How much do you actually believe in the political system? (1 Viewer)

Do you have faith in politics?

• I think our political systems are creating change and progress. I have faith!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I firmly hold to one side of politics and believe in its ability to create change.

• I believe that it can make a difference, but am dissatisfied with the current political parties.

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • I am disallusioned by the political world.

• I don't care about politics at all. I don't even follow it.

• Total voters

Lentern

HSC
Too complex to lump into one category. I believe politicians for the most part to be noble creatures and can not think of a less faulty political system then ours but suspect under this system the party which can deliver the best government are unlikely to ever be elected.

BlackDragon

HSC
Too complex to lump into one category. I believe politicians for the most part to be noble creatures and can not think of a less faulty political system then ours
The Westminster System (House of Reps, Senate, and Opposition) is a pretty good way to enact democracy. But I certainly don't think this system is the be-all-and-end-all within democracy, and neither do I think that about democracy itself. We need longer terms, firstly. A lengthening of the political cycle will to a certain extent help to remove the populist nature of most governmental terms. And I also think the structure of the government needs to such that it is composed of experts in the various fields of human activity - scientists, philosophers, economics. This is particularly true for the house of reps or what ever will function as the legislative. In terms of the role of the senate, the idea which is in place now isn't so bad, but another option would be to have a house that consists of regular citizens of varying fields that are drawn for a certain term. This could act as a litmus test for the policies that the experts are creating. Though this is problematic.

Also I think that the concept of an opposition, as in two major groups..government and non-government, is overated. There should be a better accountability system than this, which just leads to populism and endless political debate.

but suspect under this system the party which can deliver the best government are unlikely to ever be elected.
What do you mean?

Last edited:

badquinton304

HSC
The Westminster System (House of Reps, Senate, and Opposition) is a pretty good way to enact democracy. But I certainly don't think this system is the be-all-and-end-all within democracy, and neither do I think that about democracy itself. We need longer terms, firstly. A lengthening of the political cycle will to a certain extent help to remove the populist nature of most governmental terms. And I also think the structure of the government needs to such that it is composed of experts in the various fields of human activity - scientists, philosophers, economics. This is particularly true for the house of reps or what ever will function as the legislative. In terms of the role of the senate, the idea which is in place now isn't so bad, but another option would be to have a house that consists of regular citizens of varying fields that are drawn for a certain term. This could act as a litmus test for the policies that the experts are creating. Though this is problematic.

Also I think that the concept of an opposition, as in two major groups..government and non-government, is overated. There should be a better accountability system than this, which just leads to populism and endless political debate.

What do you mean?
Technocracy?

BlackDragon

HSC
To a certain extent, but not completely. An aspect of this would help, its still democratic. One problem is that we can't be completely focused on getting the best result using the best experts because, to a certain extent, there can be no objectively 'best' outcome. Everyone will disagree at some point. So then the question is, do we focus on getting the fairest outcome instead?

Lentern

HSC

What do you mean?
The government will only be as good as the majority will let it be is what i mean.

Lentern

HSC
WOW epic trolling
Yes the intellectual cream of our society, capable of winning top jobs in major firms etc decide to subject themselves to public scrutiny and a middle class wage for the fun of it.

BlackDragon

HSC
Yeah, so this is a valid point. I'm not sure, although I hate to say it, improving society in the sense of always making the best decision can be the goal (or complete goal) of governence. This is because there can be no objective opinion on what the right thing to do is. It might seem obvious that a person that wants to preserve the world around us makes more sense than another person that wants to develop shopping malls for money, but in reality both opinions have validity. So perhaps, frustratingly, one might have to consider that the role of governments is not to make the 'best' decision but to make whatever decision is fairest apriori. (as Kant would say)

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
i believe she's a hum dinger, but side with lentern in saying that it's useless when the people are as rotten as they are.

Also poll options evaluating government based on its ability to affect "change" and 'difference' is rubbish

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)