How much do you need to travel?!?!? (1 Viewer)

milocole

Plane Nut
HSC
NYC is expensive Hotel wise, I payed $450 for two nights there at the Four Points Sheraton at Times Square when it was on sale, although I have heard of sales through the dead periods and for longer stays.. I only went to New york for three days, managed to squish it in as I was craving to go there. Apart from that, I found NY quite cheap. Keep an eye on the exchange rate, looks like its going to sit around the 90c mark now.
-Use the Subway, only $2.25 per ride and frequiences are great. Dont cab it around, waste of cash.
-Dont overtip people, 10% max I say. The only person I tipped while in NYC was the Tour operator. I carried my own bags up to my room (well it does have a handle with wheels), same with shuttle bus, and prob saved like 50 bucks while in the states for the 3weeks I was there.

Typical NYC Budget? Are you in new york for 3 weeks?
-Are you into decent hotels, looking at $150 per night for the longer duration, gets cheaper as you stay longer.
-Flights to NYC allow around $1400 max. Suggest booking via VAustralia for the best experience, with a connection bought seperately with Virgin America/Jetblue ($100 across). Have a look at Delta out of Sydney too, pretty cheap also. Dont book with United, crap product, will be bored out of ur brains.

Depends if you are staying at Backpackers/Using alot of Take-out food, etc...
-

chicky_pie

POTATO HEAD ROXON
HSC
NYC is expensive Hotel wise, I payed $450 for two nights there at the Four Points Sheraton at Times Square when it was on sale, although I have heard of sales through the dead periods and for longer stays.. I only went to New york for three days, managed to squish it in as I was craving to go there. Apart from that, I found NY quite cheap. Keep an eye on the exchange rate, looks like its going to sit around the 90c mark now.
-Use the Subway, only $2.25 per ride and frequiences are great. Dont cab it around, waste of cash.
-Dont overtip people, 10% max I say. The only person I tipped while in NYC was the Tour operator. I carried my own bags up to my room (well it does have a handle with wheels), same with shuttle bus, and prob saved like 50 bucks while in the states for the 3weeks I was there.

Typical NYC Budget? Are you in new york for 3 weeks?
-Are you into decent hotels, looking at $150 per night for the longer duration, gets cheaper as you stay longer.
-Flights to NYC allow around $1400 max. Suggest booking via VAustralia for the best experience, with a connection bought seperately with Virgin America/Jetblue ($100 across). Have a look at Delta out of Sydney too, pretty cheap also. Dont book with United, crap product, will be bored out of ur brains.

Depends if you are staying at Backpackers/Using alot of Take-out food, etc...
-
Thank you so much, you have a lot of knowledge of this. I was thinking of staying 1 hour or so away from NYC so it would be cheaper, like New Jersey, which I heard was less than one hour away, I also was thinking of going to Chicago as well, for sight seeing. As food, it would not be restaurants type every night, more like dine ins and take away or buy stuff from grocery stores there (walmart! lol)

I was thinking for 1 person $1500 for flights, 2-3000k for money (depending on the exchange rate) I was thinking of going during Summer there or at least near the end of Summer in the U.S.

I'm going to need a lot of help on this, so I'm sorry for bugging so much, but any time of next year if I PM you from time to time I would be asking lol

chicky_pie

POTATO HEAD ROXON
HSC
Also to add; whats the best month to go? I was told off season which is feb-april but that seems too early, what if I went during after July, would it be better?

KarmaKitten

HSC
try this site , great website, lots of different hotels/hostels/apartments with different price ranges. I'm going to New York for about two weeks in late June, and googling heaps has allowed me to find some great deals.

I do agree with not taking cabs and not dining out expensively too much.

chicky_pie

POTATO HEAD ROXON
HSC
try this site , great website, lots of different hotels/hostels/apartments with different price ranges. I'm going to New York for about two weeks in late June, and googling heaps has allowed me to find some great deals.

I do agree with not taking cabs and not dining out expensively too much.

I'm going around that time too, how much you paid for tickets? and how much you're going to bring may I ask?

dog on heat

check it out uh uh uh uh
HSC
YMCA is like $99/night

however it is like living in a prison cell

i am not even joking

MonkEE

HSC
N/A
Before you go, consider switching your phone to international mode (Call your dealer).
Food is a bit less expensive there I think. The price was good when I was in NC. You would find they have a whole bunch of fast food places like Ihop, bojangles, cook out etc...you need to give 10% tip for services other wise it is very rude.

Electronics are a bit cheaper there. So is clothing. If you got accommodation covered you wouldn't need to worry that much. You could sure live with about 100$ a day excluding accommodation costs.

btw I am comparing the cost to my time when I was in NC.

chicky_pie

POTATO HEAD ROXON
HSC
^ thanks!!
i was thinking of booking sydney to L.A then find cheap discount flights that will take LA to NYC domestic flights, booking here is pretty expensive!! good idea?

MonkEE

HSC
N/A
Yea you can try go to LA first. But yeah, it is easy to stuff up at airport, might be a hassle.
Check for your airline route, usually it shows express route which could be cheaper. I think LA is the main stop in the US.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)