How much can your estimate drop if you bomb an exam? (1 Viewer)

daylight07

HSC
Hi everyone!

I'm just curious about how much an estimate can drop because I recently bombed a subject (REALLY BAD) which I am good at (ranked 1st internally at school and internal mark of 49/50) and I'm super worried now whether I can even get an E4!! (it's an extension language subject). :(

To get an E4, does bostes take into account your internal marks as well or is it based on external marks only? And how much do you reckon bombing a subject which you're normally good at will affect the atar estimate you received at school?

Thank you!

Speed6

Retired '16
HSC
N/A
Considerably with your situation about 'bombing out' and since it is an extension subject.

Speed6

Retired '16
HSC
N/A
Extension Japanese :( thank you!!
Sorry I couldn't find anything about Jap Ext raw marks-->alignment, people don't seem purchase their raw marks for this subject and even if they do its quite rare, but yeah, nothing I could find...

Just keep your head up and focus on your remaining exams.

koujaku

HSC
It was so unexpected that they would pick the same extract as last year... Went off what I remebered from term 4.

Needless to say RIP.

daylight07

HSC
Sorry I couldn't find anything about Jap Ext raw marks-->alignment, people don't seem purchase their raw marks for this subject and even if they do its quite rare, but yeah, nothing I could find...

Just keep your head up and focus on your remaining exams.
hmmm ok then. thanks a lot for the help! it'll be so sad to drop to an e3 for a subject i did well in and enjoyed so much, but i guess can't do much now... my teacher will be so disappointed though lol :(

daylight07

HSC
It was so unexpected that they would pick the same extract as last year... Went off what I remebered from term 4.

Needless to say RIP.
omg ikr!! i was so mad because there were so many other scenes they could've picked that had more to analyse in them. and i screwed up my part b as well because it took me forever to think and it's sad that i did the worst that i ever did in a freaking hsc exam. >_< hope you did well!

Flop21

HSC
wait what does that mean? sorry im slow lol
Just saw your title, "BOMB EXAM".

Anyway, if you're first internally, that means your internal mark will be the highest EXTERNAL mark you cohort gets. Your exam mark will be YOUR exam mark, whatever that is after aligning. So your HSC mark is the AVERAGE of your internal mark and external.

So obviously your internal mark is probably going to be quite good (depends if someone got a good mark in your cohort, if you all bombed out then...) and will bring up your 'bombed' external mark.

So what do you think you got externally? Raw mark / 50 ? Go check rawmarks.info to see the cutoffs for E4.

daylight07

HSC
Just saw your title, "BOMB EXAM".

Anyway, if you're first internally, that means your internal mark will be the highest EXTERNAL mark you cohort gets. Your exam mark will be YOUR exam mark, whatever that is after aligning. So your HSC mark is the AVERAGE of your internal mark and external.

So obviously your internal mark is probably going to be quite good (depends if someone got a good mark in your cohort, if you all bombed out then...) and will bring up your 'bombed' external mark.

So what do you think you got externally? Raw mark / 50 ? Go check rawmarks.info to see the cutoffs for E4.
hmm i see... after calculating im thinking probably around 40/50 and im hoping that being an extension subject, it would get scaled up 2-3 marks itself. as for my cohort, i think there would be people in my class that will get at least a 46/47 raw mark, so im just hoping thats enough to pull me back up to an e4 :p thanks for the help!

Flop21

HSC
hmm i see... after calculating im thinking probably around 40/50 and im hoping that being an extension subject, it would get scaled up 2-3 marks itself. as for my cohort, i think there would be people in my class that will get at least a 46/47 raw mark, so im just hoping thats enough to pull me back up to an e4 :p thanks for the help!
Yeah I think you'll get E4.

koujaku

HSC
omg ikr!! i was so mad because there were so many other scenes they could've picked that had more to analyse in them. and i screwed up my part b as well because it took me forever to think and it's sad that i did the worst that i ever did in a freaking hsc exam. >_< hope you did well!
I think I did okay... Hopefully.
I felt confident about the fan fiction (lol!) because we've done Mika to death in class, but I don't think I did that well in the essay. Should have done the Internet but yeah mind blank and did the harder tradition question.

Just so mad that they didn't pick an enconfinning scene! Actually so many good scenes that weren't within 5 minutes of last year's question... But I mean, at least you can hope to steal someone's external. Even though I'm rank 1/7 we didn't get any E4s last year, so probably not any marks worth stealing, but we've got a new teacher so hopefully all goes well ^_^

daylight07

HSC
I think I did okay... Hopefully.
I felt confident about the fan fiction (lol!) because we've done Mika to death in class, but I don't think I did that well in the essay. Should have done the Internet but yeah mind blank and did the harder tradition question.

Just so mad that they didn't pick an enconfinning scene! Actually so many good scenes that weren't within 5 minutes of last year's question... But I mean, at least you can hope to steal someone's external. Even though I'm rank 1/7 we didn't get any E4s last year, so probably not any marks worth stealing, but we've got a new teacher so hopefully all goes well ^_^
I agree with your comment about the scenes!! wish they chose a deeper one. i rly enjoy ext jap so im just disappointed that i could've done so much better. and from what you've said, im starting to think that you go to the school two streets down from mine.... lol i may be wrong but i have a friend there who also said they didn't get any E4s last year and have a new teacher :/ up north by any chance?

koujaku

HSC
I agree with your comment about the scenes!! wish they chose a deeper one. i rly enjoy ext jap so im just disappointed that i could've done so much better. and from what you've said, im starting to think that you go to the school two streets down from mine.... lol i may be wrong but i have a friend there who also said they didn't get any E4s last year and have a new teacher :/ up north by any chance?
There weren't even any film technique questions... I dunno what was going on.

Haha. NSG?
Is your friend Arjun? -_-

daylight07

HSC
There weren't even any film technique questions... I dunno what was going on.

Haha. NSG?
Is your friend Arjun? -_-
exactly! seriously wasted my time revising them. and yep hahaha, but nup, Kelvin lol.
sad about atar though, was aiming to try out law

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)