How much does the university matter for a BA? (1 Viewer)

Andi0390

HSC
Hi,
I was just wondering, how much does the individual university actually matter when doing a Bachelor of Arts? I'm at ANU and want to transfer elsewhere, and my parents are saying don't do it because ANU is such a great uni blah blah blah. So how much does the uni matter in the long run?

I understand that you can't give an entire prediction on the future, but lets say I completed Arts at ANU or somewhere else like, I don't know even Canberra Uni or Southern Cross (just an example) how, in theory, would this effect me in the long run? Between ANU and this 'lower rated' university?

My understanding of this whole thing is that for competitive courses like Law it matters a fair bit where you go, but because Arts is broad does it still matter much?

I mean should I go somewhere I really want to go because I like the place and the campus and everything, but is not ranked high? Or would I be better of staying at ANU where I don't like the place and the campus but is ranked high?

juggernaut

HSC
Its an arts degree, does it really matter ? Does it really matter where you do any degree for that matter? It probably does for over pretentious nerds.

A degrees a degree - if you go well it doesnt matter where you go (ofcourse people who go to unsw and usyd law/medicine wont let you believe you that)

runnable

HSC
I think I still maintain a Harvard BA has a better chance than UWS BA.

P.S but considering its ANU, I don't think it makes that big a difference.

HSC
I go to university in Queensland, but each uni has its strengths here.

IT & Engineering - QUT
Laws & Med - UQ
Business, Humanities & Education - GU

So have a look at the actual courses. See if any have specific independent creditations. Look at the way the course is constructed. What values does the university hold - are they traditional or progressive? How does this align with what you want?

HSC
I'd say it matters more than any other degree.

With some obvious exceptions law at USyd, UNSW, Mac, UTS & ANU is basically the same. Medicine at UNSW/UWS/UNCLE/USyd is the same too.

With arts the quality to the degree depends greatly on subject choice and variety. I'm not talking in terms of employment but if you actually wanna get the most out of it.

If I were just doing my arts degree I'd prefer to be at a college in hogwarts (USyd) then at UNCLE.

HSC
Its an arts degree, does it really matter ? Does it really matter where you do any degree for that matter? It probably does for over pretentious nerds.

A degrees a degree - if you go well it doesnt matter where you go (ofcourse people who go to unsw and usyd law/medicine wont let you believe you that)
This and...

I'd say it matters more than any other degree.

With some obvious exceptions law at USyd, UNSW, Mac, UTS & ANU is basically the same. Medicine at UNSW/UWS/UNCLE/USyd is the same too.

With arts the quality to the degree depends greatly on subject choice and variety. I'm not talking in terms of employment but if you actually wanna get the most out of it.
this.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)