How much hard work is needed? (1 Viewer)

asymptote

Hi
im starting yr 12 on monday. how much do i need to work hard????? how much time shold i alot to each subject. im doing 11 units. im doing
maths 2u
maths ext1
chem
phys
IPAT
English standard.

Thanks

bex

HSC
well judging on how much time we spend on here... not that much!

nah umm just be consistant from the beginning and take one step at a time... its all about the rankings!! But dont work so hard that you forget everything else!! Enjoy your last year at school its the best one of all!!:D

SPX

Me too, I'm starting on Monday. I'll be working towards studying from 5:30pm till midnight ad arriving at school on the bell. I need to really work on my Maths and build my ranking to number one in all my subjects, so the harder you work the better. I'm a pretty slow learner so I need to study more than most people. Some people will be fine with just 2 hours every night.

The best thing to do is examine your Y11 marks and see if you study was enough or not.

HSC
To be honest I think most people in my school (Sydney Technical), don't study *that* much until a few weeks before an exam or assessment. And with me I don't study until a week before, :eek:.

So I don't think you would need to study like 6 hours a night at all, unless its a week or two before the exam or assessment. But you should however study an hour or two every night (which is what most people don't do, myself included).

Or you could not take my advice....

kaseita

and just make sure you actually start those assessments a few weeks before they're due, cause you tend to find that suddenly, you have these assessments due in, and you start panicking, and don't end up getting the best marks you can get.
but 6hrs a day? naaah, I tried that. lasted like 2 days, before I went back to my norm 3hrs or so.
i usually worked til 11pm at the latest, but depends on your sleeping habits. if your anything like me, you'll start falling asleep during class :p
those tables were pretty comfy though

FadeToBlack

lonely sunday friend
HSC
I'm starting yr 12 tomorrow too

good too see a few others who are gonna be members for this coming yr 12 year

Do you reckon that its a good idea to come home every day after school and summarise your notes you got in class that day, like say in Word or something...and keep a file of these notes. then near exam time, summarise all these notes again, and there you have it, super condensed ultra-info!.....:worried: would take a lot of pressure off the weeks leading up to exams.

its an optimistic plan, i'm just wondering if its realistic

:apig::apig::chainsaw:

AcCeSs-DeNieD

Just remember to don't go all out when you start year 12 otherwise you'll burn out halfway..... like everyone says.... put the put on the accelerator when the assessments and exams come around and make sure you have enough left in the tank when the Trials and the real HSCs come by =)

hope this helps...

kaseita

you can give that summary thing a try
our teachers told us to do that, but I couldn't be bothered.
just ended up summarising it all during the hols, but hey, good enough for me! might help you, but almost might give you more work than you need to do.
don't do it everyday if your going to though. Just do it at the end of the week, say fri/sat, cause then you do it all at one time, consistently. you'll probably find that during the week, you've wrote down almost the same thing in your notes, and when you go back to write up your summary, you waste your time trying to find those things which you've repeated. if you do it at the end of the week say, then you know what's relevant, so you can just jot them all down.

oh well, too late for me. I burnt out before yr12 had even started! I knew i shouldn't have studied so hard in y11...*grumble*

Jellymonsta

i wound up writing 2 summaries for my courses - the one i did along the way, which wound up containing stuff that i didnt need to study (either because it was really basic, or i knew it really well), and the summary i wrote up last week, which has the stuff i consistently get wrong or need to be reminded of.
id advise getting into the habit of practicing essays and creative stories in time constraints (40 mins) just to get the knack of it. if u wrote one a week, u spend very little time per week, but by HSC u would have done far more than anyone i know has. and they really do get easier the more you do.
edit: although looking at your courses that is hardly relevant.

asymptote

Originally posted by mercurydrinker
To be honest I think most people in my school (Sydney Technical), don't study *that* much until a few weeks before an exam or assessment. And with me I don't study until a week before, :eek:.

