR estimate.

queenb_3

HSC
Uni Grad
Without knowing exactly who OP is, their school rank is a good indicator of the strength of their cohort and hence the meaning of their ranks. For example, someone who is 20/50 at a top 5 school is very likely to get a better HSC mark than someone who is 20/50 at a school ranked 500th because of the difference in the calibre of the students. A school being in the top 100 is just an empirical indication of how well this student is going relative to the state and would lend to a higher ATAR estimate.
Okay, it makes sense now. Thank you.

andryhot7

HSC
I want to do better and I know it is possible since I didn't find the trials difficult - I just wish I didn't let my anxiety engulf me because I know I would have done significantly better with

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)