how much harder will HSC engineering get? (1 Viewer)

astroman

HSC
So prelim engineering is over and i've got to say that it was pretty confusing and content heavy. Year 12 subject selections are a few days away and i have to decide on whether or not i keep the subject or drop to 10 units (which i really dont want to). My questions regarding engineering studies are:
- will it get much harder?
- is there a lot of content?
- people say that the effort required is not worth the poor scaling, is this true?
- is all the prelim knowledge needed, i really found materials mind numbing.
- how hard is it to get a band 5/6 in it? (i am currently ranked 9/32, cohort is strong)
- should i keep it for the sake of bonus marks?

My uni preferences are most probably going to be:

B.Eng @UNSW
B.Eng @UTS
B.Sci @UNSW
B.Sci or B.Bus @UTS

any advice from 2014 engineering HSC students would be much appreciated.

thx

turnerloos

TAFE Executive Officer
HSC
If you are planning on doing engineering, then keep it for the bonus marks and try focus on it. The bonus marks should offset the known poor scaling of the subject. If you don't like it, then you should re-evaluate your future pursuit in engineering.
bro u dont get bonus points for doing engineering studies if ur gonna apply for an engineering degree. Bonus points for an engineering degree only apply to mx1,2, physics and/or chem (depending on which engineering course)

screwuhsc

HSC
uts offers 3 bonus points for a band 5 or 6 in engineering studies, its not reay hard in yr 12 its just applied knowlege wahtever u learnt in yr 11 its comes again just in different circumstanes it will help in firs yr uni, this is from my bro point of view as he is prob set for a mid band 5 for subject

astroman

HSC
bro u dont get bonus points for doing engineering studies if ur gonna apply for an engineering degree. Bonus points for an engineering degree only apply to mx1,2, physics and/or chem (depending on which engineering course)
they are counted at uts

joannakarlin

HSC
For me Prelim was hell, but I've stuck to it. Although there is a lot of content it gets really interesting, particularly if you want to continue doing engineering at uni. If you want some help/notes on material science just message me, the bonus marks could really help so theres not much point in dropping it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)