• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

How much does your own exam mark matter if you are ranked in the middle of a cohort? (1 Viewer)

science

HSC
Ok so I can not wrap my head around the system of ranks determining exam marks in the HSC, can anyone help? I'm just wondering, I'm ranked fairly low in English, but I am planning to study my ass off to try and bring up my mark in English. But even if I do (I'm ranked 20th) and I get a fairly good mark, lets say in the top 10, how much does it really help me? Doesn't my mark just get used by someone else?

Thanks in advance

seventhroot

gg no re
HSC
Re: How much does your own exam mark matter if you are ranked in the middle of a coho

yes;

your final mark is (internal + external)/2 so increasing internal will increase your overall mark

science

HSC
Re: How much does your own exam mark matter if you are ranked in the middle of a coho

yes;

your final mark is (internal + external)/2 so increasing internal will increase your overall mark
Oh cool, am I somewhat right in saying others marks affect yours? For example, I'm first in Extension Maths, i was under the impression that if someone does better than me in final exam, I get some of their mark or something?

seventhroot

gg no re
HSC

Oh cool, am I somewhat right in saying others marks affect yours? For example, I'm first in Extension Maths, i was under the impression that if someone does better than me in final exam, I get some of their mark or something?
yes, just do your best and then you can do well

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A

You keep your own exam mark - so 50% of your final HSC mark is purely dependent on your own performance in the exam.

You get an assessment mark that is based on how well your cohort performs and where you fall in that cohort.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)