• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

How much does internal marks affect your UAI/ATAR?? (1 Viewer)

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
Interesting combination of knowledge... In my Physics class my teacher adjusts marks so that they aren't very far apart (although only in Year 11)... I don't mind since I'm first, I think it is kind of clever.

Thanks for people's contribution to this...

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
Must have very good ranks in order for the final exam to be a true reflection. E.g. if you bludge all year and get a mediocre rank.... say 14/20 and then by the final exam you blitz it you get first in that and you were to get a raw mark of 96 (but of course you won't know this) then it won't be your mark. You will get the mark of whoever get's 14th in the HSC exam (averaged out and messed around with though).

sickk

HSC
HSC rewards consistency, do well through the whole year and you marks will reflect that. stuff around all year and CRAM!! for stuvac and come out with a great mark... tough luck really.. its not the fairest system i guess, but thats the way it goes..

untitled....

HSC
Being in a class with one person means that internal marks don't really matter (unless you have an unexpected addition to the class, later on in the year!). So, in effect, whatever you get in your HSC becomes your final mark since you are automatically ranked first. :)

Rockyroad

Banned
HSC
Must have very good ranks in order for the final exam to be a true reflection. E.g. if you bludge all year and get a mediocre rank.... say 14/20 and then by the final exam you blitz it you get first in that and you were to get a raw mark of 96 (but of course you won't know this) then it won't be your mark. You will get the mark of whoever get's 14th in the HSC exam (averaged out and messed around with though).

Nah you'll get your 96+the mark of whoever get's 14th in the hsc exam all divided by 2. Right everyone?

and lol at the guy who's never seen an 'agressive' female.

youngminii

Banned
HSC
Aggressive is implied when you say female.

Anyway yeah Rocky's right, you get the 96+moderating for the HSC mark. You don't even get the mark of whoever's 14th. There will be a 'range' of marks depending on the lowest/highest mark (excluding outliers) and then based on that, the top mark will be given to the top rank and the bottom mark will be given to the bottom rank. Depending on the total range of the marks to be allocated, the gaps between the ranks of the school assessments will either be stretched or shortened, and then will be allocated. So you won't actually get the mark of whoever came 14th. You'll get the mark that the person who came 14th should have gotten, after making the mark fit into the gaps/ranks.

Rockyroad

Banned
HSC
Aggressive is implied when you say female.

Anyway yeah Rocky's right, you get the 96+moderating for the HSC mark. You don't even get the mark of whoever's 14th. There will be a 'range' of marks depending on the lowest/highest mark (excluding outliers) and then based on that, the top mark will be given to the top rank and the bottom mark will be given to the bottom rank. Depending on the total range of the marks to be allocated, the gaps between the ranks of the school assessments will either be stretched or shortened, and then will be allocated. So you won't actually get the mark of whoever came 14th. You'll get the mark that the person who came 14th should have gotten, after making the mark fit into the gaps/ranks.

hey yea you're right. Now I get what my teacher said - the size of the gaps do matter. thanks.

yummy-cookies

HSC
So if you go to a school where the marks are fairly close together, internal ranks don't really matter so much?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)