How much does a High Court Justice earn? (1 Viewer)

Cookie182

Individui Superiore
HSC
N/A
Dont worry, im not planning on becoming one

was just curious....

WannaBang?

HSC
Cookie182 said:
Dont worry, im not planning on becoming one

was just curious....
Like a billion, kazillion dollars or maybe like a billion zillion kazillion million and 250 thousand and like 200 dollars?

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
kirby mentioned it in one of his speeches (i cannot recall which), it was abt $350K p.a., and a bit more for the CJ.

what you want, of course, is the judicial pension. :)

WannaBang?

HSC
Frigid said:
kirby mentioned it in one of his speeches (i cannot recall which), it was abt $350K p.a., and a bit more for the CJ.

That isn't all that much is it, considering they had to work their backsides off for about 50 years before they became one.

Last edited:

Cookie182

Individui Superiore
HSC
N/A
Frigid said:

yea heard that pension is good :)

still im surprised, partners at top tier can earn millions a yr but then again i guess a HCJ still holds a public sector job in the end which pays less

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
Cookie182 said:
still im surprised, partners at top tier can earn millions a yr but then again i guess a HCJ still holds a public sector job in the end which pays less
you don't do the job for the money.

you do the job because it's a source of power. imagine, the law is what you and six other guys say the law is.

Devouree

Good names already taken.
HSC
Frigid said:

you do the job because it's a source of power. imagine, the law is what you and six other guys say the law is.
While I admit that's a good reason, I hope you never become a High Court Justice... or at least I hope I don't ever meet you...:D

Cookie182

Individui Superiore
HSC
N/A
Frigid said:

yea true...be fairly good if you were a corrupt asshole

Jess007

HSC
wow awesome pay..and awesome power...takes a bitch of a long time to get there though...right? :S

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
Devouree said:
I hope you never become a High Court Justice... or at least I hope I don't ever meet you...:D
trust me, i won't.

even if i will, i think you won't.

HSC
Frigid said:

Or girls.

HSC
^ lol 415 k is still pretty sweet as haha regarding making their money.

Yeah they all would have I'd imagine these guys prob would have been the elite when they were practising.

michael1990

HSC
ifsonotso_100 said:
^ lol 415 k is still pretty sweet as haha regarding making their money.

Yeah they all would have I'd imagine these guys prob would have been the elite when they were practising.
The benefits they would receieve when they retire would be awesome.

I suppose they would have made all their money when they were practicing for a Top Law Firm and decided they needed to give back to society?

They would already be pretty wealthy.

jackmurray1989

Mr Mature
HSC
And if they decided to go back into private practice after they retire from the HC they could charge just about as much as anyone in Australia.

Being a HC judge always looks good on your resume.

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
michael1990 said:
I suppose they would have made all their money when they were practicing for a Top Law Firm and decided they needed to give back to society?
none of the current crop of judges came from top tier firms (with the exception of Gummow J, who was once working for Allen Allen & Hemsley (now Allens Arthur Robinson) when "there were... 14 partners, 20 employed solicitors and a group of articled clerks"http://www.hcourt.gov.au/speeches/kirbyj/kirbyj_award.htm. the whole concept of a national 'top tier firm' is a rather modern invention (probably in the last 20-30 years).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)