• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

How Much Does Greater Union Pay? (1 Viewer)

rossverg

HSC
Hey everyone,

I have a group interview with Greater Union coming up soon, but I wanted to ask if anyone knows how much they pay per hour for a 19 year old who is jsut starting out (General Cinema Worker Level 1 or whatever it's called)?? I asked one of the managers a while ago and they told me it was about $11.00 an hour :S.. Not sure if that is the base rate or not but it's pretty low ;S

Any help is much appreciated!

Thanks!

hagrid

HSC
N/A
Greater Union, like most incorporated companies, should be subject to the Federal Minimum Wage, which is $13.74 as of 1/10/07.

For employees under the age of 20 years, there is a percentage applied for "junior" rates. The actual percentage should be laid out in the workplace agreement. For 19 year-olds, 85% is a common figure, so your base rate should be around $11.68.

This assumes that you are a permanent part-time or fulltime employee. Casual employees will be a higher rate as they have a loading to compensate for the lack of other benefits received by permanent staff (such as paid holidays, paid sick leave, etc.). The Casual loading is usually 20%, so a casual 19-year-old should be getting about $14.01 per hour.

rossverg

HSC
Hi Hagrid, first of all thanks a lot for all of that information (Do you work there becuase if you do I have many more questions lol :p)

I tried looking for their workplace agreement a few days a go and had no luck finding anything recent on the WageNet or WorkChoices govt websites :(

rossverg

HSC
Btw if anyone actually works there, can you please confirm what the casual rate of pay is for a 19 eyar old jsut starting out?? I think as a rough estimate Hagrid's guess is pretty close.

^CoSMic DoRiS^^

makes the woosh noises
HSC
can i ask how you got this interview? did you just go into the cinema and ask? because i can never find a jobs section on their website.

Lori.

HSC
as a GCW you should get paid $14.67
If they decide to put you up to a SP1 (which means you'll work in cash handling as well - candy bar or box office) it'll be $16.19

and yes i work for greater union

rossverg

HSC
^CoSMic DoRiS^^ -- I just rocked up to my local Greater Union and asked them if they had any vacancies. They were just about to start their recruitment process for the Christmas period so they gave me a form which I had to fill out and that was it.

Lori - Thanks so much for that info. Just out interest which Greater Union cinema do you work out? Are you happy with it? And what is their flexibility like? I went to the interview just the other day and the manager said we'd mostly be working weekends, Fridays and public holidays but as I ama full-time uni student I might not be available some weekends or Fridays :S

Jachie

it ain't easy being white
HSC
GU's pretty flexbile, especially for casuals. It gets super busy around Christmas/school holidays so you'll definitely be getting more shifts around this time of year than in the 'quiet periods' (Sunday-Wednesday when uni and school are back in) where you could be lucky to get two shifts a week. They're generally really considerate about exams and stuff if that's what you're worried about, talk to your manager and they'll take it into account when making the rosters.

I apparently handed my resume in on the very last day they were taking them. Just rocked up to the counter and was like "are you accepting these?" and the guy was like "Man, just in time, we're hiring like RIGHT NOW." Got the call inviting me to a group interview that afternoon, had the job less than a week later.

Jachie

it ain't easy being white
HSC
Lizakith said:
Oi Jachie, bos meat at your workplace?
Hahahaha, pity I don't work there anymore :eek:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)