How much hours are you studying a day? (1 Viewer)

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
My school doesn't do half yearlies either, we just have assessments but they are not half yearly style persay. They still do them for the yr 11s though.

WitchKingAngmar

Awesomeness
HSC
just putting it out there, you're making it pretty hard on yourself doing standard english and general maths with business, you're going to need to go very well in everything to get a 90+

2-3 hrs a day seems sweet, but to get a 95+ even you need to enjoy what you're doing, and then be bloody good at it so you can think about it and not count it as studying, more like just figuring something out and having fun :)

Last edited:

Spiritual Being

hehehehehe
HSC
Uni Grad
just putting it out there, you're making it pretty hard on yourself doing standard english and general maths with business, you're going to need to go very well in everything to get a 90+

2-3 hrs a day seems sweet, but to get a 95+ even you need to enjoy what you're doing, and then be bloody good at it so you can think about it and not count it as studying, more like just figuring something out and having fun :)
Advanced term 4(12)
drop general most likely as well

lolwot

HSC
1 - 2 most nights, but more if before an exam or if im close to finishing an assignment.

WitchKingAngmar

Awesomeness
HSC
1-2 most nights will get you through prelim... it needs to get bigger a few weeks before exams to get the marks
like 3-4 hrs for the 2 weeks leading up to an exam block etc

lolwot

HSC
1-2 most nights will get you through prelim... it needs to get bigger a few weeks before exams to get the marks
like 3-4 hrs for the 2 weeks leading up to an exam block etc
Thanks for the advice, always great to hear from people who have gone before me. :shy:

starryblue

HSC
i don't think HSC depends on how many hrs you study per day. it depends on how good your memory is. So one person can memorise an essay in 30mins while the second person- 3 hrs: doesn't mean that person B will get a better mark just because they studied more.

anyways, i study 1-2 hrs a day...sometimes less (ie 30mins) sometimes more (6hrs straight because of procrastination D: )

supermario

HSC
2 hours before school and 6 to 7 hours after
spare time i spend it in the gym or sleeping or hardcore fitness training

mnmaa

HSC
N/A
i don't think HSC depends on how many hrs you study per day. it depends on how good your memory is. So one person can memorise an essay in 30mins while the second person- 3 hrs: doesn't mean that person B will get a better mark just because they studied more.

anyways, i study 1-2 hrs a day...sometimes less (ie 30mins) sometimes more (6hrs straight because of procrastination D: )
no

RivalryofTroll

Sleep Deprived Entity
HSC
Uni Grad
Rote-learning worked for many previous HSCers so why wouldn't having a good memory be a factor in HSC success?
It's the truth in my opinion. Memorisation combines rote-learning and understanding though.

Spiritual Being

hehehehehe
HSC
Uni Grad
Rote-learning worked for many previous HSCers so why wouldn't having a good memory be a factor in HSC success?
It's the truth in my opinion. Memorisation combines rote-learning and understanding though.
This is a very debatable topic but I guess it comes down to each individual person. I personally have a very good memory, though does that mean I don't do jack all, rock up to the exam and remember every specific detail of every specific concept in a subject? ... hell no. I think we can agree that all of us need to undertake some form of revision to do well.

zombies

HSC
If you can understand the concepts well of what you're being taught.. that's better than just memorising everyone that's thrown at you.

mnmaa

HSC
N/A
memorisation will get you a band 4, understanding will get you a band 6.

SanjoyM

HSC
Okay, I agree with mnmaa with this one!

For Chemistry and Biology, you MUST understand the concepts and theories and grasp a deeper understanding of, and learn how to apply them to various question in order to attain a mark in the high band range! My friend ALWAYS memorises concepts and theories for Bio (word to word). However, I only read over to grasp an understanding and summarise it in my own words. End Result: I always beat him by 5-6 marks because I understood the concepts and can relate it the question.

However, for Ancient History, it is purely content and so one MUST memorise as well as understand the concepts and content... OMG! Have to memorise 60 pages of notes + 10 pages of quotes + evidence for 2 topics!! 3 more to go :D

For English (Advanced, Extension n Stnd), it is best if you do not memorise an essay as it will be arduous for you to mould into the question if you are not flexible. That said, it is always a good idea to have a prepared response in case it fits into the question, so you conserve time:) I only memorise notes and certain phrases when preparing for essays! What really helps is... it is OBVIOUS... practicing past papers and questions -

In precis (lol), memorising can be helpful, but not beneficial in the long term run as understanding the concept aids an individual 'mould' it into the question better:)

Hazballs

HSC
I don't do that much, on average i think i will do around 2-2.5 hours, however i do no study at all on friday.. and i probably do 2 hours a day on the weekend

HSC
Well, Im actually not studying atm because I get so much homework to do everyday :\ . I will create some notes this school holiday and do 30min on each subject a day ??

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)