How much do grades matter after Law School? (1 Viewer)

ToodleOoh

HSC
I'm a first year Law student and I just got my mark for my first assignment. I only got a pass... not really used to getting marks like that...

Anyway, so now I'm convinced that after Uni nobody will ever hire me (perhaps a tad melodramatic). So my question is: how much do grades matter after University when seeking employment? Will getting passes ruin my chances of getting a good job?

Thanks =)

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
Yes, marks do matter especially in such a competitive area like Law. If you're not doing well academically, you better have some really good extracurricular activities to make up for it. However, you're only in first year so you have plenty of time to potentially do better in future units of study if not in later assessments of your current ones.

HSC
I think melodramatic is a bit of an understatement here....

Seriously though, uni (especially law) does take a bit of getting used to. Better to get P's etc now than in say your fifth year, when you should have worked out what is needed to do well.

HSC
Def important. You're competing against 1000000000000000 other uni students when you graduate. What makes you so diff to anybody else (thats what the lawyers will ask themselves)

If u can hold a credit average and have a few years work exp you'll be fine, I worked as a paralegal for like 3 years so i think in the grades dep. i dont nec. need to have HD and shit. r u a school leaver? HAve you looked into getting work exp?

Have you got a law buddy at all? they are really good with helping you with problems and stuff esp. assessments! What assessment was this for?

flamearrows

come on die young
HSC
Rather important for the first job or two...after that it doesn't really matter.

Chin up, you'll get used to it and then getting the marks get easier!
I wonder about this. Everything is bell-curved at UNSW, so if someone goes from getting passes to getting distinctions, someone's gotta be going the other way...

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
I wonder about this. Everything is bell-curved at UNSW, so if someone goes from getting passes to getting distinctions, someone's gotta be going the other way...
I'm pretty sure my marks will drop significantly soon, I have an in at the moment and amd working long hours three days a week to try and convince them they need me as a grad even though they have grads from their clerk program

ToodleOoh

HSC
Thanks for the responses guys. The assignment wasn't worth much and it's redeemable (thankfully) so I'll just have to study extra hard to try make up for it.

Thanks for the help :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)