So I don't think you would need to study like 6 hours a night at all, unless its a week or two before the exam or assessment. But you should however study an hour or two every night (which is what most people don't do, myself included).

Hi
Syd Tech is a selective school n i go to a public school. in yr 11 i studied at an average of 5.5 hrs which i reckon is not enough.....may be ive to work smart........

asymptote

Originally posted by wallmonger
I'm starting yr 12 tomorrow too

good too see a few others who are gonna be members for this coming yr 12 year

Do you reckon that its a good idea to come home every day after school and summarise your notes you got in class that day, like say in Word or something...and keep a file of these notes. then near exam time, summarise all these notes again, and there you have it, super condensed ultra-info!.....:worried: would take a lot of pressure off the weeks leading up to exams.

its an optimistic plan, i'm just wondering if its realistic

:apig::apig::chainsaw:
Hi
its good to start ur summarising as soon as u finish topics......i didnot do this seriously in yr 11. now id practice this technique. thank got teachers at my school actually told what topic each topic related to....i think i need to work smart not hard....

Lazy

Old Bastard
HSC
Heres some good advice...

No matter what you do dont leave every assessment till the last night, dont buy a new game right before the trials, dont lose all your study notes the week before the HSC, dont work 24 hours a week throughout most of the year, and dont talk to strangers...unless they have candy, then its ok

Follow that advice and you'll do just fine :p

mannnnndy

chocoholic
KEEP UP TO DATE WITH HOMEWORK!!!! Thats the best advice I can give anyone, I didnt do that and now Im really stuffed in some subjects. Its really important 4 u since youre doing 3u maths and you need to keep up to date with the work you get in class.

Originally posted by Lazy
Heres some good advice...

No matter what you do dont leave every assessment till the last night, dont buy a new game right before the trials, dont lose all your study notes the week before the HSC, dont work 24 hours a week throughout most of the year, and dont talk to strangers...unless they have candy, then its ok

Follow that advice and you'll do just fine :p
That is fantastic advice!
Really--avoid leaving assessments till the last night--I left one of my physics ones because I was crammed with bio and chem assessments at the same time, and when i started physics I was up until 5.30 am! (with it due about four hours after that)
not much sleep made me one cranky cranky person!

But seriously, I dont remember worrying about anything at the beginning of the year 12 courses.. was I doing something wrong?

Alex

OMG I luv the perceptions about Sydney Tech and selective schools. I to be honest have always left everything to the last minute and I always cram. I GO TO SYDNEY TECH, I have a life too.

HSC
Originally posted by Sana

Hi
Syd Tech is a selective school n i go to a public school. in yr 11 i studied at an average of 5.5 hrs which i reckon is not enough.....may be ive to work smart........
Hrmm... you're definitely got a good work ethic...

And yes even though its a selective school, we do still bludge... and we're sometimes even overconfident because of that....

5.5 hours? crap, I've never studied that much in a row, ever.... either I'm lazy or an idiot or both...

the last sentence didn't make sense to me :confused:

mannnnndy

chocoholic
Originally posted by Alex
OMG I luv the perceptions about Sydney Tech and selective schools. I to be honest have always left everything to the last minute and I always cram. I GO TO SYDNEY TECH, I have a life too.
so true alex. I go 2 a selective school and everyone assumes I'm really smart and study heaps. :lol: no way. Im the biggest bludger and procrastinator. The worst last night assesment I did was a HUGE research & source analysis task 4 ancient which I ended up doing all in one night and I only got about 2 hours sleep. :sleep: so sana, if u dont want to b really cranky and have big black circles under your eyes learn from my experiences and DONT leave things to the last minute.

schwang_thang

Originally posted by mercurydrinker

uhuh dats right...all u need is 2 do ur hw so u know wtf is goin on in class...n den start studying right b4 ur exams

if ure doin 6 hrs per night omg...no offense but thats freaky! wheres the room 4 tv? :confused: the hsc is next wk n im still watchin every single show i normally do =)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)